Dishonoured
  • It wasn't until the 2nd play through that I really got to grips with it. I paid more attention to the details and it added a lot of context to the various jobs I was meant to be doing, making the decisions seem more interesting and weighty.
  • Ive replayed a few stages several times but thats another goal of mine, to give it another full run, while ignoring the stupid parts (Like playing dear esther with the narration off)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Its not particularly a plot that runs parallel to the main blithering, like some furtive transplant, its a variety of information, from text to environment, that tell the story of the world the game is set in There is no shortage of it, it is consistent, it is well written and sometimes a little leftfield,its clearly produced by the architects of the game and the junk you follow to get to the end of the game is shallow anathema to the depth of the world created by the very many cues dotted around the areas

Ah, the anally retentive background garbage. Thought so.

Look fine, if this kind of stuff floats your boat, good luck to you. Personally, I'm again finding a videogames trying and failing to deliver a decent narrative because (surprise, surprise) videogames are a terrible medium for telling stories. They're a great medium for letting you create your own story, but they're terrible for telling them. The whole fact that most of this amazing additional story you're talking about is told through text on a screen only serves to illustrate just how terrible at telling stories they are.
  • You're generalising again, Yoss. People who generalise are never taken seriously.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Books are terrible at playing video clips. Hey look, another generalisation. I suppose you won't take that one seriously either.
  • No I won't. Cos it's you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose it's easier to not engage with an argument you're clearly losing.
  • ohhhhh this is about that other thread. ad i love how you called the strong sections of the game storytelling 'anally retentive background garbage' sorry to say it but youre coming across as a bit of a bigot, with little comprehension of the dissonance between the craft of the game and the featherweight central plot

sorry yoss big love and all but the notion is absolute horseshit, it benefits from being able to deliver ANY kind of media, and can tell a story in endless numbers of ways, including good old fashioned text (although dishonoreds best details are environmental) - of course its most celebrated delivery is enviromental (there is a wealth of environmental detail in dishonored that invites analysis), where you can read the events that went before, maybe contribute to them by your own actions, you know WRITE THE GAME BY HOW YOU PLAY IT *RAINBOW FACE*. garbage, the beauty is the unity of recognied media that can resonate with the uninitiated and the more emergent results based on your actions. I dont know if you make games, or have ever tried to make a game, but generally the emergent stuff goes in the 'if only we had 500 million dollors to make a game with and the most mindbendingly multidimentionallly aware writers in history' because like it or not with no strong narrative ancyhors by fucking good writers the self creating wondergame is sunk, and trying to explain to a publisher that your game will be great, it'll just spout garbage from a huge resource of garbage to help you relate your actions to any notion of progression will not go down well

The anal retentive shit you were dismissive of, was the game, and to seriously group that level of talent behind the production of the game to taking that bullshit main story seriouslys a massive insult to the developers. I thought by now, we all being now in our late 20s or 30s, understand that even te most daring of games have to make concessions or they will get no backing. The bits in dishonored where youre talking to those twats in the pub endlessly and its all so incredibly backwards is a vast contrast to the nature of the game when youre actually in a proper stage, feeling born to thump people on the back of the head and the main plot stuff being pretty minimal and all the interestng stuff about the game world and the weirdos who inhabit it are at the fore,in fact fun curios everywhere even without reading the backstories and threads scattered about, which you obviously read with consideration given the preconception youve made about any narrative content that isnt a lumbering scene where you know exactly whats going to happen from quite early on

The main thing that irks me with this judgement is youre implying the developers are fucking retarded, i think anyone who has ever seen a film can find the obvious plot stuff purely by numbers. Demeaning a lot of hard work and clear love for the game because you had to read it yourself, and its making a bold attempt to offset the massive shortfall in the main plot, is pretty lame, and when peple say in regard to games as a media that storytelling is only relevant if you 'make it as you play' clearly has no comprehension of what tat actually involves, and imo the beauty of the mediu, that i hate calling games, is its easy unifcation of all media, and using all that media to create a experiene of your own and even more, being able to unify then subvert traditional media, do anything really!

Man I feel quite strongly about this game dont I

Fact is the main plot is a pile of crap. And I genuinely think it has very little to do with the direction of the main brains behind it intended. It suffered from having to make mney seem likely given it was a new ip and the people with money, you could call them savvy, i call them massive cunts typically had their lackeys stamp all over it wherever they could. 'sorry thats too weird, it cant go in' it turns up later in a text in some remote room, but as you didnt write that text yourself its valueless

if you wanna play a game where the experience is to make the story happen via gameplay, get unity and simply treat the process of making a game like you were playing a game
  • Who you talking to? Yoss seems to have disappeared.
  • Mainly at yoss, his theory about self propelled narrative creation is as wonky as using more well known media, a game experience needs to be cogent and given the experience could be absolutely anything imaginable, every available media is a tool, and the make the story as you play it hoo haa is a lovely idea and id love to see a strong system able to drive that in a structured way (so in pure practical sense the code isnt a horror) but its a bit away. If he means the recounts you might give of playing a game with a fixed narrative but broad gameplay options whre you beat a section in an ingenious way and that itself was a story, then i belive strongly that games do provide that kind of experience, but since dishonored actually offers this constantly and we can almost all agre you have to stray the beaten path to find the meat of the game world, im wonderng simply that yoss is sad the often very beautiful game art doesnt build itself based on which guard you killed and and some jaunt into entirely procedurally generated territory was to be expected, maybewhere if you like walking slowly in the game its all meadows or something, youre creating thestory yourself man, its good news arkane employed the entire population of china to create the outsourced assets
  • I know. I was posting in jest, pretending I've put Yoss on ignore.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    If he means the recounts you might give of playing a game with a fixed narrative but broad gameplay options whre you beat a section in an ingenious way and that itself was a story, then i belive strongly that games do provide that kind of experience.

