Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, it's shite.
  • Shite vapourware... at least it's cheap.
  • This weird Kickstarter mentality that draws otherwise sane people to pay for a project without any physical proof, that is already exceeding projected targets confuses me. If its hit, it's going to go into production, so you might as well just wait and see rather than throwing away money.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's also the idea of getting one at an early price too, temps. Reckon that was the appeal of them Pebble watches.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    This is vapourware.

dont be fooled

g.man

Logic? Thatd be quite amazing, a $4 mil vanishing act, and would likely destroy kickstarter too in the process.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    The question is, will it produce any must have games that wouldn't have otherwise existed? If they spread to other consoles because they're successful on this one, that's job done from somebody's perspective.

And I'm that somebody! So the main thing for me is how easy / cheap it is to develop for. If it helps kick-start a few careers then that's a success in my eyes, whatever happens to the console in the long run.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @Mouldy: No, I'm that somebody ;p
  • Tempy wrote:
    This weird Kickstarter mentality that draws otherwise sane people to pay for a project without any physical proof, that is already exceeding projected targets confuses me.

I'm going to blame the basic salubriousness of Kickstarter's visual presentation.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    This is vapourware. dont be fooled g.man
    Logic? Thatd be quite amazing, a $4 mil vanishing act, and would likely destroy kickstarter too in the process.
    $4million is chump change for a project of this size. I've read their Kickstarter page and it's basically a Snake-oil pitch.

would not touch

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Firstly, as Brooks said, I think this is a 'test there's a market' for this sort of proof before it goes to a bigger group.

However, if what you say is true, and it's likely this will be the biggest Kickstarter of all time, then it'd be the end of this service.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    This weird Kickstarter mentality that draws otherwise sane people to pay for a project without any physical proof, that is already exceeding projected targets confuses me. If its hit, it's going to go into production, so you might as well just wait and see rather than throwing away money.

I paid for Double Fine Adventure because I wanted there to be another Tim Schafer point and click in the world, and when I backed it hadn't hit goal (though clearly it would).

How many people wanted an Android TV console this time last week?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I certainly didn't, but I am interested in it. I've spent $100 in worse places. If I get burned, I'll learn, but if not, it'll sit in the pile with the rest of the consoles at worst as a little curio.
  • I've always wanted a home console that came with development tools and some sort of service for distributing your games, Android powered or otherwise.

Just for the record, I'm not giving them any money until it's released and can be evaluated properly. But I am very pro the idea.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I'm totally convinced this would be used to create emulators for old consoles and be om rom rom rom...

But I think as I said earlier that most people backed this expecting to play games they had already purchased.

And it is'n't that clear on saying that.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    I've always wanted a home console that came with development tools and some sort of service for distributing your games, Android powered or otherwise.

...XBLIG has been around since Nov 2008.
  • Reg splodges money on shite videogame kit shocker.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Does Kickstarter do any due diligence on its projects? Or can whoever ask for money for whatever?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Reg splodges money on shite videogame kit shocker.

In addition to when?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    To answer my questions: no and yes
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Don't see the appeal in this at all.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Reg splodges money on shite videogame kit shocker.
    In addition to when?
    Then.  Now.  The future.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah, of course. A vague answer because it's unsubstantiated. Great.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    This weird Kickstarter mentality that draws otherwise sane people to pay for a project without any physical proof, that is already exceeding projected targets confuses me. If its hit, it's going to go into production, so you might as well just wait and see rather than throwing away money.

I paid for Double Fine Adventure because I wanted there to be another Tim Schafer point and click in the world, and when I backed it hadn't hit goal (though clearly it would).

How many people wanted an Android TV console this time last week?

I was talking about this rather than the Schafer thing because I'd have confidence in a man who has already delivered several working videogames to manage at least one more.
  • The joy of this kit is that everyone can make games for it very easily, and i'm presuming access to these games would be very open, i suppose thats the point most of you are missing

If they can supply it with competing hardware, or at least half decent hardware, there will be games out of the wazoo for free, on your tv, and i'm sure plenty with a paid option too

It's an open development/bedroom coder's dream, and rather than lumbering around your living room to change games or games being these huge lumpen things, you could flick between them like channel surfing, and the games would really be open to some fun classically-profit-challenging ideas

I like it
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Do they hope to have their own online game store? If the systems truly open, won't this be the easiest thing in the world to get pirate games for. How are game developers meant to make money on this?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How does phone Android solve that? 
    I think they must be planning they're own store, given they're expecting 30% of your sale proceeds.
  • I can imagine it'll be up to some middleman to provide 'store' of sorts, it hasn't been specified but i'd imagine it could use Google Play? It filters search results by device anyways so only games set to work on this will show on a suitable search and it can benefit from that model

So, free versions, paid versions, and likely games with ads in them, and microtransactions for sure
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    The joy of this kit is that everyone can make games for it very easily, and i'm presuming access to these games would be very open, i suppose thats the point most of you are missing

How is making games for HD TVs using a controller and system nobody has held very easy?

I think you, and they, are assuming that because Android games can be developed then good ones will flow out of this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!