Where to live in the UK
  • poprock wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Coventry is an awful city
    It really, really is. Coventry has passed through being soulless and out the other side into being genuinely hateful.
    The bit round the cathedral is nice. Just a shame that you have to pass through 9 circles of hell (and the ring road) to get there.
  • Oh something else that helped us that you're probably already doing is watching 'walk through' vids of the areas you're interested in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Coventry was flattened in WW2 so it likely suffers from that fact.

However the biggest surprise I ever had visiting a WW2 flattened city was Dresden. Gorgeous place - they just built it back the way it was - they are still working on it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cov was rebuilt in a rush after the war, then the industry died with Thatcher and now it's a concrete hellscape.
  • davyK wrote:
    Coventry was flattened in WW2 so it likely suffers from that fact.

What it really suffers from is being redesigned and built from the ground up in the ’50s and ’60s, while the planning and architectural professions had their heads up their collective arses. Coventry was a blank canvas for them to realise their incompetent plans and dearth of ambition.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Jaywick's near me.
  • Just to make sure you'll look at Halifax properly I'll try and sell it some more. I don't live there but I will when the boy grows up. Great links to Leeds or Manchester. All the nice Yorkshire and Lancashire stuff isn't far away and a direct train to London if you need it. Cheap for a reasonable old stone house. Great views of the surrounding Calder Valley. Friendly and full of Northern charm. Village feel but great pubs and places to eat. Wonderful Victorian market bang in the middle - although not as good as Kirkgate in Leeds. The Peace Hall - google it.

An interesting shout. I live just down the road and worked in Halifax for a few years. It's a bit of a dump I think. The Piece Hall is a nice improvement to the town. Great gig venue in the right weather, but a tourist attraction by day pretty much. Plenty of really run down areas. The parts around the park are nice and the park itself is great. It's the kind of town that doesn't offer either the benefits of a big City or the benefits of a small town. I'd be looking at areas outside of Halifax in the Upper Calder Valley. Luddenden for example is just outside.
  • Cramlington is where the cool people in Northumberland live. Not as posh as Morpeth, not as radgie as Blyth, not full of mackems like most of the places grem mentioned ;)
    I did think of Cramlington, but I've only ever been to the shitty part of it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is there supposed to be another part?
  • JonB wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    There's some lovely small towns within easy travelling distance of the Toon, but there's also a fair amount of parochial, backwards and deprived villages (think Royston Vasey without the charming surrealism) with their fair share of cunts.
    Yeah, another consideration is avoiding cunts, especially racist cunts. Don't want to end up in some frothing flag shagging enclave.

Well that's Morpeth out.
  • Is there supposed to be another part?

Hahaha. One of the things I love about the NE is that they really love their region but also love hating each other.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cunts are everywhere unfortunately.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My pitch for Glasgow and it's suburbs is that here, on your doorstep you'll have probably the most vibrant and diverse cultural scene, amazing architecture, amazing food/nightlife etc but then also the fact that, you can literally drive for about an hour north and you're in prime Visit Scotland tourism movie scene postcards, real LOTR stuff. It's crazy how small Scotland is sometimes.

This. I didn't mention Glasgow because it felt too northern for Jon, but I'm planning on being back there in the next 5 years or so. My favourite UK city.
  • drumbeg wrote:
    Just to make sure you'll look at Halifax properly I'll try and sell it some more. I don't live there but I will when the boy grows up. Great links to Leeds or Manchester. All the nice Yorkshire and Lancashire stuff isn't far away and a direct train to London if you need it. Cheap for a reasonable old stone house. Great views of the surrounding Calder Valley. Friendly and full of Northern charm. Village feel but great pubs and places to eat. Wonderful Victorian market bang in the middle - although not as good as Kirkgate in Leeds. The Peace Hall - google it.
    An interesting shout. I live just down the road and worked in Halifax for a few years. It's a bit of a dump I think. The Piece Hall is a nice improvement to the town. Great gig venue in the right weather, but a tourist attraction by day pretty much. Plenty of really run down areas. The parts around the park are nice and the park itself is great. It's the kind of town that doesn't offer either the benefits of a big City or the benefits of a small town. I'd be looking at areas outside of Halifax in the Upper Calder Valley. Luddenden for example is just outside.

