The pit(figher)s - the worst games ever.
  • Bayonetta shouldn't be anywhere near this thread, you mentalists.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sonic 2 is good.

WHAT THE FUCK, ESCAPE?

The first game was a pure blue time-trialler, with adaptable savour-the-flavour pacing. Sonic 2 jacked the graphics dial for shallow ends, including a dreaded screen-push level for the sole benefit of visual intake.

E-numbered music pumping through the ear pipes; box-tick bossing; schizophrenic difficulty; the zoomed-out camera's lessening of Sonic's chunky emphasis.

Tails.

regmcfly wrote:
    The Famous Five (Amstrad)

go north

<You arrive in the town square. Reg the bully is to your right>

punch reg

<You punch Reg the bully on the nose>

*Ow!*

punch reg

<Reg the bully ran away crying>

go south

<You have returned to the cottage>

go inside

<The door here is locked>

climb through the window

<The French window is locked>

open french window

<You do not have the key>

break french window

<You strike the French window. It rattles>

fuck off

<There is no need to be like that>

In it goes, Reg. I was eating a Wham bar at the time; that can stay.

regmcfly wrote:
    ALL WRESTLING GAMES THAT AREN'T JUKES

ALL WRESTLING GAMES THAT DON'T HAVE DOINK'S OLD-MAN JOG ANIM

Brooks wrote:
    Goldeneye was definitely sup-bar if you'd played Quake and things to excess before you got a go on it.

(I like how a 'sup bar doesn't change the meaning any.)

Quake's polymon world was fallow of GoldenEye's atmos. It was brown.

hylian_elf wrote:
    What is meant to be good about Quake?

The advent of mainstream online FPSing, and the agreeability of .bsp files for modding.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Amma gonna say it.

Duke Nukem Forever.
    Playing it is like playing a 'best bits' of the past ten years of gaming yet implemented so badly.

In a weird way it is a game that I want everyone to play.

Perhaps the Edge review that will live with me longest, there's a line saying "it's a game that everyone should play exactly once".

I agree.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also if anyone tries to put Quake 3 in here I'll string them up by the goolies
  • Oh god Too Human was bad. That 5 minute long death animation was insane!
    I completed and enjoyed the hell out of Too Human, it had it's problems but the combat was decent, good setting and a fairly interesting storyline.
    Shot themselves in the foot with the planned trilogy though
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Quake 3 was great. 

Some of you are fucking mental. Sonic 2, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Goldeneye.... the worst games ever?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think people are mistaking WORST with 'games I have a grudge with'.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Mario would top my Grudge list.
  • Grudgey ones will last longer in the memory than the outright shit I'm thinking.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well then think harder.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fo sho
  • I think Apocalypse for the PS1 should go in this list. Terrible action platformer with robotron controls and Bruce Willis' likeness and voice in the game. The plot didn't resolve and it was generally terrible, but a 10-12 year old Tempy adored it, especially its mental boss encounters with the Four Horsemen, War being a highlight, as was the level set in and around the Whitehouse, which was surrounded by a moat of Lava, natch.

• regmcfly wrote:
    That always happens with these things. Now we just need someone to mention Resident Evil 4 and Half-Life 2 and it'll all be complete.

I just thought of another MD game - Jewel Master - damn I wasted a lot of money in those days. Also, pool simulator Sidepocket on SNES - we tried to play it a lot, but in the end the physics were just broken. Nice cheesy music though.
  • Late last night, I remembered some Jaleco games I played on the SNES that were shit.  Rival Turf and Rushing Beat Run were shit brawlers, and Dead Dance/Tuff E Nuff (fucking stupid name) was a shit SF2 clone.

Talking of SF2 clones, there were so many shit ones.  World Heroes was immensely shit, and I never liked Art of Fighting.

Oh yeah.  Mortal Kombat and the rest of the series was, and still is, utter dog shit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looking at the Fallout deals on Steam reminds me how much I didn't get on with the Lonesome Road and Old World Blues DLC for New Vegas. Road was boring tosh with a predictable ending and Old World Blues was so difficult in having enemies with ridiculous of health that I had to use my best weapons constasntly to stay alive on the most common enemies. Sucked the fun out of the game entirely and I was glad Road was the last DLC for it.

