Dishonoured
  • Knife of Dunwall currently downloading. Revengeance DLC now done, was a bit disappointing. Hopefully this is gonna be great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Will get on this as soon as I've finished the brilliant Tomb Raider, will be great to be back.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Started a play through of this yesterday. I made it up to the third level and then spent about five hours just wandering around that. It's absolutely huge. Are all of the buildings you can enter related to the missions or are a lot of them side quests?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Most are just there to provide character/looting/vantage points for blinking. Lots of the rooms tell unique stories just from object placement.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, all of the damn storytelling is quite annoying.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's to contrast the regenerating health.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh no wait
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does regenerate, just not all of it. A system that sounds mightily similar to a certain Franchise whose name I forget.
  • Aw man I really need to get back to my second play through and finish the DLC, such a great game.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Homo: Anally Wrecked.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You have permission to use that one in the playground.
  • Looking back, this is easily one of my favourite games from last gen.
  • Might possibly be my absolute fave game from last gen. Still havent even finished it, at the flooded district. Looking forward to finishing the main game and the dlc.

I cant think of.. reallly.. any large budget game? as ingeniously designed as this. The overt storytelling just seemed to be box ticking to get financed, the subtle, sometimes meticulous environment details, hidden aeas with strange things in them, moral choices in 'jobs', the little hints of thegame universe here and there all contributed for me to a very well considered and imagined game universe that often verged towards the disturbing, and you could pretty much ignore the main plot, take in what the writers actually want to say in all the ways they could say it and have a game that has been criticised for a bit of a cheap story when really if you want to look for it, the story and background is great, intriguing and just makes you want to know more about the forces at work. If you criticise it on the story, you definately havent been looking hard enough, and I think this is a game that actively rewards you for using all the skills at your disposal to get into every nook and cranny and absorb all the thought that went into it

When I talk about ingenious design though im not referring to the story, im referring to the fact that a considerable number of abilities you pick up during the game would completely break lesser games within the first.. i dont know... 10 minutes of gameplay. The most used ability, i think, is blink, a power that teleports you some distance forward. The amount of design and consideration needed to make the levels bulletproof to that one ability boggles the mind. Top of their game.  Then you have the time changing abilities (That can be used in several events to create some pretty funny emergent situations) and the other skills, that have potentially huge implications on how the game operates, and they're all implemented faultlessly, i never once ran into a bug with any of them, the environment design, enemy AI events and so on were all absolutely unbreakable (i had a good go) - And all that working so solidly was, to me, ingenious.

Then add the accruing of these skills (especially when you upgrade blink) and becoming proficient with them and the gameplay becoming absolutely thrilling even on the streets of the city - The game even starts with your character being an unstoppable machine of death, by the time you're a good length into the game you're a blur of one ability to the next, you feel absolutely unstoppable while every action is fluid, you use the right skill for the job, instantly, even knowing the gameplays suddenly going to change a bit, then straight into the next skill and you're effortlessly moving in all dimensions, actively enjoying dispatching (or in my case, disabling) foes in as creative ways as possible, and you can get pretty creative.

Although I thought all the levels were strong maybe apart from the opening section which was a little confining and really completely misrepresented what the game intended to offer, i'd say the bridge level was the high point. I don't know what kind of level spawning deity laboured that out but it had it all, multiple routes, a bunch of opportunities to show how deftly you could navigate 3d space and overcome problems, and how deftly the game itself offered you the options. And the navigation of the bridge up to the top and a blink aided descent was a perfect example of how liberated and free you could feel during that game

Yeah, may game of the generation, a brilliant mix of creative and enjoyable stealth, that merged easily into acrobatic and truly liberating movement in all dimensions, the speed of which could change rapidly so situations needing quick reflexes could easily segue into pretty cheeky rendering unconscious a guard and i'm not sure i really have felt that range of action in any other game

You start the game as an absolute badass, you feel like an absolute badass, and this just keeps escalating as you play and it's a very empowering feeling, i've never felt so capable as a character in a videogame as I have in this game, where, while i havent finished it (as far as i know im on the last level), the previous level was a hugely entertaining blend of stealth and daring do, fucking with just about everything to get a dent route in and out and i just felt unstoppable. Thing is though you can be stopped, there is challenge in this game, and that again is ingenious.

Finally - the other bits that arent the main gameplay - story based gameplay sections and suchlike. I loved these too, you were usually given a good deal of choices, sometimes funny, sometimes completely fucked up, these being choices that might affect the behavior of an npc, but the navigation of spaces when you need to reach an area, or tail someone, was always kept interesting and even, imo, just 'cool looking', like the tailing you do of a character in an early level on the roof beams, something thief 4 seems to have tried to implement but come short as a game (which has really disappointed me)

I dont know why im writing all this, maybe a retrospect and respect of what was i think easily my fave single player game of the generation - A game in which there is a sequence in which you are somewhat tricked into a duel, using pistols, and during this duel you can wait for your opponent to fire, stop time, walk over to him and snatch the bullet he fired out of the air, walk back to your position, load your pistol with the bullet you were being shot at with assuming your pistol had no rounds, restart time and shoot your opponent with his own bullet, is a game that belongs in my heart for all time
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    If you criticise it on the story, you definately havent been looking hard enough.

