Outriders - Square-Enix/People Can Fly Co-op Shooter
  • chrysal on my dick, fuckin' dumb bastard boss
  • I've played enough of this now to form an opinion I think.
    Its an OK SP/Co-op shooter that for unknown reasons has looter shooter and always online guff layered on top that really only serves to detract. 

The text has a glow on it that makes it hard to read even with large text turned on.

[7] low end.
  • Looter shooter stuff I am fine with, I like the numbers and perks. Some baffling design decisions though, and the always online stuff makes not a lick of sense.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Once me and tempy took down Chris I offhandedly mentioned that we will probably clear story by the end of the week and it is a solid 6.

I think that's going to be prophetic.
  • Tried this again. What a pile of dog shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You can't argue with that.
  • I really like it...think I’m entering the last area. Some of the firefights are awesomely intense.
  • Yeah for sure. Playing coop increases the amount and toughness of the enemies and it gets pretty full on!

Got my trickster in a good place now as well, feeling strong!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The unfathomable mediocrity of every facet of this games design is what keeps me from putting any more time into it. I mean, the run and gun gameplay is fine, if very bog standard, the abilities are wild, but also a bit shit. Everything else is just so bland and brown, the narrative and voice acting so infantile, the level design is some of the worst I've ever seen, invisible walls everywhere. Even the snap to cover function is unreliable. It's a real eye roller this game. I just can't bear anymore of it.

It's honestly as if they all sat round a table and decided to make the most generic ass shooter they could think of and then doubled down on it.

Total dog paff.
  • The unfathomable mediocrity of every facet of this games design is what keeps from putting any more time into it. I mean, the run and gun gameplay is fine, if very bog standard, the abilities are wild, but also a bit shit. Everything else is just so bland and brown, the narrative and voice acting so infantile, the level design is some of the worst I've ever seen, invisible walls everywhere. Even the snap to cover function is unreliable. It's a real eye roller this game. I just can't bear anymore of it.

It's honestly as if they all say round a table and decided to make the most generic ass shooter they could think of and then doubled down on it.

Total dog paff.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I can understand how you would feel like that and don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying. However, this is very much deliberately build around the Diablo formula of being solely focused on loot and builds. There definitely are issues with it, and it's not the kind of game that's going to set your world on fire. Having said that, it's going to be a slow few years now with Corona on the rampage so I guess I'll take what I can get in this vein.

Now, if they could marry the loot and skill design a long with the way mods work with the world building and art of Destiny. I'd be all in for that!
  • I assume the loot gets a bit more interesting further in than I played because it just seemed like an annoyance to me.

Particularly the decision to have to right thumb click to highlight what you wanted to recycle.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I assume the loot gets a bit more interesting further in than I played because it just seemed like an annoyance to me. Particularly the decision to have to right thumb click to highlight what you wanted to recycle.

This bothered me too, until I realised that there are colour tabs in the lower right hand corner that select everything of a certain colour that is unequipped.
  • The run and gun game play is definitely not standard. It becomes quite a complex mixture or managing cool downs, positioning, timing for skill synergy and monitoring your health/armour. The choice of mods, weapons, skills and skill tree makes a massive difference to how your character plays.
  • My main issue, the more I play as my rock wielding psychopath, is that the abilities are simultaneously cool but don't do enough damage (against bosses) and the shooting/camera closeness just doesn't feel fine tuned to deal with the abilities. I guess I could mess around with sensitivity, though I rarely bother in other games so it puts me off here, but I hate doing a fucking awesome gravity leap into a mob, turning 70% of them into mush, and then trying to heave my aim towards the goons who have survived. 

I like that killing, for my character, regains health, which incentivises getting right into the thick of it, but I dislike that every boss just feels like a tedious bulletsponge who gets tickled by all of my previously amazing abilities and has me running around on a third of my health. 

Yet still, I play because my brain is made of pee and poo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Theres a lot of genero-trudge about this, but I like the special abilities, and the plot is bad enough that I am quite enjoying it.

It's a perfectly cromulent game.
  • Proper 7 out of 10, B game disaster.
  • 2000s B-Game 7 out of 10 Disaster

They were popular in the 2006 right
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's shantastic
  • Too much wank in this for it to he a top tier B game.

Binary Domain laughs from its perch.
  • oh it’s not top tier
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Another burst with old Templeton today and I'm fairly sure we are gonna see it to credits given how far we are now. I'm still finding the combat fun, although at level 21 the unlocks are slowing down. The bosses continue to absolutely suck bullets and ass though.
  • On my 3rd attempt, i'm enjoying this. Took me ages to 'get' the combat. Have played with some super helpful randoms. Level 7 technomancer i think i am, world tier 5.
  • Level 7 or so is when I think you've got a few powers and things start clicking with the combat.

There's been a decent patch to this now as well, fixes a bunch of bugs and has some improvements
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Are you still enjoying it
  • I like this. It's great fun
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Are you still enjoying it

Really enjoying my time on the game, Reg
  • Finished this the other day and enjoyed it right up until the end. Ended up dropping the world tier for the last boss as it was a bit of a farce and had two sections, but if you died at the second you had to reply the entire encounter. Aside from that I really enjoyed Outriders and wish I'd got some Co-op action out of it.
    Artist also known as Verecocha...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!