The pit(figher)s - the worst games ever.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I think Apocalypse for the PS1 should go in this list. Terrible action platformer with robotron controls and Bruce Willis' likeness and voice in the game. The plot didn't resolve and it was generally terrible, but a 10-12 year old Tempy adored it, especially its mental boss encounters with the Four Horsemen, War being a highlight, as was the level set in and around the Whitehouse, which was surrounded by a moat of Lava, natch.

that were a great game.
    id play that over bayonetta even today! 

gazzas footy isnt 10 worst material either.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • This thread reminded me of WWF European Rampage on the Amiga.  The two things that stuck in my mind were the relatively high production values (real sampled entrance music was used) and the almost complete lack of wrestling moves. 

All I could manage was to kick, punch and do the occasional forward roll.  I thought I was doing something wrong but this video shows that there really were no real wrestling moves available.

It also turns out that the game involves wrestling against The Nasty Boys, Money Inc and then the Natural Disasters 3 times before eventually giving you LOD.

It was so shit.

• Pretty sure Zool was well received back in the day.  The minute or so of that video wasn't terrible.  Plus adkmette loved it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    In fact, Castlevania on N64 wasn't exactly good, was it?
    I really enjoyed it but seem to be in the minority.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Zool was well received because a bunch of computer-owning spanners wanted to believe that they had their Sonic/Mario beater.  They didn't.  It was pish.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    No, I'm saying a good game is a good game. I have never played a game, liked it and then replayed it years later and disliked it. Perhaps it's because I skip from generation to generation so nothing feels retro to me - I'm as likely to play a NES game next as I am a PS3 game. I'm not often bamboozled into thinking a shite game is good by flashy new technology.

On the other hand, tastes change.  I liked running around with sticks when I was 8, and thought girls were a bit yucky, but I quite liked Action Force 2 on my Spectrum.  Now, I don't want to run around with sticks, I think girls are brilliant, and Action Force 2 is a crime against humanity.

Genres develop, and as much as you say you're not convinced a shit game is good because it's on new technology, the opposite's often true.  When you see what's possible from a modern game, design choices which were frankly awful in 1987 shouldn't be acceptable to you now.  Head Over Heels is still a game with some fun to be had from it, but insta-kill things that were 3 pixels shorter than your maximum jump length?  Screw that.  

I've replayed plenty of games that I loved at the time and found that either my taste has changed and I no longer enjoy it (cf. most twitch shooter things), or seeing how a particular issue or frustration has been designed out by subsequent games in the genre means it's simply less fun.
  • I seem to be some sort of masochistic gamer now that has evolved to kind of enjoy being pissed off for 59 attempts only to feel utter elation at the 60th attempt. Rather bizarre.
  • i had Superman and ET for my Atari 2600 as a lad.  Superman did actually have some gameplay, but even as a nipper dazzled by flashing lights i knew there was something terribly wrong with ET.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dat 60th moment.
  • I think i've got to a stage where I'm too harsh on myself. I was livid during the fight with Dante in DMC4 becuase he's a countering, cheating cunt, but I still managed it on my first try, rendering all that annoyance moot.

In fact i'm pondering a thread to discuss peoples attitudes to games when they are playing them as I don't want to be alone in my nature of being indignant and annoyed if I can't clear it once as I believe it is my right.
  • @Escape

You will get used to the FPS after a while. I had this issue when replaying Tony Hawks 2 on the PSOne a few years ago - at first it was so slow I thought it was unplayable, but after a while your brain readjusts and it's fine.

@Elmlea Our tastes maturing is different to what I'm questioning. If you stopped liking Action Force 2 because you grew up, rather than because video games evolved beyond it, then that's completely understandable. Young children have a higher threshold for rubbish.
    Elmlea wrote:
    When you see what's possible from a modern game, design choices which were frankly awful in 1987 shouldn't be acceptable to you now.  Head Over Heels is still a game with some fun to be had from it, but insta-kill things that were 3 pixels shorter than your maximum jump length?  Screw that.   I've replayed plenty of games that I loved at the time and found that either my taste has changed and I no longer enjoy it (cf. most twitch shooter things), or seeing how a particular issue or frustration has been designed out by subsequent games in the genre means it's simply less fun.

I quite agree with this bit, but I don't think we needed to "see what was possible from a modern game" to realise the flaws in old games. The things that are annoying about those games were annoying at the time. Nobody ever liked typing in 32 character passwords to resume progress of a game. Getting insta-killed has always been frustrating. Now that issues like these have been resolved then perhaps games have become better. But that doesn't make the old games worse than they were back then.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Well obviously the games themselves don't change.
    Except for the odd annoyance of having to blow into carts or fiddling about getting a signal on a new TV the experience provided will be identical.

However I think it is a fair comment to say a game that was once enjoyable is no longer so due to modern day expectations.
    Does that make it a bad game? No, just bad to play.
  • Well obviously the games themselves don't change. Except for the odd annoyance of having to blow into carts or fiddling about getting a signal on a new TV the experience provided will be identical.