This is precisely what I'm talking about. The OCD filling in of every possible facet of the backstory of this world gets in the way of that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    If he means the recounts you might give of playing a game with a fixed narrative but broad gameplay options whre you beat a section in an ingenious way and that itself was a story, then i belive strongly that games do provide that kind of experience.
    This is precisely what I'm talking about. The OCD filling in of every possible facet of the backstory of this world gets in the way of that.

I disagree simply because unlike the stuff youre forced to watch, you can completely disregard the peripheral material at will. Its a pity if you do because in it i found a pretty fascinating alternate reality and very disturbing relationships between corvo and the other 'blessed' characters. I imagine this is expanded on in the dlc, as daud is apparently not the villain he's painted to be and corvo's qualities may be cast into doubt.Not much of this is covered in the narrative thats forced on you and the change in dynamics between the 'story' bits and the actual playing the game is profound. In fact one could possibly assume that the home base bit was a bit shoed in....

It's because the gameplay is so deft and liberating and exploding with decisions (and im seeming a bit hyperbolic but plain exhilirating at times)that i cant accept the main plot to be what was originally intended or the devs just hoped the players could understand themselves what was the vision of dishonoured and what paid the bills, the material where you actually play the game is in stark contrast to the material youre forced through in both tone and maturity cause some of its pretty spooky, to use a nice word

One critcism you cannot aim at dishonored is an inability to make the experience your own, theres ingenious ways to do most things and often one act will start a random chain reaction which can be very funny when observing from a hiding point (had some fun with those electricity generators). I understand if you want to champion the game's generosity in this case but itsa totally different context to the type of narrative anchors needed to keep a game going from start to end. The forced plot was guff, that was the sad but unavoidable concessio that had to be made, the more interesting things i cannot see as ocd blitherings because to me theyre the game as it is intended by the developerws rather than the publishers and its tonnes more interesting than the forced stuff, to the point you shouold probably plain ignore the forced stuff in terms of it being anything of consequence towards what makes this game so special. Prewritten story aside however, Dishonoreds generosity with options is a feast, in general sneaky disabling folks to scripted sequences so along with a developer biased background thats entirely optional to involve yourself in, the core of the game is sleek and sharp as corvo himself is, and where you're not being a massive badass is the forced story bits and these are the only real problem i could level at the game

Game of the generation and maybe sad reminder of how poisonous ignorant investors are to creativity, but i think they did a great job in supplying lots of material that was much more engaging than the main story and it was actually interwoven with the gameplay sequences, not some daft timedragging homebase area, and fuck the story frankly, i have never felt so deadly in a game in all my years and the liberation makes you lightheaded at times, and nothing else of the singleplayer type came even near to making me feel so empowered
  • So Mod and Yoss are the same person, or what? I'm confused.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have far too much self-awareness to be Mod.
  • Roujin wrote:
    So Mod and Yoss are the same person, or what? I'm confused.

Mod's his Dad. They haven't spoken since 1997 after a disagreement about the story arc of Mario 64.
  • Is this one of those games that's designed around a joypad and so is better played with one, even though I'm sitting at my desk, rather than a mouse and keyboard (which I generally prefer for FPS)?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The control layout is much like Bioshock's which I remember was fine for M&K. Only played it on PS3.
  • Hmm... I've only played Infinite on PC and that felt odd with K&M.
  • Not at all.  I switch between k&m and joypad - even during a session.  Both control wonderfully.
  • Maybe odd isn't the best word, but it definitely felt like Infinite's controls had been designed for a joypad.

Anyway, I'm going to start with K&M.
  • And now I'm here 'cause I forgot to plug my joypad in before starting the game and the movement feels stodgy on K&M.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Abuse Blink. 50% of what makes the game fun.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Abuse Blink. 50% of what makes the game fun.

This. Most liberating mechanic i've experienced in a videogame in quite some time. The fact the game is not completely broken by it, in fact is practically bulletproof, stands testament to the talent of its creators.

Also, you start the game already feeling pretty badass (after the first 'level'). You only get more badass
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I got bored of this towards the end. Can't remember exactly where I reached, but I suddenly lost motivation for it. Ho hum.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I got bored of this towards the end. Can't remember exactly where I reached, but I suddenly lost motivation for it. Ho hum.

I think on the level where you break into that big armoured compound thing i started thinking 'okay i'm maybe a bit too badass now'. Had gotten pretty godlike by then and that kind of undermine the compulsion to play the game to 'beat' it, since i was able to more or less toy with everything

That bridge level though
  • You lose the variable walking speed using keyboard but you have superior aiming for blink.

I remapped the mouse buttons as I think they default to combat which I avoided completely. I only used blink (not upgraded) in my playthrough.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    I only used blink (not upgraded) in my playthrough.

That's pretty impressive! I went about things the opposite cept ideally no kills. With time stop and upgraded blink the game is quite a brilliant playground, there's some scripted bits i was disappointed that they didnt have reactions anticipating what i did, because id have thought something that obvious but made the game ingenious had been covered in the script. The reactions still fit i guess but weren't as specific as i'd like.

Actually tbh i just wanted the game to go 'grats chris very clever have yourself some alternative voice acting'
  • I've been killing all the motherfuckers. I start sneaking, but it never lasts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!