adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I mean the reference to the Palestinians in the OP is in the context of providing links to charitable organisations helping out with the humanitarian crisis (they don’t have the basic supplies required to support life). There isn’t a corresponding reference to Israel because there isn’t a corresponding humanitarian crisis.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's a shame Knight has disengaged from this thread, otherwise he'd have to respond to points like that, which might actually require nuance
  • Knight wrote:
    As for the ‘slow genicide of the Palestinian people’ in the OP.

The children in Gaza don't exhibit PTSD because there is no "post" for them. It's something they've been living with their entire lives. 16 days of relentless bombing is completely destroying them, mentally.
  • Knight wrote:
    Veering dangerously close to anti-Semitic tropes in here.

As for the ‘slow genicide of the Palestinian people’ in the OP. I find it incredibly grim that after the most horrific, awful atrocities committed by Hamas, and given the ongoing calls for genicide against Jews in cities across the west it’s only Israel’s crimes that merit that tag in the OP.

I won’t be contributing anymore to the thread so apologies in advance to anyone engaging with my post, but don’t feel like you need to.

It'd be interesting if Knight was to actually substantiate his allegation that the thread is 'veering dangerously close to anti-Semitic tropes' with some examples, or respond to any of the points made since his post - but I won't hold my breath.

The issue here is the balance of power held in that region. All of the power lies with the Israeli state both in the oppression of the Palestinians and in any potential solutions to the current nightmare or the ongoing nightmare that they have inflicted on Palestine since the late 1930s.

Maybe if Israel started to treat Palestinians, the people as distinct from Hamas, with dignity, respect and equity of opportunity and rights then maybe things could be moved forwards towards some kind of peace that I believe the vast majority of people in the region want.

However it's clear both in words and deeds that many of those that control the levers of power in the current Israeli administration just don't see the Palestinians, or Arabs generally, as being equal to the Jewish people in terms of any of the elements listed above. They're ethno-nationalist fascists and they are being enabled by almost every Western government in their acts of collective punishment, ethic cleansing and genocide.

What Hamas did on 7/10 was an atrocity - but this is one atrocious act on timeline of atrocious acts stretching back decades. It doesn't justify it, but at least provides some context.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm thoroughly sick and tired of a humanitarian stance being painted as antisemitic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The only trope I can see is mention of "rich Jews" being a factor in all this on page one, for a few posts. I too thought it was maybe putting us on a slippery slope but didn't post at the time. Just my observation.
  • For the avoidance of doubt though, absolutely fuck Netenyahu, his govt and those carrying out his orders. If you believe that makes me anti-semetic, fuck you too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's very easy to point the finger from a distance; especially if we don't have a dog in the fight as it where.

Horrifically complicated but I've always observed that Israel seem to have a golden ticket to do pretty much what they want.

I'm still wondering if the initial Hamas attack was designed to prompt such a response and if so is the level of response that is under way accounted for?

Right now there has to be a deal with respect to a ceasefire, restoration of services and access to aid in return for the hostages.  As to what happens next there needs to be leadership on both sides.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm thoroughly sick and tired of a humanitarian stance being painted as antisemitic.

100% agree

• Well, antisemitism was weaponised by the establishment as a means of eradicating Corbyn and any threat that he (and the groundswell of support for his views) may have posed to the status quo. Not that Corbyn was ever actually antisemitic of course (or tolerated/condoned it in any form).

There are many reasons why the UK and US govts in particular consider the Israeli govt as an ally. In part it is a global balancing act, siding with a powerful foreign state to try to ensure regional stability in the middle east (and look how well that's going). Unfortunately much of it also has to do with corruption, money and frankly racist agendas pursued by these major govts. 

It's no secret that the Tory govt (and now Starmer's Labour Party too) consider Islamic extremism as the greatest single threat to global security. Unfortunately, not only is this a rather myopic world view but also, in the case of the Tories particularly, this spills over into rampant islamophobia (as evidenced in abundance lately). 

It's also no secret that the Tories have been breaking international law with impunity by selling around £500m of arms to the Israeli regime in recent years. Our govt knows perfectly well that the Israeli govt have been committing atrocities against the Palestinian people for generations, but they believe that siding with them is the only route to global security, even if it means selling them the munitions with which they are committing such atrocities.

The tightrope which the US and UK govts are currently trying to walk is on the verge of snapping, at which point their disingenuous cries to the Israeli regime to 'abide by international law' will become untenable as they've made themselves utterly complicit in one of the worst genocides of the modern era.
  • The only trope I can see is mention of "rich Jews" being a factor in all this on page one, for a few posts. I too thought it was maybe putting us on a slippery slope but didn't post at the time. Just my observation.
    Aye, might have been me who framed that "rich Jews" cliche although I am fairly sure that it could be objectively proven that Jewish people are very successful at generating wealth.
    Anyhows the vibe I am getting from this thread is "genocide is shit", as others have said it would be appreciated if someone could point out where this is being deviated from.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I am fairly sure that it could be objectively proven that Jewish people are very successful at generating wealth.