Unless you're playing it through an HDTV, in which case lag rears its ugly head because of all the post-processing you get on modern TVs.
  • Fair enough but that still isn't the fault of the game.
  • worst game i ever played was the interestingly titled Man from the Council on the Amiga 500 which came bundled in a compilation..

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=2798

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Quite a few 8bit micro games were crap simply because of the multi-load issue. When a developer pushes the platform beyond breaking point a good game can become unplayable - New Zealand Story for CPC464 for example. Rewinding the tape on game over while being a excellent motivator toward improving ones platform skills just shouldn't have been allowed out the door.

Similarly - many FPSs now look poor simply because of technical issues that are no longer tolerated. It isn't just the fact the features taken for granted now are missing. I still find Quake 3 Arena and Outtrigger enjoyable examples despite their relative simplicity.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Quake has the advantage of looking no worse now than it did at the time, which is to say a bit grubby and basic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Quake 3 Arena looks sparkly on Dreamcast and the keyboard/mouse option helps. STILL playable online if you get a US version amazingly.....
  • That genuinely does amaze me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

can't vouch for the link as I'm in work but others are easy to find.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_q3_serversetup.php

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are they hosting their own servers? I clicked the link but it failed the three second glance of comprehension I allowed it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Quake 3 Arena looks sparkly on Dreamcast and the keyboard/mouse option helps. STILL playable online if you get a US version amazingly.....

That's quite a find...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK wrote:
    That's quite a find...

Still the only game, other than Halo 2 in the first couple of months, that I've really got sucked into online.  I didn't even think the lag was that bad.  It all seemed quite civilised too - most players stuck to the etiquette of not shooting someone whilst they were typing, and those who didn't (or abused the 'I'm Typing' thought bubble) got ganged up on.  Good stuff.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Are these the ten worst games I've played?  Probably not.  They're the first that spring to mind, though, and a few of them would definitely be up (down?) there. Predator (ZX Spectrum) I don't know if this game was ever anything more than being lost in a weird jungle maze. The Hunt for Red October (GB) Oh, Lordy. Roy of the Rovers (ZX Spectrum) Even if you knew exactly where Roy's team-mates were, I don't think there was enough game time to find them all before the match.  I generally had two outfield players and the keeper against the other team. GTA2 (PS1) Took a great game and broke it with shit physics. Onechanbara Bikini Samurai Squad (360) Looks like a PS2 title, plays like a bad PS1 title. Dead Island (360) From what I've seen, a [3] was generous. The following will no doubt ruffle a few feathers, but please believe me when I say that I genuinely believe these games stink.  I think they're really, really bad. LA Noir (360) Even if they hadn't fucked up the whole naming of the Truth/Lie/Doubt buttons, the design of the interviews was really, really bad.  It's impossible to successfully complete most interviews first time through, because Phelps actions after you select a course of action are so unpredictable.  The collection of evidence is poorly designed.  The handling of the cars is nightmarish.  It really is a total pig of a game, successful because of some expensive animation.  A turd with so much sprinkles on it, you just see an inviting pile of sprinkles, until you try to eat it. Goldeneye (N64) I cannot fathom the love for this game.  At all. Journey (PS3) Push up to complete.  Devoid of any fun or emotion. GTA: San Andreas (PS2) I never get people who bitched about GTAIV being a list of chores, but think this game is ace.  It was mind-numbing as all fuck, and handled like shit.

Apart from Goldeneye and the Journey (haven't played it) I agree with this post entirely.

[9]
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Zool was well received because a bunch of computer-owning spanners wanted to believe that they had their Sonic/Mario beater.  They didn't.  It was pish.

Agreed.

What about Bubsy?  Who remembers Bubsy?!
  • That was also shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are they hosting their own servers? I clicked the link but it failed the three second glance of comprehension I allowed it.

Yes. The PAL edition has the defunct Dreamarena server settings hard-coded but the US version lets you enter new server names etc. There was a BB adaptor released late in the DC life but by all accounts dialup still delivers a decent experience. I'm almost certain that certain servers let DC owners play against PC owners too.

This link is a bit friendlier!!

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist.php

Looks like Starlancer and Phantasy Star Online games are somehow still going too...

• Unlikely wrote:
    That was also shit.

True story!
  • davyK wrote:
    Yes. The PAL edition has the defunct Dreamarena server settings hard-coded but the US version lets you enter new server names etc. There was a BB adaptor released late in the DC life but by all accounts dialup still delivers a decent experience. I'm almost certain that certain servers let DC owners play against PC owners too. This link is a bit friendlier!! http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_gameslist.php Looks like Starlancer and Phantasy Star Online games are somehow still going too...

PSO I knew about, sortakinda - dipped back into free PC Blue Burst last year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!