I like the fact it's not posh. My Mum lives in Elland but the trouble with the neighbouring places is thar they're a littel to far to walk back from The Victorian.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • JonB wrote:
    I don't want to live in the Midlands. I lived around Leamington, Warwick, Stratford for many years. They're dull (apologies to anyone still there). Coventry is an awful city and I've never liked Birmingham much either.

Also, those places are expensive. More than we can likely afford, hence looking further afield. And even Northumberland is still a lot closer to my parents than Cyprus.

I was gonna say don't come back to the Midlands, it is a shithole and you're right, its dull as fuck.

How about Norwich and round that way?

I'd love to live in Dorset or Cornwall, can't imagine it's cheap though.
  • East Anglia will be in the sea in 20 years.
  • Have you considered Swindon?

It's only mildly stabby
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • JonB wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    (Stuff about Ripon, York and Leeds)  Hope it's vaguely helpful.
    It is. The wife was looking at Ripon, along with Knaresborough and Harrogate, although the latter seemed too expensive and the traffic is apparently awful there. I don't know if that's your experience. But yeah, Ripon is likely to stay on the list.

Traffic is all relative I guess. Harrogate has a pretty useless ring road which gets badly clogged up at rush hour.  (Mornings are worse when schools + businesses hit it at the same time.). But compared to a lot of cities it's nothing really.  But yes, the main issue with Harrogate is that it's an expensive place to live compared to Knaresborough and Ripon, and I've never really known why.  There's a good cycle route from Knaresborough to Harrogate if you find yourselves set on Harrogate but unable to afford it.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Knaresborough itself, though it's an undeniably odd place.  (It's best summed up in the fact that its primary tourist attraction is Mother Shipton's cave - a not very impressive cave which in turn probably didn't really house Mother Shipton, who in all probability didn't actually write the prophecies ascribed to her.  Meanwhile, on the other side of the river, almost exactly opposite, with very little signposting or fanfare is another cave - St Robert's Cave.  This is the actual, definite historical home of Saint Robert, was the site of frequent pilgrimage from his death in 1218 to the reformation, and one of the few remaining medieval hermitages in the country. No-one seems to really notice or care.  Knaresborough then - a place with much to recommend it, but even the people that live there seemingly haven't noticed.)

Anyway - feel free to message if you want any more detail on the local area.  Equally if you ever find yourself in these parts on a scouting mission let me know - you're welcome to stay, and I can act as (terrible) tour guide...
  • Cupatay wrote:
    It's hard to take that seriously with your avatar. But yeah, we did consider it briefly. I'm sure Norwich itself is fine, but it just looks a bit remote from pretty much everything else.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Anyway - feel free to message if you want any more detail on the local area.  Equally if you ever find yourself in these parts on a scouting mission let me know - you're welcome to stay, and I can act as (terrible) tour guide...
    Well that would be amazing, thanks. We're obviously still a way off doing anything yet, and mostly just kicking ideas around, but I'll let you know if we do decide to take a closer look.
  • JonB wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:
    It's hard to take that seriously with your avatar. But yeah, we did consider it briefly. I'm sure Norwich itself is fine, but it just looks a bit remote from pretty much everything else.

Like Monkey says, it'll be in the sea soon.
  • JonB wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:
    It's hard to take that seriously with your avatar.

Heh, yeah, now that you mention it.

• JonB wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:

Norwich is the most openly racist place I ever visited back when I was working down south, so no great loss there then.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Norwich is the most openly racist place I ever visited.

Norwich and Tamworth in the final of the racism cup then.
  • No one speaking up for Selby?
  • g.man wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Cupatay wrote:
    Norwich is the most openly racist place I ever visited back when I was working down south, so no great loss there then.

They shall become boat dwelling folk and embrace a world without borders. Or more likely be forced to move to another county and get annoyed with migration over there. Maybe they can beat themselves up.
  • They're going to come dragging their knuckles to the Midlands, searching for a better life.
  • I'd rather live with old Gilly Costner
  • Gremill wrote:
    My pitch for Glasgow and it's suburbs is that here, on your doorstep you'll have probably the most vibrant and diverse cultural scene, amazing architecture, amazing food/nightlife etc but then also the fact that, you can literally drive for about an hour north and you're in prime Visit Scotland tourism movie scene postcards, real LOTR stuff. It's crazy how small Scotland is sometimes.

This. I didn't mention Glasgow because it felt too northern for Jon, but I'm planning on being back there in the next 5 years or so. My favourite UK city.

Grem knows.

Glesga >>>>>>>>> Edinburgh and just about everywhere else 'north'.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!