Ouya
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You don't think a system for amateurs to self publish digital games to an under the TV console compares to Ouya. Right O. Sorry, what exactly to you think Ouya is?

Every time I get into a debate with you it ends up like this, Mod. I can't be bothered anymore, either read the posts in a thread you've decided to debate in or what's the point in the people you are debating taking you seriously at all?

You are probably reflecting a lot of popular opinion and misconception about such a thing, even if it turns out to be a scam, it does show up this side of gamerfolk that does seem a bit sad, and again i'm reminded of p1's absolute frustration at the forum, even though he was really bad at dealing with it.

You can't have your cake and eat it, you cant complain about a lack of games or their grinding homogeonisation then condemn enterprise that promotes diversity, especially with a willful ignorance that's been flatly pointed out by everyone who has dabbled in dev in this thread so far. I've made my points, i don't see the point in making them again for the 4th or 5th time, and any new issues you bring up (like indies self-publishing games on XBLIG?? HAHA) don't seem worth the inevitable repetition

I'll reply to less argumentative and more informed posts in this thread
  • This exists:

XBLA exists.
    Shit indie PC games exist.
    Android phones exist.

I'm with Tempy. I don't know why you'd pay up front for something that doesn't exist, and might be utter utter shite.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I don't know why you'd pay up front for something that doesn't exist, and might be utter utter shite.

rich people/organisations do this as a founding stone of the modern world, this is a relatively small risk in comparison. not that i'd pay towards a kickstarter for such a thing, but i'm glad some people do
  • I get it for some projects. Games in particular.

Pebble also.

But hardware? I'm with g on this one.
  • Besides, it's one thing supporting new developments if you take an equity share in it. Where's the upside here?
  • I have no idea how they intend to make a multiple-ten-thousand unit run on under a mil, and also the photoshopping on that controller... one of the buttons is slightly off and its really bugging me and looks totally amateurish so yeah i'm open to the idea it could evaporate in a whoomph of crude theatrical smoke

But if it's real i'll probably buy one, if nothing more than something under a hundred quid to tinker with nerdily
  • WorKid wrote:
    Besides, it's one thing supporting new developments if you take an equity share in it. Where's the upside here?

i've a strong feeling most of the 'big' backing is from development-minded folk, and small backing from development-aware folk, these people have a lot to gain from the project in ways ranging from financial to conceptual satisfaction, i think there's much more to it for those investing than a literal cut of the profits from a unit sold
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    SHITE
  • for one of the best gaming forums ive ever been on, its probably one of the worst places to actually talk about interesting stuff with games, i give up on this thread.. for now!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    You don't think a system for amateurs to self publish digital games to an under the TV console compares to Ouya. Right O. Sorry, what exactly to you think Ouya is?
    Every time I get into a debate with you it ends up like this, Mod.

Yes, I ask you to stop talking shit and you say you don't want to talk to me anymore.

EDIT: or anyone else, apparently.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Every time I get into a debate with you it ends up like this, Mod.
    Yes, I ask you to stop talking shit and you say you don't want to talk to me anymore. EDIT: or anyone else, apparently.

i retract my previous comment

this has never happened mod, it didnt even happen in the previous comment! you're bonkers

now i'm giving up on this thread!... for now!
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    ...if it's real...

If you can keep your head when all about you 
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
    If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can invest in a console called Ouya
    And watch as your money goes up in smoke,
    And turn to look at those pointing and laughing,
    And concede that the idea was always a joke,
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a man, my son!
  • 4 circle buttons?

They'd be better off letting you use an XBox controller. That controller looks horrible. Slippy, too.
  • you're still the class twat adkm, nice try though

god i cant stay away haha

yeah, that, workid, its awful
  • That's surely not the real thing.  Surely.
  • It says it's "world class" in the description.
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    you're still the class twat adkm, nice try though
    Friendly.  :(
  • it's a photoshop mockup and its awful
  • Must represent their design though.
  • there might be some rendering involved too, but yeah, i'd be embarrassed by it and i'm not that great at such thangs myself
  • charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory.jpgSome forum members were dazzled by the new technology.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • i dont think much (read,any) of us are that bothered or amazed by the unit itself, just arguing some things based on its concept. concept is great, i'll buy one if it turns out any good, their photoshopping is shit though
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The founder / face of Ouya is fuck ugly also.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Consoles by ugly people is a terrible things!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Ugly people isn't really a problem. Neither of the two people willing to put their name on it being electrical or software engineers might be.
  • Yeah but by fuck they can market. $4m bazinga.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I wanted to punch her when she said. "I've been working in video games for a long time." Who the fuck is she to qualify what a long time is? And why the fuck does she have to sound so patronising. Anyway lucky the 1LTPC guy is involved.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • RIGHT. I'M CALLING BULLSHIT ON THIS ENTIRE SCAM RIGHT NOW.

"We already have a working prototype" says the video on Kickstarter.
    They then proceed to show this...
    Picture_3png.jpg

WOWZERS! They've actually built a working prototype!

...but hang on a minute, what they're sliding about the table is actually the insides of this...
    v338-1-bdae.jpg

It's a Google TV Box. You can read about it here...

http://androidforums.com/google-tv/530964-android-2-3-4-0-wifi-internet-hd-1080p-hdmi-google-tv-box-arm-cortex-a9-firmware.html

Let's open it up and have a look inside...
    photo.jpg

Gosh, that does look kind of familiar, doesn't it?

But don't panic, because now the video is going to show us someone playing on the prototype...
    ...in a darkened room, so that conveniently you can't see what is actually being used...
    kickstarter-project-ouya-brings-free-gaming-to-your-tv-0.jpg
    The above image has actually been lightened already compared to the original video.
    Let's lighten the shadows some more...
    kickstarter-project-ouya-brings-free-gaming-to-your-tv-0-1.jpg
    Nope. Still not seeing any sort of actual prototype in there. In fact you could legitimately argue that the controller is actually directly wired to the (smart) television itself. But whether that is true or not, let's not forget that the prototype they show you in the video is the innards of an existing Google TV box.

anyone want to buy some snake oil?

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Starting to smell a bit off, certainly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!