Nonsense, I've been looking plenty hard, I've read loads of books, listened to all the audiologs, done every side mission that I've come across and explored every nook and cranny. The problem isn't not looking hard enough, the problem is that the story is rubbish and there's far too much of it getting in the way of a decent game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I hate agreeing with Yoss
  • I would hate agreeing with him too. Good job I disagree, then.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I would hate agreeing with him too. Good job I disagree, then.

It's a shame you don't hate being wrong.
  • nope yoss, youre wrong, and thats pretty much it. i found the problem with the story was that it felt completely split, there was a completely dumb half including the see it from miles off twist that i assume was there to make old, deserve to be dead financiers give it the green light, and a completely intriguing half that didnt try to form a typical narrative and helped instead for you to understand the game world and the events that happen in it based on the game worlds principles. If you try to mix any of that with the asinine central narrative, you cheapen it, but taken as what i consider to be the decent writers integrating the valuable stuff as much they could, its satisfying reading

dont agree with yoss, muzzy, hes wrong, and i hate diagreeing with muzzy magee

yoss you're wrong, wrong cubed, you just made the mistake only completely wrong people make (theyre probably idiots and inbred too) that that monkey toss they make you sit through when you should be getting stuck into the hearty core of the game is of any consequence at all when held against the artwork, mechanics, environmental design and surprises here and there throught a game that was clearly made by a bunch of very clever people who would be fully aware of what toss they had to include to get the money to get their game made

yoss is now the official forum standard bearer for wrongness
  • AND JUST TO ADD TO HOW WRONG YOSS IS

any of the story you actually had to sit through was probably the rotten monkey jism mr moneybags thought would be cool
  • Yossarian wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I would hate agreeing with him too. Good job I disagree, then.
    It's a shame you don't hate being wrong.

Actually I do. Good job I'm not wrong.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    a completely intriguing half that didnt try to form a typical narrative and helped instead for you to understand the game world and the events that happen in it based on the game worlds principles.

I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to here.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yoss likes his stories to have a beginning, middle and end where the good guy beats the bad guy, gets the girl and maybe even has 'sex time' with her as Yoss so often mentions.  Always on about the sex time.  Gunn is getting carried away but yos, there was plenty under the surface.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I liked the story, but mainly I liked having a good time and devising ways to be a bit creepy.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    a completely intriguing half that didnt try to form a typical narrative and helped instead for you to understand the game world and the events that happen in it based on the game worlds principles.
    I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to here, you mental.

Harsh words, but perhaps fair.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Yoss likes his stories to have a beginning, middle and end where the good guy beats the bad guy, gets the girl and maybe even has 'sex time' with her as Yoss so often mentions.  Always on about the sex time.  Gunn is getting carried away but yos, there was plenty under the surface.

All I see is a load of anally retentive background garbage which does not a narrative make.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I should say. I am really enjoying the game though. I must've put almost 10 hours into it already, keeping deaths to a minimum, exploring, learning my way around. So far I've made it to the start of chapter 3.
  • The gameplay is shittingly brilliant. The sense of empowerment is thrilling.
  • I'm not getting carried away its pretty simple, and if you weren't capable of seperating market forces driven nonsense that was the main plot and the stuff written by the clever people behind so much of the clever stuff in the game, you didnt look hard enough at all, you pobably said that to ensure m you really had fully experienced the games 'lore' to the fullest, when you'd complained about all that shitty story you had to watch, which was all the shit bits of the story! I sense hoo haa on a large scale. It just seems youre incapable of not getting the story bits that actually finance a game with so much testing and content mixed up with the actual clever bits

I'm happy to say the main story is dross. Im very happy to say the story hidden in the environments and the backrooms is very entertaining and solid. The story you experience outside the main plot also tends to have absolutely fuck all to do with the main plot, which makes me confused how your mind melded them together

Game devs at this level are not dumb people, theyre extremely clever people, and the game was in the works for a while. Unfortunately you cant make a game like that with a bunch of students chipping in with their free time. At least respecting what could be considered the genuine vision of the game (Reflected in absolutely every other aspect of its production) is nice, and might be super useful in analysis of similar games (like how bioshock infinite shared the same play idea but was turgid bullshit with nothing like the nuance pervading the darker corners of dishonored)

Disappointment with every part of dishonored where youre watching a by the numbers formulaic plot unfold when you want to be zipping around a beautiful environment like some kind of god ninja is, genuinely, a big bunch of bollocks, but none of the story i liked in the game was in those sections
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What is this plot outside of the main plot you're talking about?
  • Its not particularly a plot that runs parallel to the main blithering, like some furtive transplant, its a variety of information, from text to environment, that tell the story of the world the game is set in

There is no shortage of it, it is consistent, it is well written and sometimes a little leftfield,its clearly produced by the architects of the game and the junk you follow to get to the end of the game is shallow anathema to the depth of the world created by the very many cues dotted around the areas

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!