Line of Duty (series 6 starting Sunday 21 March 2021) - discussion and spoilers.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yup what you all said. Underwhelming.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep same view as Kestla. It wasn’t the is he isn’t he. It just wasn’t very good. Perhaps another Covid-19 issue.
  • I think they balanced it fairly well between closing the story off, while also leaving the door slightly open.
  • I'm glad Ted didn't have a stroke at the end. The way he was sort of winking at Carmichael made me start to worry he'd drop to the floor on the way out.
  • It wasn’t great
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fwiw. I’m thinking this all may end badly, teeing it up
    for one final triumphant season. Steve put on gardening leave, Kate getting demoted, the guy in Spain being not really dead, Hastings having to retire. That kinda ending.

I still think this will kinda happen
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Dominique said this represents how the story ended.

YCIXPDo.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep. Got sent a load of memes last night including that one.
  • I liked it myself. Did people think there would be a massive shoot out, the top person would get caught/shot then it's pats on the back all round "well done chaps we're not currupt anymore"?

Sure there could've been more bombastic scenes but I thought it was in line with the rest of the show
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The biggest problem with the last two seasons is that the show started to be written and made for the fans, the chat rooms and the podcasts.  Everything had to have a link back to a previous season or previous character.  
    The early seasons weren’t troubled by this, obviously, but even the mid-seasons kinda only allowed little links to creep in - things that, when you saw them or spotted them, made you feel even more invested in the whole thing.  These last two series have basically felt like massive ARG’s for the REAL FANS and it’s lost its whole soul because of it.  The end started with that shitty chase and Dot lying there, moments from death, clicking away morse code with his one working arm and, once they’d decided to end that great series with that shit, (“By God, he’s using his one useful arm to send us a message about a man called H”) i kinda worried they’d go down the fandom route.  As discussed by Brooks elsewhere, fans of anything can’t be trusted with shit, so to start building your whole show about teasing them, giving them more of what you think they want, listening to people even stupider than me, is just an ever diminishing dead end filled with discarded story arcs, implausible character developments, actors believing the hype and becoming pastiches of their earlier work, and a tangle of shit even you, the inventor of the whole thing, can’t keep a film handle on anymore. 

Saying all that I liked the very very end of the show - it seemed to me to grasp a little of the exaggerated reality that was so good about most of the show.  It left things hanging and unfinished with enough worry and hope there.  The ending may also work as a nice clean down before passing over to some new blood?  Dunbar is loveable but if ever there’s a long term jobbing actor leaning into his characters persona too heavily then i guess, unfortunately, that’s him.  Likewise with Mercurio, who stumbled onto bottled lightening and then followed that spark down so many wonky paths i doubt even he fully understands what he’s written any more.

So yeah, an alright end to a section of the overall show that has felt creatively compromised since it became apparent the head was chomping down on the tail far too fucking fast. Mother Mary of God!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've never seen an episode of it, nor do I plan to, but it was good of The Sun to put the twist on the front page of their paper this morning.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyway there's only one H round here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey has been following this. She was disappointed. Thought it a damp squib and done so that it can have another series.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I quite liked the ‘banality of evil’ route it went down.

I seem to be alone in that, if social media is to be believed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But the banality of evil route was at odds with the rest of the seasons. And ultimately it lacked any kind of dramatic impact. I wasn’t expecting a car chase and a shoot out but even the interview scene was the worst they’ve ever done. Damp squib indeed Davy.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    People want dramatic escapism and who can blame them.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I thought they did as good a job as any. The H think felt like a noose around the show to me towards the end. It kind of feels realistic that Buckles was a the last remaining guy involved in operations rather than an actual mastermind.

I think if it was Osborne it would have been also dissatisfying in a way.

They keep a door open for Carmichael to be good or bad (a mistake imo).

I think this is it for Line of Duty.

I liked the fake out on the prison van and Kate and Arnott getting back together as platonic.

