Weird Stuff (tinfoil hat wearing goons only, please)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The first time it happened to me I remember I was having a particularly vivid dream about spontaneous human combustion (something that terrified me as a kid). In the dream I burst into flames and at that moment snapped awake, but was completely paralysed. I actually thought I was on fire and it took about 15 minutes before I could begin to wiggle a finger. Absolutely terrifying. It happened a few more times but the first time was the worst.
    I've noticed quite a few times over the years that as I'm falling asleep, half dreaming, I can feel myself slipping into paralysis but with a bit of effort I can fight back against it. This makes me think that maybe it's a natural state your body goes into when you sleep and the waking bit is when something goes wrong, a bit like lucid dreaming. You're kind of seeing behind the scenery

• Ooooof @wookie sounds proper fucked up. Glad Im not reading this alone at night :D How did things resolve?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow wrote:
    The first time it happened to me I remember I was having a particularly vivid dream about spontaneous human combustion (something that terrified me as a kid). In the dream I burst into flames and at that moment snapped awake, but was completely paralysed. I actually thought I was on fire and it took about 15 minutes before I could begin to wiggle a finger. Absolutely terrifying. It happened a few more times but the first time was the worst. I've noticed quite a few times over the years that as I'm falling asleep, half dreaming, I can feel myself slipping into paralysis but with a bit of effort I can fight back against it. This makes me think that maybe it's a natural state your body goes into when you sleep and the waking bit is when something goes wrong, a bit like lucid dreaming. You're kind of seeing behind the scenery

I definitely 'drop' into myself when I'm falling asleep, it's one sign that I'll be asleep soon. It's hard to explain but at some point whilst in bed going to sleep, I'll 'sink' in my head/thoughts and I know I'm a minute or so away from sleepytown.
  • Ooooof @wookie sounds proper fucked up. Glad Im not reading this alone at night :D How did things resolve?
    We moved out and the spooky stuff stopped.

Thing is I never once remember feeling scared, it never felt like whatever was there was trying to be menacing or malicious. It just felt like something else was in our house with us.

If anything after a while I accepted it was probably my grandad who lived and died in that house. It felt somewhat comforting.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Kow wrote:
    This makes me think that maybe it's a natural state your body goes into when you sleep and the waking bit is when something goes wrong, a bit like lucid dreaming.

Yeah when you enter REM sleep your body produces glycine and that basically prevents movement of your limbs, when you wake up suddenly from that state the glycine paralysis can still be active and you're stuck there for a bit until it wears off.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Interesting stories, especially those as kids. The theta /alpha states of out brain wave frequencies must play some part in this. As we hit puberty it switches to beta where we remain all our adult lives apart from when we sleep and the brain switches back to theta waves. Adults switch to alpha when in a light trance or meditation.

We have a limited perception of 'reality' which is produced by our brain as adults in the beta wave frequency. We can only see a limited tiny band of the electromagnetic spectrum via our eyes. So when people experience 'night terrors' maybe its because the brain is in the theta state and its a different 'reality' they are perceiving which is all around us but our conscious beta brain tunes out?

Just a thought. Its often been said anecdotally that children can see things adults cannot. That popped in my mind a short while back. I took my son to tesco's and there's a shortcut to tesco that cuts 10 minutes off the route of we go down a certain street then a footpath behind the houses on that street. Everytime we come to one particular house along the way my son bursts out crying. Full blown tears and want to get out of the pram and be held. Its happen everytime we walked passed this certain house. We now dont take this shortcut anymore because it upsets him (he's 2) but it does make me wonder if hes perceiving something i can't. The house looks identical to every other house on that street (terrace housing). Bizarre.

Anyway im sure i've told my own shadow person story o here before, so i wont repeat it. Needlessly to say, i wasnt asleep or alone. My was in the daytime as a child with my best friend at the time in tow. Simply the most scary experience of my life.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    ...it switches to beta where we remain all our adult lives ...

Speak for yourself. Nothing about my brain is Beta. Pure Alpha Chad energy.
  • Forgot to ask, for people who had these expereinces do you or did you have any religious items on the walls in the house or are you/your parents (if it happen as a child) religious?

