Ouya
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Which apparently has had a name change in the last few years. So now J and Q are correct answers. But the pub quiz master only accepted J so we are elite.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    THAT'S NOT ON THE TABLE!

(anymore)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Too late.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If I'd answered Q and he said no your quiz master would be getting a piss through his letterbox right about now.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    To be honest, we did think it was Q to start with.

But we thought Protactinium was Pq when it was actually Pa thanks to the small screen of my smart phone.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    But yeah i'd support urinating in the bitches box.
  • This thing seems super dodgy, I hope it makes Valve/Steam make a move towards something for the telly. Now is the time...for something.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Valve are working on hardware anyway.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Over $2m.  Yoiks.
    Apparently the world is shocked.
    They've emailed people asking what games they want.  Not convinced that's a very sensible question to ask.  (Can't imagine COD getting ported; and can't imagine Nintendo etc. delivering stuff.)  But still, hopefully it shows a big enough niche that the thing does actually happen sensibly.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd imagine people who say something like "Torchlight" or "Superbrothers" or "Bit Trip" will likely be more appeased...

Although I suppose the more the figure rises, the greater their sway...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    THAT'S NOT ON THE TABLE!

(anymore)

Not just yourself mod, but including me, and several others here, I could imagine that a B&B pub quiz would be the most horrible, pedantic event of all time.

"It's all a bit of fun, lads!"

Aye right.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Ouya.  As in the noise you make when you walk into the corner of a table?

I keep thinking of the rasta type voice saying "boy yeah" at the end of Dont Mug yourself by the Streets

SPOT ON! Lol

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Have already mentioned that I'm getting a little over-excited about this. I can understand the cynicism and this particular project may fail, but something like this WILL revolutionise the gaming industry. It's not a case of if, it's a case of when.

Think about it. As mainstream games have got more complicated and expensive to make, fewer companies are willing to take risks and the industry starts to stagnate. The rise of indie games is rectifying that but there isn't an obvious platform to develop for. Developing for phones or web browser is the easiest to get into, but there are issues with both (size of phone, user interface, lack of standardisation across PCs as everyone has a different set-up). Indie developers need a dedicated console and this could just be it!

Yes, if it's successful there will be hundreds of shovelware dross and opportunistic money-making, but it also might open the door for hundreds of talented, creative people who may just make some amazing games. Or, you know, it could just fail and stuff.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • firstly, 'ouya' is definitely the noise you make when you hurt yourself a little bit.

secondly, this is one of those initially interesting ideas that seem to get a bit more pointless the more you think about it.  while an open-source cheap console isn't a bad idea, and android not a particularly bad OS, isn't the console going to be quickly obsolete when your mobile phone is more powerful and running a later version of the OS?  and will 'AAA' developers spend the time to bring their product to this knowing that by the time it's out, it will cost more and look inferior to the latest 'phone' games?  also, will it support games already bought through android app store (google play?), or will everything have to be bought through the 'ouya store' (as i guess they'd want a small cut of each sale)?  and in that sense, will google then 'approve' or will they simply look to bring out a newer version of android just to quickly make it a lame duck?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • OOoohhhhhh Yeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

I wont be funding. But it's a neato idea.
    $99 is about £64 yeah?

So, Android based (Will it be upgradable to ICS and newer versions over time?) but the overlay is reminiscent of MS's last Xbox dashboard update.
    How will touch based games translate to a control pad?

Intereting that people will be able to make their own peripherals for it.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I'll buy one if it works out, I'm not funding something that hasn't been reviewed yet.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    @Mouldy: this has surely got 'niche' written all over it.  I struggle to see this going mainstream.  Nearly everyone will either be happy with a phone or want a "proper" console, I'd imagine.  

I can see there being lots of interesting games / demos / ideas etc. though.  So I view myself in that niche.  Certainly portfolio fodder if I do make a move to the industry.

@Sas: the control pad has a touch pad on it.  But no screen.  I can see it working ok, but yes, not the immediacy of touching what you're looking at or anything nice like that.
  • It's the Kickstarter process and the names behind it that make it appealing. If Samsung or a no-name electronics company brought this out, I suspect people would laugh. What was the name of that portable MMO player?
  • $2mil will pay a factory's 'leccy bills for what, a month?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Long enough to smelt 20,000
  • The thing is, even if the console dies a death it'll still be supported as people will still be making Android based games.
    True, at some point the general architecture will become obsolete, and a hardware revision will be required, I'm sure the hardware hackers will be more than up to the task.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • The main thing that appeals to me is the control pad. I find the interface of a touch screen mobile phone very limiting creatively - I want to make games that use buttons. I also prefer to play games on a TV.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Long enough to smelt 20,000
    He who smelt it Reg, he who smelt it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    ECUNOMUCKS
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    also, will it support games already bought through android app store (google play?), or will everything have to be bought through the 'ouya store' (as i guess they'd want a small cut of each sale)?  and in that sense, will google then 'approve' or will they simply look to bring out a newer version of android just to quickly make it a lame duck?

To use the Google Play application (and store) you have to have your device certified by Google. One suspects this won't be (because of the 70/30 payment split) but who knows. They don't mention an intention to.

I think this will work more like the Amazon App Store or any third party store. Which means you'll only access games that they've added to their store.

Which is less of an issue than persuading existing developers to re-tool their games to work on a big screen (and not look shit) and support the controller.

Despite being very similar code wise to Android (apart from graphics and controls) you're basically talking about a whole new platform, which as Windows Phone 7 has shown it's not always easy to attract people to. At least to begin with. 20k users isn't bad to begin with but it's microscopic in relation to other platforms.
  • Could that be a deal breaker?  i'd have thought most of those interested would already be android users thinking it would be good to play the games they have on their phone, on the big screen.

or maybe i just can't hear 'android' without thinking 'phone' and that's where i'm going wrong.

still it seems to me it's a device that appeals more to (indy) developers than mainstream customers...but then maybe that would be enough to keep it going as a kind of 'proving ground' where wannabe developers fight it out to get the attention of the big boys...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Or indie developers who have no desire to attract the big boys could make some amazing games specifically for the console, games that require a controller and benefit from being played on a bigger screen. That could theoretically attract a wider audience who want to play those specific games.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Angry Birds on the tv? Officially the worst idea I've ever heard.
  • On the increasingly rare chances I get to play a video game on an actual television, I can't see myself opting for a glorified smartphone experience over the 360.
  • Your not thinking about the games that haven't been made yet! They might be brilliant!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!