Also I like the tiny bit of rehabilitation they gave to Ryan - he was under the thumb of the OCG rather than necessarily being pure evil for kicks.
  • I like the ending they went for because the online reaction has been glorious. The show lost its way in recent years and an earth shattering wrap up wouldn't have dragged it back to the toppest of tiers for me. Enjoyed the rollercoaster but laughing at other people's grimacing faces afterwards has probably been the best bit. So many people are LIVID about this.
  • It’s also worth remembering that while the H in this series is a low rank there has been the equivalent of Osborne being H in the series when Dryden was one of the four. Like Hastings said - Buckells is the last man standing.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The show lost its way in recent years and 
    Im up to S5 now.

Binging the lot close together I can confirm the show goes fully mental in comparison to the start. S1 is fairly grounded, there are a few bits of S2 that become a bit OTT like throwing someone out the window.

I think the jump the shark moment for me was Dot hanging Will Mellor midway through S3. After that it just goes nutso.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah, didn't want to spoiler all that. Spoilers on desktop don't seem to work properly at all.
  • What kind of shite was that? I glazed over after ten minutes. Pretty much a bunch of gash.
  • Buckles has featured in, IIRC, 3 of the 6 series. He’s always presented as incompetent at his job, so the twist that he was 1 of 4 disparate leaders was a decent one for me. When he was interviewed earlier in s6, I said to my wife that he’s not rotten, but just an idiot. Mercurio did a good job there in my view. I was fooled.

I really don’t know what people wanted from the end? It was either going to be a Big Bang, or a more subtle finale. They went with subtle, because the writer has been trying to say that corruption is isn’t always glamorous or coordinated, and it’s everywhere.

Like I said before, I thought it was very smart.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Because the series has always ramped up tension, presented H as some big name, mastermind, manipulating boss, narrowly evading escape, and ended each season on some big note, we expected something bigger. This was a damp squib ending. My reaction was basically a nonplussed so that's it? They seemed to just throw together some quick way of tying up loose ends too that was all pretty unsatisfying.
  • No-one wanted the last bad guy standing to be Buttons.
  • I think I'll have to go back and watch it again, with the benefit of knowing that Buckles is one of the four, to see if it stacks up after Tommy Hunter, Dot Cotton and ACC Hilton were no longer active. Nevertheless, I like the idea that they actually caught the big bad very early on, but had no idea they had.

The idea that corruption in the Police, either deliberate (e.g. Buckles) or through looking the other way (e.g. Supt. Carmichael and the Chief Constable) was, for me, far more interesting than saying there was a big bad at the top of the tree and AC-12 won they day by taking him/her down. Yes, that would have been a form of pay-off, but we've seen it all a hundred times before.

While I understand what you are saying about building up to a mastermind, if you go back to the first episode, Tony Gates was being investigated for corruption because he was picking and choosing his cases to make his team look good. How is that any different to the Chief Constable ignoring corruption, or closing AC-12 down so corruption doesn't get uncovered, because that embarrasses his leadership?

I think the series came full circle and was all the better for it.
  • Kow wrote:
    Because the series has always ramped up tension, presented H as some big name, mastermind, manipulating boss, narrowly evading escape, and ended each season on some big note, we expected something bigger. This was a damp squib ending. My reaction was basically a nonplussed so that's it? They seemed to just throw together some quick way of tying up loose ends too that was all pretty unsatisfying.

Yeah, what Kow said.

I can appreciate the subtle message of corruption coming in many forms etc, but it just seems out of keeping with the direction of the show. It's gained in popularity with every season, to a point that this one almost became a national event, discussed across many platforms and demographics. To build it up to such an extent and then to seemingly cram things into the last episode just feels anticlimactic.

It's not who H was that I necessarily have an issue with, it's just the way it was revealed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Let's just all agree it was shit.
  • This sounds shit, you lot should just watch The Shield instead.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!