PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    The question is, will it take off?

g.man wrote:
    VAPOURWARE.
    You mean you don't trust Yves Behar? He did a TED talk, he must be trust worthy.
  • An anagram of Shy Beaver don'cha know?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm gonna address the vapour ware claim as I meant to in my last lengthy prose
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Unity blah blah blah. It's middleware, it's exactly fuck all to do with anything we're talking about here.
    you're talking about how easy or cheap it is to develop for a console and youre not talking about middleware ok well i suppose this conversation is over then, well done again
    No, you're saying Unity middleware is somehow the magical answer to the bedroom coders problem that XNA isn't. There's 2,523 XBLIG titles on the service right now so some people clearly managed to get their head round it. The ease of use of the middleware has fuck all to do with it. XNA isn't what's wrong with XBLIG, and neither is being forced to charge 64p for them. Likewise, being able to use Unity is not the problem this phone on your floor is going to have either.
    I think your blind following of microsoft's hoo haa hasn't made you any more aware of the considerations of software development. You're banging on about there being no good games that will come out on this yet it will be significantly easier/cheaper to develop for than the xbox (Or the other main ones). The use of middleware to make games is a no brainer or there'd be titles on a DVD made with xna. 'There's 2,523 XBLIG titles on the service right now so some people clearly managed to get their head round it.' is a funny comment. They wanted a game on a console, xna isnt hard inasmuch as its capabilities are comparitively stunted (Obviously my attempt to explain that was wasted as i predicted), and they have no other option than to use xna.

Oh for fucks sake.

a) shove your "blind following" up your arse.

b) shove your "I've med an android game so my expert opinion is wasted on you" up there as well. I've been specifying, developing, and signing off on software since 1994. You think how a shader works has any bearing on anything being discussed here?

c) I haven't said "no good games will come out". I've said the prospect of producing (free) games for a TV console and controller is so vastly different from making a touch based one for a phone as to be laughable.

d) You keep dismissing XNA and XBLIG. Why? It's almost exactly the same model that Ouya are proposing. In many respects it's vastly superior (40m users, established payment and payments, community peer content review, tools specifically tailored to the device by Microsoft). I'd argue that XBLIG has actually been a success, but it hasn't changed the world like you seem to think this Ouya (30k owners thus far (400 developers editions)) will.

e) You keep saying Visual Studio is weak. As you've got a good body of work produced under both IDE's under your belt perhaps you could go into some of the details as to the differences and relative merits of the two and what problems you specifically ran into in VS/XNA.
  • without wanting to jump on lazygunn's toes, the main difference between XNA and something like Unity, is XNA is just a coding framework.  if you want a textured cube in your xna project, you need to make that somewhere else in a different tool, which requires a different skill set to use, and possibly money to buy,and then import it into your project and handle 'spinning it' entirely in code.  in something like unity, you click add cube, add texture, make it spin.
    to get people playing your 'spinning cube' on xbox, you need to pay your annual developer subscription to be able to publish it, then jump through various hoops to get it approved, and if/when it gets on XBLIG, it dies cos no one wants to pay to play your spinning cube.
    with unity, you click 'publish to android', upload to the store, and it then it dies cos no one wants to play your free spinning cube.
    but at least it took a lot less time to find that out.

or something like that.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, that hasn't said why one is weaker, just easier.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    VS is weak.

Can't remember my original post but I don't think gunn attempted to mention shaders in that quote. It was me so I think @mod's retort is directed that way but essentially the last post was about 4000 lines of code in the current XNA before you port in any models such as Ram's spinning cube example. It's actually quite difficult and daunting to even a two or four man team.

This summer I have been privy to apraisals of the videogames course (We run a few, programming & computer gfx, animation, and something else around the theme.) as well as this I have been present in the lead course designers presentations regarding the current state of the art xbox development versus open source. This is essentially direct X vs open GL.

It's concluded that Open GL is a bitch. However despite the flexibility of Direct X it has a lot of weight (4000 lines of initialisation code for example) but when you get past that it becomes something else. However the graduates, now graduands not only had to handle C++ Direct X, C# XNA but also Unity for a web supported game. (Something that is able to run on unity.) It was clear that we were able to inspire the students more when using Unity as it was able to produce the most results with least prereqs, (in terms of software) and knowledge base, (in terms of tools) despite these obvious contrasts it was apparent that using the Direct X, XNA or even OpenGL courses put really competent people off developing for consoles. Naturally the proffessors, lecturers, and sessionals, (such as myself) would try and explain in a company that can support you for Direct X etc there hundreds of developers working on many tiny things and it's not as bad as you may perceive.

Putting it bluntly- if you're bedroom or major the middleware platforms that a linux cross java platform can support are significantly better than anything specific to Xbox even though in reality Direct X is easier when compared to OpenGL.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I dont use VS i use monodevelop which is apparently even weaker than VS but i cant motivate to move over to Eclipse for whatever reason

I think ramsteelwood encapsulated it very nicely but beano underlined it firmly, i dont have much more to add
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Get on Eclipse fool. Get on some sort of source control too.

Essentially Unity is a massive OpenGL / WebGL wrapper depending on your deployment platform. However when you don't want unity and you go raw OpenGL is harder than DirectX. But DirectX is hard nut to crack anyway.