OWB's mad scientist shtick also get very old very fast.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Half-Life 2

That sacredness was marred by Live in another thread.
  • Yeah I did that. 
    Still wouldn't put it in here though, it has enough going for it that it is a long way off worst game ever status.
  • This thread is epic.
    Brooks wrote:
    Action games need thematic sense, but slim to no Exposition. Arcade development understood this implicitly for decades.

I might get the above tattooed on the palm of my hand so I can just hold it up to the other person when having a debate / argument about video games. I'll replace the first word (Action) with "All", though.

Regarding Goldeneye, I can't understand how a game can be "good back then" but shit now. A good game is a good game. Sure, there's a nostalgia to factor in, and the fact that younger children have a higher tolerance of shitness, but fundamentally I don't believe time can have such an impact on a game as to flip it from classic to utter toss. To a certain extent I agree with whoever said "It's shit now, it was shit back then". Maybe not shit, but it was certainly never as good as it was made out to be.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Enemy Zero which I had on PC.

From the Wiki page:
    "The real time component of E0 is unique. Enemies are invisible, and location is only possible through the use of sound, with notes of different pitch helping the player find the distance and direction of enemies. Additionally, every gun in the game must be charged up immediately before each shot, and charging a shot for too long will cause the charge to dissipate, after which the charging must start over. Since all available guns have very limited range, this makes timing crucial; beginning to charge the gun too late or too soon will allow the enemy to reach Laura, resulting in an immediate game over."

Yup.
  • Well I avoid 'bad' games so I haven'y played a lot. However I've recently taken it upon myself to collect SNES games and by doing that I've came accross some real stinkers.

They are:
    George Foreman's KO Boxing
    Pit Fighter
    Home Alone 2
    Wayne's World
    T2: Judgement Day
    Last Action Hero

These are really shit
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • T2: Judgement Day
    I had forgotten this game.  Wasn't one of the levels a slidey tile puzzle of a T800 or something?
  • Home Alone 2

Had that on the NES, minus 8 bits did not improve the experience
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • regmcfly wrote:

I thought it was worst gaming experiences?

That afternoon we spent playing N64 round yours is definitely up there. That console has not aged well at all. MK64, Goldeneye, ISS64 were all fucking awful.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I had forgotten this game.  Wasn't one of the levels a slidey tile puzzle of a T800 or something?

Possibly.  It took us twenty minutes to get to level two, which is where we gave up.
  • Frosty wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I thought it was worst gaming experiences?
    To be honest, any game that fails to entertain you so spectacularly that you end up hating it has to be a bad game.  Don't confuse bad with broken.  A game can be seamlessly put together, but still be bad because it makes you hate it.
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    Regarding Goldeneye, I can't understand how a game can be "good back then" but shit now. A good game is a good game. Sure, there's a nostalgia to factor in, and the fact that younger children have a higher tolerance of shitness, but fundamentally I don't believe time can have such an impact on a game as to flip it from classic to utter toss. To a certain extent I agree with whoever said "It's shit now, it was shit back then". Maybe not shit, but it was certainly never as good as it was made out to be.
    I think it's understandable with FPSs in particular from that period that they've lost their shine. Goldeneye was still part of the formation of the genre which has been standardised and refined since. Other genres were established earlier, and their first examples are also pretty poor now in comparison. I mean, Space Invaders was as good as it got when it came out, but it's kinda limited when put up against Ikaruga or something.

Whether someone likes it or not, Goldeneye was by far the most advanced console FPS of its time, and had a ton more depth than any of its PC FPS contemporaries. It was the first time a properly 3D FPS had been adapted to work well on console controls pads. The scope for different tactical approaches (including stealth) in the SP mode was very wide. The levels made different demands on playing style. There were great design ideas like changing mission objectives depending on difficulty level. Modern genre staples, like the sniper rifle, were used or established for the first time. The mulitplayer had a massive range of customisation options and perfectly suited arenas.

It's not my favourite game by any means, but it was groundbreaking in so many ways and superbly designed. But the benchmarks it set are now at least standards, and in many cases have advanced even further, so it now seems primitive.
  • JonB wrote:
    Modern genre staples, like the sniper rifle, were used or established for the first time.

To paraphrase Southpark: MDK already did it.

Edit: but I agree with your post.
  • Choke wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Modern genre staples, like the sniper rifle, were used or established for the first time.
    To paraphrase Southpark: MDK already did it. Edit: but I agree with your post.

"used or established". MDK was hardly as influential as GE. Or an FPS.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Possibly.  It took us twenty minutes to get to level two, which is where we gave up.
    I'm sure I completed it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!