Where to live in the UK
  • I wish we lost our aversion to change and risk, and cashed out of London somewhere nicer
  • Never say never. Except I just did, twice, but the point stands.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've lived in many places in the UK and abroad.  Each has positives and negatives.

The longest I have ever lived in one place is my current home, Liverpool and I've been here nearly 20 years.  Like every city, it has good and less good places.  However, don't let the stereotypes cloud your judgement.  The city centre is great, loads of nightlife of every kind you would need.  You are only a few minutes drive from the seaside.  Great transport links in all directions.  You can be in Scotland in a couple of hours, Wales in half an hour.  Manchester airport is about 45 mins away (although if you can get a flight out of Liverpool airport then do that as its so quick and much easier).

Cost of living is pretty good for a city and you could find good housing at very reasonable prices in lovely areas.  The locals are a pretty friendly bunch and tend towards being more accepting of folk from elsewhere than many other places in the UK (Comes from being a port city for so long, everyone has got some family history from somewhere else).  The right wing nazi groups have tried to do marches in Liverpool, it did not end well for them.

Another place I'd recommend for your shortlist is Glasgow.  Similar vibe to Liverpool.
  • Birmingham is an ok place to live on paper. It's got everything you need, roads aren't too bad, schools are fine, lots of parks etc etc. But it's a cultural black hole and an underachiever across every other metric. It seems like they've been trying to invent a culture here, and try and celebrate the place a bit. It's mostly people saying 'bab' a lot.

Like most big cities, it's had a lot of private development money poured into it so it's sort of improved and more attractive than it was. But that's the standard glass skyscrapers, flats and shopping centres that have been put up everywhere else.

Best curries by a mile though. You don't really get a bad one. I didn't like Indian food before I moved here. Then I realised it was because I'd been eating the crap the rest of the country eats.

It was the only metropolitan area in the country to vote for Brexit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve got to come out and defend the Midlands (whatever that means) or Birmingham here from both Monkey and Cupatay. Not that I’m trying to change JonB’s decision.

@cupatay I get you have an opinion but to call the whole region a shithole based on your own personal experience is a bit much. I’d also like to know what the criteria are for it.

As for the culture comment I think you need to elaborate on that a bit more. You say it’s a cultural black hole @monkey how are you measuring that?

• Heh, nah the whole regions not a shit hole. There are some lovely parts to live around here, the people are generally friendly and it's cheap in some parts. I wouldn't realy recommend it to anyone though because what you find here, you'll find in most places around the country.

So while it was just an off the cuff comment not to be taken too seriously, I will say, personally I hate big cities, crowded places and the rat race mentality. Give me rural, give me coastal, fresh air and nature any day.

Tell you what is good here, desi pubs and orange chips.
  • I don't want to slag it off too much as I'm happy enough here. The area I live in, I really like. But it's cultural output has been and still is pretty poor, especially for it's size. Music, literature, film, TV, comedy, it doesn't really have any tradition in any of those. Not if you measure it against some other places, half it's size. It was embarrassing how mad people went for Peaky Blinders shite around here. The football teams have got no excuse for being as bad as they are.

The city centre is nice and big and got everything you want there. They're tearing down all the old Brutalist monster buildings and replacing them with weirdo space-age stuff I dislike and think will age just as badly. It's not really a nice place to walk around.

Apparently Digbeth is really good for live music now but I'm too old for that.
  • It's probably quite mean to slag off the music history of Birmingham. It's done pretty well. But Britain as a whole has done pretty well over the years.
  • Is there supposed to be another part?
    there's the nice bits near all the roundabouts, and then the less nice bits also near roundabouts.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If your other half is Cypriot, and kids are half Cypriot, I would certainly consider somewhere within striking distance of north London like Green Lanes. Plenty of cheaper places in Edmonton, Barnet, or further out.

It's one thing to move to a foreign country, it's another to go without a certain type of bread, yoghurt, baklava, ktayef, etc.

There are other enclaves but that's the main one i know about.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Eg Stevenage - 1 HR to Green Lanes.

I can't move out of London because I can't just eat Tesco food. I just can't. I need efnik

Birmingham is the only other city i could put up with, though they tell me Manchester is viable.

Glasgow i like but efnik = Indian over there
  • You can find the good stuff in most big UK cities, but you really have to know where to look. Visitors haven’t got a chance. London, Brum and Manchester have more of it, more out in the open.
  • Eg Stevenage - 1 HR to Green Lanes.

I can't move out of London because I can't just eat Tesco food. I just can't. I need efnik

Birmingham is the only other city i could put up with, though they tell me Manchester is viable.

