Line of Duty (series 6 starting Sunday 21 March 2021) - discussion and spoilers.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Let's just all agree it was shit.

First time in this thread and not even going to read the in-depth posts. This sums it up.

Season 2 was the peak. Slow death since then. Season 6 was surprisingly awful though.
  • It was interesting in this series how once they’d decided that they didn’t have an actual ‘H’ they could make be the big bad that they crowbarred in some “it’s all a dream” style plot contrivance and then started referring to him as the “fourth man” instead. As the series progressed the term of H was definitely superseded by the fourth man. Just smacks of that confused tail eating I mentioned in my previous post.

It’s all just got too messy and gone too far.
  • They could have also got Buckles about 10 eps earlier if they’d bothered to follow up on definately in the manner that they suddenly did on Sunday. Urgh.
  • Yep.

The whole overarching thing was made up on the hoof.

For example Hastings used the misspelling when pretending to be an OCG based on “analysis of OCG communications”.

Some of the details are pure wonky and there are a few crumbs that exist for a new series.

For me - if they do it again (but I think they should stop) it should be a new trio. That feeling in the first series where it felt more about the cat and mouse of a person constantly covering up something is good and then seeing that unravel is good. But this I think worked less well in part because we were waiting for a legit true baddie to be hung out to dry.
  • Im wrapping this up today.

As ridiculous as the finale might end up being there is surely nothing more ridiculous than Steve spotting Dot doing morse code from a still of his death video. Then they take the four dots of H in morse code to conclude there are 4 top people for no apparent reason.
  • It was interesting in this series how once they’d decided that they didn’t have an actual ‘H’ they could make be the big bad that they crowbarred in some “it’s all a dream” style plot contrivance and then started referring to him as the “fourth man” instead. As the series progressed the term of H was definitely superseded by the fourth man. Just smacks of that confused tail eating I mentioned in my previous post. It’s all just got too messy and gone too far.

It all went really pear shaped when they revised Dot's dying declaration into that morse code thing (which translated H into 4). That was fucking laughable.
  • That’s a great point on the cat and mouse aspect of the earlier stuff. Everything felt on a knife edge with Kate and Steve often up against people more experienced then themselves with it also feeling like they were still learning the ropes to their roles.

It’s been a great run for the show but the last two series have definitely soured the overall quality a bit. I do think the show could work with Carmichael as the new boss (her interview technique would be excellent telly) but you know they’d spoil it in ep6 or 7 of the next series by having Hastings popping up to please all the fans....

• It has definitely got too big, too complex, too ridiculous.
    There is a big Game of Thrones shadow looming across the whole run imo.

As Ive said with GoT though, its much easier to keep spinning new yarns than it is to tie them all up in a satisfying way.

Edit: Yarns looks like yams on my PC.
  • It’s also echoed in mass effect 2.
  • Spoiler:
  • Done.

I can see why if people had been watching that week on week over a number of years they might be disappointed.
    Watching the lot in quick succession firstly didnt leave room for episodes to stew but also highlighted that it got really quite ridiculous fairly early on then ramped up.

When it is good it is excellent though. Thandiwe Newton in particular. The writing and her acting had me really despising Roz Huntley. The CGed out arm was also good for a BBC drama. BBC CG is normally awful like the closing shot of the final episode with Ted, Kate and Steve in the lift.
  • It's not them in the lift, it's a large LCD TV displaying their faces.
  • It certainly looks that way. Im looking at it now paused and I think it is the perspective.
  • The guardian review pointed out that they ruined Steve and Kate’s relationship which I think is true. They tried to fix it with the pint at the end and the hamfisted counselling session with Kate but it wasn’t great.
    GT: Knight640
  • I thought it was quite believable that they were mates though, mate.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought it was quite believable that they were mates though, mate.

[Harry Enfield Gif]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!