The pit(figher)s - the worst games ever.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

I may have been unduly harsh on Sonic Spinball... This vid looks pretty cool...
    Fuck welching on Zool though... That was a thorough ted'...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The Order 1886
    The Forum Herald™
  • At last, the prophecy has come true.
  • Diggin' deep Bob, diggin' deep.
  • Surprised I never posted in this thread.

I'll only go with games I've personally paid for.

Rise of the Robots

I loved fighting games and Queen.

Utter shite.

Driv3r

Loved the first. Never played the second.

Bought this on release. Got it home, and you drive for a couple of minutes, then it becomes a terrible GTA clone, but your character has the turning circle of a logging truck, and the first mission is running up staircases while being shot at.

Thankfully I haven't bought too many bad games.

I agree that Goldeneye is and always was shit. Terrible default control scheme ruined the game.

They should have used the C buttons as wasd, and the analog stick to freely aim while moving as the default.
  • I just learned to get good with whatever controls were available at the time.
  • I think I can happily put Devil May Cry 2 in as one of the worst in recent years. Not only is it piss poor any way, but given the originals quality and the fact it superseeds the sequel in every way - graphics, gameplay, sound, design, story, controls... Yeah, DMC2 was awful.

Also one of the latest wwe 2k games (think it was 17) Got it from steam at a cheap price and it looked decent but the reversal system is a game breaker (maybe I was missing something) It basically meant that if your guy had the most reversals you would always be winning. absolutely stupid.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Krusty's Fun house on the SNES need to go on the list.
  • This whole thread was a quality re-read.
  • Bob wrote:
    The Order 1886

Good shout.
  • Far Cry 5's story is unbelieveably shockingly fucking awful and bad and they should feel bad for making it.
  • Krusty's Fun house on the SNES need to go on the list.

No way! I enjoyed it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:

No way! I enjoyed it.

Me too!

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I remember taking it back to HMV the day I bought it.
  • Really? You went HMV then home then gave it a go then back to HMV then home again.

I'm calling bullshit. You loved it. You still play it now in fact and you made up that story to deflect from the truth. You LOVE that game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Really? You went HMV then home then gave it a go then back to HMV then home again.

I'm calling bullshit. You loved it. You still play it now in fact and you made up that story to deflect from the truth. You LOVE that game.

Seriously, I was scared they wouldn't give me my money back (or exchange it, can't remember what I did) and that was a huge amount of money for me at the time. 15p bus fare and half an hour was insignificant in comparison. I think I played it for about 30 minutes.
  • I loved Krustys fun house on the megadrive, pretty sure it’s the same (if not even worse).

I remember being REALLY stoked to get fighting force on ps1 for my birthday, and completing it that afternoon with my brother. I played it through a few times though later.

I also remember really liking dmc2, it was nowhere near as good as the original but it was still more dmc, I even remember reading the bad reviews and agreeing with them, but still playing it three times through.

I think my biggest disappointment was Turok: rage wars. That was not very good at all, and was basically a gash multiplayer only game.

• Modern games don't tend to plumb the depths in the way they used to (still half expecting some sort of PPI style claim on those Flying Edge licensed titles), but Platinum's Ninja Turtles was at least as poor as reviews suggested.  Robonauts on Switch was shit too, albeit with a big dose of disappointment.  It felt like good idea that they couldn't be bothered to turn into a good game.
  • I've done similar when Game had their no questions asked, seven day returns policy.

Bought a game, went home, played it, found out it was shite, and went straight back for a refund.

Lost Kingdoms II was definitely one I remember doing it with, and some shite Predator game on Xbox.

Turok Rage Wars was the best FPS multiplayer on the N64.
  • I've done similar when Game had their no questions asked, seven day returns policy.

10 days, ridiculously.  No Fuss.
  • They must have lost a fortune on it. How many people would complete games in that time, and bring them back for a full refund?
  • Yep, I worked there for the whole money back period.  Some people would just exchange multiple games for months for an original £40 outlay.  Also, I doubt it would surprise anyone to know that being told no on the 11th day rarely went down well.  Hands up who's been threatened with a closing time stabbing over a non refund of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on Gamecube.  Hello.
  • They must have lost a fortune on it. How many people would complete games in that time, and bring them back for a full refund?
    I did it a few times. Although I think i'd take an exchange rather than refund.

There were some Gamecube games back then ripe for it though. Pikmin, for example. Went through that in a few days and there was no real replay value. Bit of a joke at £40.
  • As is the way with Nintendo
    The Forum Herald™
  • I worked there when 10 days return was still in effect. Yeah, lots of people took the piss, but as they also had a massive audience who bought there for gifting etc, it wasn't that bad really. There are also just people who go in every week and buy every new release no matter what it was, like a weekly comic stack.

I had one down the road from school, and would exchange 3 times, then on the third time get a refund, rinse and repeat. It got bad in the '3 for 2' days, no wonder I never did any homework.
  • hylian_elf wrote:

No way! I enjoyed it.

I seem to have a pristine boxed copy for the OG Gameboy. I don’t remember buying or playing it.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a lot of mediocrity around now that still looks pretty solid thanks to technology/engines/middleware etc. meaning quite often a certain amount of enjoyment can be gleaned.

The worst games I ever played were early games that couldn't fall back on that. The 2600 had an awful lot of unplayable dross - even allowing for the ravages of time. Many people can't bring themselves to play these now because of the primitive presentation but there are well crafted games that work within the platform's limitations that a retro head like me at least can enjoy. These were developed by the cream of Atari who at the time had a level of craftmanship developed from their pioneering arcade games. Some are poor simply because of how primitive they are :

e.g. Slot Racers and Star Ship - totally unplayable and I can't see how they could have been even when they first appeared.  There's a slot machine sim developed by David Crane that is pretty much bereft of any interaction or requirement for skill which barely qualifies as a game.

The 8 bit micro era had a lot of rubbish too. I mention earlier the shame that was multi-load. But even taking that into account there was an awful lot of crap on every platform. It was a dreadful period in gaming that almost put me off the whole thing until consoles started making a comeback in the early 90s.

Some games had decent design but were crippled by clumsy control and/or crippling difficulty - Cauldron 1 & 2 are two that come to mind.

In more recent times I can remember returning games in the no-quibble days  -but quite often it was because they were score based and didn't make use of a console's backup ability. I can remember returning a few pinball games for PS1 for example. I also returned Bust-a-Move 4 for PS1 as it was unplayable due to loadtimes.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I loved my Gameboy and was delighted when I discovered that a local hardware shop started to sell cheap games. It was an odd place to sell Gameboy games. Thinking back they sold a bit of everything, almost like a local pound shop.

Of course the games they sold were all terrible. But I bought them anyway. A highlight (lowlight) was Ren & Stimpy Space Cadet Adventures, an absolutely dreadful floaty platformer. I played a rom of it recently and it was even worse than I remembered.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!