Where to live in the UK
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Stayed in Hunstanton once (work related). Was a fucking in-bred dump. Beautiful beach though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bits of WGC are quite nice, my sister in law lives there atm and it's been pleasant though to visit anyway
  • There are nice bits but as drew said, I've been witness to the ugly underside of the area. I drive through sometimes and most streets I can point out "that's a drug den" "that's a brothel (yes there are a few brothels)" "local drug dealers live there"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • But in WGCs defence, most people will never know that or ever come into contact with it so it's only an issue if you are aware of it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Having slept in the disabled lift at Fleet train station I can heartily recommend the area.

I’d avoid Portsmouth, always found it quite rough when I went there. Bristol and Bath are very expensive, getting towards London levels in parts.

Hove would my choice if I was moving but very expensive. What about somewhere like Rutland? Great outdoors, decent boozers, low crime, well within budget, big cities 30 minutes away.
  • You should describe exactly where these drug dens and brothels are so we can avoid them.
  • There are beautiful parts of the UK all over the place but the only sensible move is from Sheffield up. The affordable parts of the South don't handle poverty well. Wales is ok but they will insist on talking Welsh to annoy you. Don't take offense, they don't like anybody not from Wales.

Manchester is great but getting expensive, Leeds is boring, Liverpool is fun as is Newcastle. Glasgow and Edinburgh are both truly great cities. There are plenty of small towns that are good to live in all over the North of England - Yorkshire, Lancashire, Northumberland (although it's getting a bit like Cornwall with all the second homes). Or go remote Scotland - people will visit you to save you the bother of visiting them.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Plenty going on in Leeds, not sure why its boring. Especially when half you old cunts are pushing 50.

People will not visit you if you live in remote Scotland. They'll do it once then never bother again because its a total fuck about.
    Particularly problematic as relatives get older.
    My Aunt and Uncle used to live in Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness. Complete fuck around and absolutely nothing to do once you've looked at the loch. Bleak as all fuck 9 months of the year as well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was impressed by Liverpool when I visited it. Liked Edinburgh too. But that was just a tourist's eye. Living in cities is a different proposition altogether. Cost being the main issue.

Was in Leeds a long time ago but I got a good vibe from it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm from Leeds and it lacks identity. The amount of new builds has wrecked the skyline - a problem in Manchester too. Yes it has stuff to do like any city but it's mainly full of people talking about how trendy it's getting. Never a good sign if they have to continually point it out. Some great pubs but where in Yorkshire doesn't? It's fine I guess, but only that.
  • Leeds is the kind of city that people REALLY dress up to go out. The amount of hairdressers is quite astonishing.
  • Hard to put my finger on but I think humour is what it lacks.
  • Sounds like "I dont like my home town" syndrome more than anything else.
  • Leeds is the kind of city that people REALLY dress up to go out. The amount of hairdressers is quite astonishing.

That’s everywhere outside of major international cities though. Look at smaller towns like Lytham St Anne’s - wine bars and bling to go with their golf course. A place needs real success and ingrained confidence for people to start rocking up at its finest restaurants in their jeans and T-shirt. Like Glasgow or London.
  • This might shock you all to the core but I have in fact been to a restaurant, in jeans, IN LEEDS!

It definitely has the chavvy wine bars but has plenty of the rest as well.
  • Every single person on this forum is too old to be trying to be part of some underground trendy movement.
    Get out grandad.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tell you what, first chance I get kid I'm going to get out of this small town shit hole and go to a big city like Leeds
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • You need to earn a good deal above average salary for London to be worthwhile living in.

edit: quick google, average rent last year in London was £26k. Take home from average salary without pension or student loan is £28k. G'luck. Hope you like the Tate Gallery.
  • It is friendly though, despite what people say.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll say it again - Glasgow. If F and I could move our jobs to there we would do it in a heartbeat. We'd get even better for our money than we currently do (I recently saw my childhood home go up for sale and wanted to buy it so badly) and in terms of everything from culture to events to food it just rules.
  • It is friendly though, despite what people say.

London?

I'd say its not un-friendly. People confuse unfriendliness for people just getting on with their shit. Its a fast place to live and people don't have time for your shit when getting somewhere. Once in their work, home, social bubbles people are fine. Not as friendly as the North though.
  • No shouts for Ipswich yet.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is friendly though, despite what people say.
    London? I'd say its not un-friendly. People confuse unfriendliness for people just getting on with their shit. Its a fast place to live and people don't have time for your shit when getting somewhere. Once in their work, home, social bubbles people are fine. Not as friendly as the North though.

Yeah. People will talk to you if you ask them stuff. They never know where anything is either, because they're never from there either. But yeah they are always in a rush.
  • Next time I'm in London I'm going to stop somebody and ask them why they're rushing around like a lunatic. It's not as though the transport is bad but maybe the commute is the problem.
  • monkey wrote:
    No shouts for Ipswich yet.

And there never will be.
  • My experience living in London was that I knew stuff within a radius of tube and train stations, venturing a bit further expanding the circles until they overlap and I suddenly realised where I am.

Huge areas of very similar looking buildings though which are easy to mistake one area for another, especially if drunk.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My uncle lives in Ipswich. Worse than Jaywick.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is friendly though, despite what people say.
    London? I'd say it's not un-friendly. People confuse unfriendliness for people just getting on with their shit. It's a fast place to live and people don't have time for your shit when getting somewhere. Once in their work, home, social bubbles people are fine. Not as friendly as the North though.

I'd describe it as highly transient. I lived on a road there with great neighbours on each side, but we all knew we were there for a number of years and then off somewhere else. We didn't really care about the local community, just about where was good to go out.

Where I live now (North) is friendlier. Strong community and I say hello to randoms all the time.

The Leeds thing. I like Leeds. Would have no issue working there. Plenty of places to go out, shop, eat etc. A real tech hub too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!