Hence excite at the idea we can have a Android platform that isn't a phone.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've not even underlined why VS is weak, because that was dancing around the clarity that need to be made. Talking about the best IDE's even for MSDN coding or any other is for another thread that someone other than me wants to start where I might chip in if lots start making assumptions about things none of us know are certain.

Personally I am more worried that Ouya will have no choice but to emplpy the likes of Foxconn to piece together 80,000+ consoles in time than this bollocks conjecture about who will be bothered about developing. (They've sold out of 1337 dev packs FCOL!)
  • Yep, we have tools for free (Unity basic) that take care of all the complex stuff with a liberal sprinkling of cake, icing and sugar and some cherries on top, for the moderately cheap(tiny fractions of a usual xbox dev setup) cost of the pro licenses you can just extend it in any direction you wish with c

The webgl thang is relevant, unity ignored, also what with html5 happening (except to ie, strangely enough)
  • ahh yeah i found the comparing 'VS' with 'Unity' kind of relevant to how misinformed people are on the issue

you can use VS as the ide for Unity
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    beano wrote:
    YOU USE TEH TOUCH PAD ON TEH CONTROLOLLOLERZ! WUT!

I NO, YOU FAG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TROLL KOW

(I was trying to be as sarcastic as you were but I came across as feeding you.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, SHITE
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    ALSO BE NO BEANO
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oi bugger lugs, while you are here: Did you sort your VPN concerns? What are you doing?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have until the beginning of August to decide but the link you posted seems kosher enough. I will probably go for that. I'll have to figure out how to get it set up on multiple devices but I guess it's easy enough.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unity is definitely easier to get a game going on than XNA is.  I don't think anyone can argue (or is arguing?) that point.  

But will Ouya have a stronger range of Indie software just because it has lower barriers to entry?  Once side of me says "yes, people with good ideas will be able to translate them to reality more easily, so more will get made", and the other says "no, it's a less tempting market, so there's less incentive to do so, and if it was that good anyway, they would have done it already".  My personal experience points at the former answer: I did plenty of XNA mucking about a few years ago, and never got anything out.  I think there's a high likelihood, haven written some Unity stuff already, that I will get something out on Ouya.  It may not be any good, but if there are others like me, someone will produce something good.  (But yes, if good an successful, it will no doubt get copied to other formats, so as a consumer do you actually need an Ouya to benefit?  Guess not...)

Anyway, spiel over.  (Oh, except to say I don't follow this "VS is weak" chat.  It's far better than Eclipse IMO, and terms of ease of use and not hanging your PC for hours on end.  And yes, you can - as I do - use it with Unity for twice the fun.)  

Time will tell I suppose.  And maybe it's just vaporwear anyway, eh?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    ahh yeah i found the comparing 'VS' with 'Unity' kind of relevant to how misinformed people are on the issue you can use VS as the ide for Unity

You can do yes. But if you're using XNA you'll be using VS.

As simple as Unity is it's utterly irrelevant to the situation you're painting

First of all you need this army of budding game makers to buy Ouya. Actually, knowing about it would be a start. Then you need to sell them on making games only other people with the system can play. i.e. not their smartphone using mates.

Then, assuming they've taken the plunge and assuming they have an original idea that hasn't been done to death already you need to somehow sustain interest though the learning, development and publishing process.

No. What will happen is this will have games developed by people who think they can make a quick buck doing a quick port of their phone games.

There will not be a new dawn of bedroom coders making interesting games like the early 80s the Raspberry Pi makers pine for.

People already look down on phone games, but forgive them as they're small bite sized chunks played on the train. You think people are going to play those games in front of the TV when they could be playing Battlefied or CoD instead? Nah.

You think there's a body of developers that have been dying to make a game but somehow didn't realise you could make them for PC, or phone, or XBLIG? Using simply tools like....ooo.. Unity. Who will be somehow mesmerised by the idea of an Android console? Right O.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I have until the beginning of August to decide but the link you posted seems kosher enough. I will probably go for that. I'll have to figure out how to get it set up on multiple devices but I guess it's easy enough.

There's a VPN menu and everything somewhere in settings.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I spotted that. I suppose it's all very easy. I hope, anyway.
  • Somebody let me know when we can start the laughing and pointing.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm not going to say but from a quick glance it looks easier than setting up a checkpoint client on windowz. A quick squiz on google should alert you to any critical care points though I'd imagine.

@kow
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @ AndyPany I've already started. FUCKING SHITE THE WHOLE THING.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I'm not going to say but from a quick glance it looks easier than setting up a checkpoint client on windowz. A quick squiz on google should alert you to any critical care points though I'd imagine.

I've never done it before but if the options are there I suppose it's doable.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You think there's a body of developers that have been dying to make a game but somehow didn't realise you could make them for PC, or phone, or XBLIG? Using simply tools like....ooo.. Unity. Who will be somehow mesmerised by the idea of an Android console? Right O.

err.. yes, i think 80% of the people i know interested in these things have contacted me in the last day asking what i thought. i think a problem is, from what i read in this thread, much that its much more exciting for developers than the typical end user

(i dont understand why you keep bringing up XBLIG, it's been explained in at least 4 separate valid posts, from people as experienced as me or more so with this, why it doesn't compare)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You don't think a system for amateurs to self publish digital games to an under the TV console compares to Ouya.

Right O.

Sorry, what exactly to you think Ouya is?
  • VAPOURWARE
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    G you crack me up!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!