Palestine and the Middle East - a thread
  • Even if true it will be because of very deliberate propaganda that no nation is immune from, some just have more manipulatable social features, histories or politics. 
    Which is on Netanyahu and friends.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Israelis in general are massively patriotic. The number that have told me they would happily die for their country is shocking. The whole country has spent years in the army, so they have had the defence of the nation stuff pummelled into them.
  • Kow wrote:
    Israelis in general are massively patriotic. The number that have told me they would happily die for their country is shocking. The whole country has spent years in the army, so they have had the defence of the nation stuff pummelled into them.

Which is understandable when you consider the reason Israel even exists.

That then becomes an easy point of manipulation, which patriotism so often is. Its very easy to tip pride in your nation into pitting your nation against others, or saying that one particular type of person or viewpoint represents the nation and another doesn't.
  • 24% unemployment seems high or am I reading that wrong?

Just a thing on banks reacting, yes there is true but they don't have to. We all have a choice in how we earn money. I realise I am asking far too much in asking banks to completely abstain from finance involving conflict, there is still something ghoulish about talking about the opportunity for revenue in all this , as quoted in the article.

SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ultra orthodox Jews in Israel in general don't work.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    What a complete nutter...

• LivDiv wrote:

Strongly disagree, they've been doing terrible shit for over 70yrs but largely, and as per, it's the West that made this mess, supported it ever since or looked the other way. Now they seem to have full support for war crimes they're using the massacre to finally do what they've always wanted to do and kill as many as they can before someone steps in.

There is no exit strategy here apart from the usual one which is to kick them off their land until there's nothing left and that's been the case since the late 40's.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • IDF tanks are southwest of Gaza City, in north Gaza. Apparently firing at cars that attempt to approach. There's still thousands of people in at least one hospital in the city, don't know what's going to happen to them.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Strongly disagree, they've been doing terrible shit for over 70yrs but largely, and as per, it's the West that made this mess, supported it ever since or looked the other way. Now they seem to have full support for war crimes they're using the massacre to finally do what they've always wanted to do and kill as many as they can before someone steps in. There is no exit strategy here apart from the usual one which is to kick them off their land until there's nothing left and that's been the case since the late 40's.

and friends is a long line of people with simialr attitudes to Netanyahu.
  • Friends is pushing it. General populace seems more accurate.
  • Not really no.
    There is a line of individuals using the same manipulations as Netanyahu is using currently, either directly related to Netanyahu or not.

Either that or you have to come up with another explanation as to why Israelis are going along with this and any suggestion of "evil" or "baddies" is for toddlers and Marvel fans.
  • Will 'cunts' do?
  • 'Wealthy, educated cunts that like brutalising really poor people'?
  • Can we at least settle on a nation that thinks Islam is evil and Muslims are the baddies?
  • Wealth doesn't protect from manipulation and education can be a part of propaganda, that is easily seen in many countries including our own.
  • Can we at least settle on a nation that thinks Islam is evil and Muslims are the baddies?
    Yes, because that is the main thrust of the propaganda they have been taught.
  • I'm not suggesting there aren't reasons for them turning into cunts but after 70yrs of cuntery I think the word should be part of the conversation.
  • The main and urgent thing now is they need to be stopped.
  • The problem I see with saying most Israelis are bad is that that is the same excuse used by the Israelis to say it's ok to gun down civilians.
    I wonder if the support is a lot of must agree or be attacked/ostracized?

Another worry is this might be used by other countries to excuse ethic cleansing-if they are called out they will just point at the support given to Israel and use the same excuses.
    You rang.....
  • Braverman and others are trying to make "From the river to the sea" count as antisemitic hate speech - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_river_to_the_sea
    Interpretations differ amongst supporters of the slogan. Civic figures have argued that it calls for a single state in all of historic Palestine where people of all religions have equal citizenship.[12][13][14] This usage has been described as speaking out for the right of Palestinians “to live freely in the land from the river to the sea”, with Palestinian writer Yousef Munayyer describing the phrase as “a rejoinder to the fragmentation of Palestinian land and people by Israeli occupation and discrimination.”[15] According to Ron Smith since Palestinian nationalism envisages a land-based state, whilst Israeli nationalism envisages an ethnically-based state, the use of this phrase is understood differently by Israelis and Palestinians. According to Ron Smith, for Palestinians it refers to the entirety of Mandatory Palestine.

But it's not antisemitic is it, at most it's anti-Israel but Israel ≠ Jews. And how dare the Palestinian people desire to be united and free.

Chant ‘from the river to the sea’ deeply offensive to many, says Downing Street

This kind of shit where claims of antisemitism is used to outlaw reasonable speech is fucked, fuck that shit.
  • I've seen a few images of Israelis protesting whats going on, demanding an end to the military operations in Gaza, and for the release of their hostages, but also read that Netinyahu has authorised live fire on any protest, so yeah
  • I think public opinion has massively shifted though in the UK at least, and people aren't afraid to openly criticise israel anymore
  • The biggest problem is Israel hasn't been called out by the West ever. 70yrs is a long time to sort yourself out and it's not just Netanyahu. There are complex reasons why he's a cunt too but it's still a fact. At what point is enough enough?

Can we agree most Nazi's were bad? If so this reasoning should be applied here. I don't 'blame' people because the world is a complicated place (the word has no real meaning to me although I use it along with 'fault') but at what point do you call a nation out? It should've been done decades ago and maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. 

Netanyahu is not going to last and he'll just be another cunt in a long line who'll be replaced by an even bigger cunt because that's what they'll vote for. I think it's too late to change minds but at least the Israelis can be forced to stop this outrage, which I think will happen because if there's ever going to be a lasting peace in the ME they cannot be allowed to do what most Israelis want it's gov to do.
  • Do you think you achieve change by calling 90% of Israelis cunts though?

What is the through line to peace there?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Do you think you achieve change by calling 90% of Israelis cunts though? What is the through line to peace there?

The West not calling them cunts for decades is where we are today. The line to peace is forcing them to not behave like cunts. I'll stop using the word because I'm annoying myself, except to say they're a bunch of bad 'uns that need to be stopped.
  • Sounds like a plan.
    Give me a shout when peace happens.
  • Alright Chamberlain. You can enforce peace by carrying a big stick that both sides are forced to recognise, at least until talks can begin. Saying that the UN are generally useless.
  • What followed Chamberlain's removal as PM wasn't peace, it was war.
    If you want peace, now, today without the big war bit then you have to be talking cease fires and peace process which definitely does not involve calling everyone a cunt.

That particular war was also preceded by blaming the public for another war and punishing them for it. After that second war we decided not to blame the public but those responsible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!