Glasgow i like but efnik = Indian over there

Don't move to Stevenage. I live 15 mins away.
    It's a horrible place. Crime through the roof
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I meant more like an example, you can liver around it. Or potters bar, Hatfield, st Alban's, welwyn gdn
  • Don't move to Stevenage. I live 15 mins away. It's a horrible place. Crime through the roof
    Cat burglars, eh?
  • Onzo, you're wrong. In Glasgow, efnik = queer punk vegan pay what you can afford café.

IYK, YK.
  • If your other half is Cypriot, and kids are half Cypriot, I would certainly consider somewhere within striking distance of north London like Green Lanes. Plenty of cheaper places in Edmonton, Barnet, or further out. It's one thing to move to a foreign country, it's another to go without a certain type of bread, yoghurt, baklava, ktayef, etc. There are other enclaves but that's the main one i know about.
    No kids to consider, and the wife likes fish and chips as much as any Yorkshireperson. Besides, there's bound to be a decent kebab place nearby.

I think somewhere like Barnet would be way out of our price range anyway.
  • Just to make sure you'll look at Halifax properly I'll try and sell it some more. I don't live there but I will when the boy grows up. Great links to Leeds or Manchester. All the nice Yorkshire and Lancashire stuff isn't far away and a direct train to London if you need it. Cheap for a reasonable old stone house. Great views of the surrounding Calder Valley. Friendly and full of Northern charm. Village feel but great pubs and places to eat. Wonderful Victorian market bang in the middle - although not as good as Kirkgate in Leeds. The Peace Hall - google it.
    An interesting shout. I live just down the road and worked in Halifax for a few years. It's a bit of a dump I think. The Piece Hall is a nice improvement to the town. Great gig venue in the right weather, but a tourist attraction by day pretty much. Plenty of really run down areas. The parts around the park are nice and the park itself is great. It's the kind of town that doesn't offer either the benefits of a big City or the benefits of a small town. I'd be looking at areas outside of Halifax in the Upper Calder Valley. Luddenden for example is just outside.
    I like the fact it's not posh. My Mum lives in Elland but the trouble with the neighbouring places is thar they're a littel to far to walk back from The Victorian.

The Victorian as in the craft beer pub?

I do think West Yorkshire is underrated in parts. Possibly because of its more industrial past compared to the more upmarket towns in North Yorkshire. I love exploring the crumbling ruins of the industrial past in the Calder Valley. I also love the feeling of remoteness when out on a walk or bike ride. It's especially therapeutic in today's world. That's a very specific thing of course, but hard to know what exactly appeals to Jon without digging a bit deeper and I can't get a sense from the thread so far whether the preference is being in a city or a town. Personally, I know I couldn't live in a city in the UK again (spent 30 years in Liverpool and 7 in London).

Ultimately I think Jon willl have to visit a few places to get a feel.
  • Onzo, you're wrong. In Glasgow, efnik = queer punk vegan pay what you can afford café.

IYK, YK.

And that’s just the Southside.

• I wish more cafes down here were pay what you can afford tbh.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Glasgow tops Edinburgh by a mighty mighty distance. Now that the Brunswick Cellars has reopened the Sauchiehall St divebar experience is back to full power.
  • I meant more like an example, you can liver around it. Or potters bar, Hatfield, st Alban's, welwyn gdn
    Used to police Hatfield and Welwyn garden city.
    Would absolutely NOT recommend them either. But I get your point, somewhere outside of the M25 but with decent transport links.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Those places will surely be more than £1000-£1200 for a 3 bed right?

edit: Rightmove suggests £1800-£2000 for somewhere not miserable in St Albans. £1300 gets you a flat above a parade of shops, no baklava is worth that.
  • g.man wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:
    How about Norwich and round that way?
    It's hard to take that seriously with your avatar. But yeah, we did consider it briefly. I'm sure Norwich itself is fine, but it just looks a bit remote from pretty much everything else.
    Like Monkey says, it'll be in the sea soon.
    Norwich is the most openly racist place I ever visited back when I was working down south, so no great loss there then.

Slightly biased as a Norwich City fan (Dad’s from there, I only lived there for three years whilst at University) but I think Norwich is genuinely one of the best small cities in the country and I’d happily live there even if I didn’t follow the club…would agree it’s not the most accessible, but it’s got pretty much everything you’d need in the city itself and there’s some of the best beaches in the country (almost) on the doorstep.

We looked at it and north Norfolk as an option for our house move, but couldn’t make the numbers work for train commuting into Westminster - ended up choosing a small seaside town in Thanet, established enough to have its own gentle feel (exactly what we were after) and close enough to the ‘up and coming’ areas without having to live through it.

The two hour twenty minute commute provides a chance to catch up on telly… :-)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bristol might be a good shout. Good independent/bohemian vibe to parts of the city centre, close to Bath, good transport links to London, and not too pricey AFAIK.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye Brizzle is canny
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Plus loads of great cider.
  • Cardiff’s nice. Just saying.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!