I'm really not sure that's helping.
  • Yeeeeeeah, unless we're being super sarky tongue in cheek about it.... The word objectively is throwing me off.
  • Remember that correlation is not the same as causation, and broad generalisations about a group of people are rarely accurate and generally unconstructive.
  • The best thing any of us can realistically do outside of direct donations etc is to keep up the pressure on our governments, and make it clear that facilitating a genocide is going to make those politicians really really unpopular. There's a big danger that this war could get massive if Israel is allowed to go through with the ethnic cleansing, if Iran and others aren't compelled to act conventionally then at the very least I think a spate of serious terror attacks are virtually guaranteed.
  • I think a spate of serious terror attacks are virtually guaranteed.
    Our govt's unabashed support for a genocidal anti-muslim regime will undoubtedly be a catalyst for further terrorist atrocities on UK soil too.
    They're overdoing it to the extent that the term is going to be devalued and people stop paying attention to it. Then they're really in trouble. 

It's almost a joke at this point. Various social media imbeciles were calling Greta Thunberg's toy octopus anti-semitic because they thought she was referencing a kraken, which is apparently a Nazi symbol for Jews being bad or something.
  • While I think Greta herself may have innocently had that, it's prominent placement was no accident.
  • While I think Greta herself may have innocently had that, it's prominent placement was no accident.

Do you think that might perhaps be absolute bollocks?
  • Listening to representatives from the Israeli government talk openly that the only thing the IDF did wrong in the past was to listen to the calls for ceasefires and discussions and they should have those calls and just attacked Gaza further. then came lie after lie about the crimes Hamas had 'committed', calling the BBC complicit, and when that wasn't enough, ended the interview with a flounce. All because Derbyshire wouldn't nod along and agree with them.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've seen a few of her interviews lately, including one with Naftali Bennett yesterday, and she's pretty tenacious in the face of ludicrous attempts to portray Israel as a victim rather than the major aggressor in this conflict. There have also been IDF representatives still trying to deny in recent days that there is any kind of humanitarian crisis in Gaza, despite the displacement of millions of people, the cutting off of water, and the wholesale razing to the ground of entire districts. It's also beyond farcical to attempt to claim that the IDF are 'minimising civilian casualties' in the face of all of this, especially as the civilian death toll has now reached over 5000 in the past couple of weeks alone.
  • The Israeli ambassador went on Sky news and basically said there's not a humanitarian crisis in Gaza, probably because she doesn't see Palestinians as humans.

Edit: just read that 51% of homes in Gaza are now destroyed, after last night's extremely heavy bombing. 1.4 Palestinians are now homeless. God knows what the death and injury toll is at now, must be close to tens of thousands.
  • A source familiar with the progress of the Hamas hostage release talks being brokered by Qatar told me earlier that negotiations to get more people freed from Gaza had entered a "serious stage".

They said "intense and focused" talks through a Qatari mediator and involving the US were ongoing, to build on Friday's release of two US citizens.

Hamas was said to have given a "positive response" regarding the release of about 50 foreign and dual-nationality civilian hostages in exchange for a ceasefire and the entry of more aid into Gaza.

The source said Israel's rejection of any ceasefire was holding up any breakthrough.

Responding to reports that Hamas might trade foreign hostages in return for a ceasefire, a senior official in the Israeli government responded: “A ceasefire is ridiculous! It's like asking the US for a ceasefire after 9/11 - and this is 20 times worse."

In its latest count, Israel estimated that 222 people are being held by Hamas in Gaza.
    - BBC

Biden -
    “I caution this: while you feel that rage, don’t be consumed by it,” Biden said. In an apparent reference to the US’s prosecution of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, he added: “After 9/11, we were enraged in the United States. When we sought justice and got justice, we also made mistakes.”
    Israel risked “losing credibility worldwide” if it did not “relieve the suffering of people who have nowhere to go”, Biden said, describing “very blunt” conversations with officials in Tel Aviv during his visit.

Then there's our cunt Sunak who just 'wants Israel to win'...
  • He has also announced to the commons that UK intelligence sources believe the hospital strike was caused by terrorist rockets. I wonder if we’ll ever get more conclusive evidence
  • A powerful and, for the author, potentially (probably, from what Noxy reports) high stakes indictment of Germany’s suppression of support for Palestinians:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/23/bosnia-muslims-germany-gaza-ethnic-cleansing-palestinian

Explores the ridiculous idea that expressing support for and condemning atrocities against Palestinians is equivalent to antisemitism, especially if we don’t preface and end every comment on the subject with “hamas are terrorists and performed heinous acts”, like some kind of nursery catechism for infantile thinkers
  • Sheeeeet. 

Also, evidence that our government has re the hospital bombing being due to rocket fired from Gaza? Er, no. They haven’t. 

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1716500890591400428?s=46&t=xJqsAiAKde1Nu-EamiZ1Sw
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And lo Islamophobia is gaining traction. Was planning a holiday to US/New York next year, not sure anymore!

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/oct/23/mp-stopped-from-boarding-air-canada-flight-as-his-name-was-mohammad
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Sheeeeet. 

Also, evidence that our government has re the hospital bombing being due to rocket fired from Gaza? Er, no. They haven’t. 

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1716500890591400428?s=46&t=xJqsAiAKde1Nu-EamiZ1Sw

DI_Yardstick_HD.jpg

So what he is saying is that intelligence analyst think there is a 25-35% chance it was Israel, and a 55-75% chance it was Hamas/other.

So no certainty, and no first hand intelligence, just analysis based on open source information.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!