Every house i have moved into or my parents have moved into, one of the very first things they have done and subsequently taught be to do is the following:

1. Play the adhan (call to prayer) loudly enough once when you move in so it can be heard throughout the house.

2. Read ayatul kursi (a surah of the quran) out aloud in the house and put a copy of it up on a wall in the house (to ward off evil spirits).

3. Have a Khatum (the spelling of the word is probably wrong ) where you invite friends and family to pray and bless your house and they feed them.

It maybe a muslim thing with islam. Just wondered of othe people did anything similar when moving into a new home within their religion.
  • Nope, there was nothing religious in my house, my nan went to church and sometimes we got dragged along but my folks are basically secular and we had no crucifixes or lil pictures of Jesus about the place or anything like that. Although I guess I wasn't being haunted by spooky noises and stuff in my case. 

Also for the sleep paralysis people, this is a really cool article imo that breaks down exactly what is going on, and also has some useful stuff in there about what can cause it to happen which may be useful to people who had/have it, because there are things you can do help the situation.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I think humans are naturally drawn to the supernatural, and their ability to empathise through the recreation of another person in their own mind creates the opportunity to believe in spirits and ghosts among other things. The only unwelcome visitors you need to be scared of in your own home and weird uncles and people who break in. Both of whom you should be able to kick fuck out of.
  • I had night terrors as a kid. Properly awful. It was like seeing everything at once. As in the entire universe, a scale so large it was terrifying. And on top of it a deafening rising sound. Got so bad my parents took me to the doctor whose only advice was to limit my TV watching.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Just wondered of othe people did anything similar when moving into a new home within their religion.

This is my method:

giphy.gif
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No religious guff in my house ever.
  • There was one flat I moved into which had a bottle of holy water sitting in one of the cupboards. Well, I assume it was holy water. It was a little plastic bottle with a label that said HOLY WATER and nothing else.

Spoiler:
  • I......think we had a Jesus portrait at the top of my stairs. I think. 
    Im amazed at how many of us have stories to be honest. Looks like there is a lot to discover still about sleep. But I think you are right Dino, many of these stories are from childhood, especially concerning sleep. My gut tells me all those stories arent a million miles removed from DMT/mushroom experiences. 

Mind you my gut is also telling me to go make a cheese sandwhich.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Warning, this is pretty jesus fuck horrifying - This is what it’s like waking up during surgery

That happened to a friend of mine when she was having an emergency c-section. She felt everything but couldn't say anything.
  • I've only had one sleep paralysis experience and I was 22.

Also no religious stuff in any of the 12 places I have lived over the years.
  • All I know about house weirdness is that you shouldn’t have two mirrors facing each other as it opens portal to hell, and that peacock feathers let satan see into your house.
  • Also it will make your render times take forever.
  • Yep.

I love stuff like that though. I am not religious in the slightest despite being raised Catholic, but those kind of superstitions are still stuck under my skin.
  • Mama Div goes in on those old wife tales type ones.
    Woe betide anyone that puts new shoes on the table.
  • Something about green being a bad colour as well but I'm pretty sure that tracks back to my paternal and maternal grandmothers families both being Protestant weegies.
  • You say that but last Friday I’d had some new trainers delivered. My son had put the new box on the table and then that night we didn’t win Euromillions. Proof.
  • Yeah that'll explain why mama Div wins every week.
  • Green’s an unlucky colour where I come from, and I think it’s the same in fishing/maritime communities everywhere. Green is the colour of land so it’s an unlucky colour to paint a boat. Green boats will sink. It persists as an old wives tale to this day - I bought a green car once and my Mum’s instant reaction was ‘Oooh, that’s brave of you. Unlucky colour for a car.’
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I had a green car once, wrote the bastard off in a crash
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    I think humans are naturally drawn to the supernatural, and their ability to empathise through the recreation of another person in their own mind creates the opportunity to believe in spirits and ghosts among other things...

Sooo, who ITT (or anyone they know) believe there’s a god watching our every move?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • He'd be fucking disgusted with me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t watch everyone’s every move.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!