For Honor
  • I think some of this stuff would be easily implemented with a Hardcore mode, no HUD for attacks and one hit kills with a heavy hit, two lights total available health. Issue is, the Beta was already chock full of rage quits from people who were getting flummoxed by something and decrying it broken immediately. Upping the lethality on entry would probably have turned even more people off.

Again I disagree with "lack of imagination in controls". Left stick for feet, right stick for upper body and a three directional swing felt both intuitive and a nice build upon the Ocarina/Souls third person fight mechanics that already exist. You could push it further with increased radial blocking and make the analogue strength play a part as you suggested Scape, but I think you perhaps start to remove pick up and play element of the game (which is already not a real strength, I don't think it really clicked for me until a couple of hours solid play). On top of that, this is very much a game to be played against people, over the internet, you start introducing latency to a stick push that's been broken up in to 8 sections over the existing three and I think it'd start getting messy. 

Anyway,we'll always have T7. NZ to UK fightman netcode a(bound)s...
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That we will.

Its controls are very similar to the Fight Night games', and I've always felt that those were a terrible indulgence to a reality poorly captured, further removing the player from the real-world experience via thumb fudge. Analoging your punches is more realistic insofar as it takes a bit more whirligigging to deal, but if the outcome's bare flail then you're role-playing as some right old shan slugger. Buttons were better, but they outlawed 'em in Fight Night 4. All but Fight Night 2 and Champion were too slow, as well, but that's another problem of many with that series.

And I was gutted, 'cause they had so much potential if they'd only removed their fan-goggles and considered participation as a fighter rather than spectator. The camera needed shifting for a start.

You're gonna see tons of Xpadder-style remapping in the PC version of For Honor. Use triggers for power and you force a uniform scheme that I'd argue (for Fight Nighters also) is superior.

Especially for Fight Night, 'cause that's a trigger per arm with the right stick to aim. Both triggers together to block (whereupon RS controls your torso), or L1/R1 for one-handed catches and parries. Mount the camera over the boxer's rear shoulder. Implement an impact system that hurts more if you walk onto a shot, potentially leading to an unrecoverable KO...

But EA's teams didn't understand what makes boxing tick as a spectacle to the informed.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Whereabouts in NZ are ya? And who's catching your eye in T7 (Lucky Chloe, right)?
  • Wellington, will be out here on and off for the next couple of years (hopefully) for work. As for T7 currently? Flip up between Feng and Alisa I think. See who else gets announced, I'll give everyone a punt though!
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Feng'd probably suit you — he's methodical.
  • 'scape, did you ever play Victorious Boxers: Ippo's Road to Glory?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Its sway mechanic puts the Fight Nights' to shame, and it was a nice-looking game for its time. The Knockout Kings were all pretty hopeless bar their create-a-goons, and the less said about Rocky...

I'm not sure that anything's ever bettered Punch-Out!! for recreating the satisfaction of good boxing, as crazy as that is. For the purity of its dodges and timed counters, and its no-nonsense, see-everything camera view. If not for Mega Man 2 I'd call it the NES' best game.

(I've also big love for Castlevania II, but I know it can't be that.)
  • Eurogamer seem to like it - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-14-for-honor-is-the-best-fighting-game-ive-played-in-ages
    Then there's the mind games. One of the reasons I love fighting games is because they're a platform for getting inside your opponent's head. When it works, you can "train" your opponent to do exactly what you want them to - and react accordingly. For Honor is no different. During the early moments of a duel, test the waters with a few attacks to let your opponent know what you're about. See how they respond. You know they're going to follow up that overhead heavy attack with a guard break attempt; tech the guard break, then chuck them onto some spikes you've positioned yourself near. Done and dusted.
  • You going Bono, Nexx?
  • Yeah I've got it on Xbox as I had some credit.  Might get it on PC too at some point depending on player base.
  • Day 1 patch size?

Nearly picked this up today but I'm not sure I'll be able to dedicate the time to learn it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Exactly my worry. It's a quality game though, if only it came out ten years ago.
  • The Shugoki is a fucking pain to fight against.  He looks like he has the kit to be a really good 1vs1 hero, looking forward to giving him a go this weekend.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    For Stick Fighting Sumos.
  • Yeah I'm really keen to give him a go, Valkyrie as well.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I used Raider, but he's always been my favourite. He should get out of breath if he has to chase anyone. Game needs Xanadu, though.
  • I'm almost tempted to say this game needs the opposite of Xanadu and I think it would have been stronger imo if they tried to keep the types of unit and fighting style more historically accurate.

My fave unit by far of the short few games I played was the warden, purely for the nods to stuff like half handing the sword.

What are the remaining units for ye olde knights and the vikings?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watched a big fat char battering people with a giant club last night. He's your guy, Rouj.
  • Got very tempted again but at over £40 for a game I'll probably barely play... ugh. Really like the look of this but doubt I'll get the value from it.

Hope you all post awesome videos of you pwning people though.
  • Watched a big fat char battering people with a giant club last night. He's your guy, Rouj.

Nah samurai are so fucking dickridden I cant do it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Stop being a cancer and have fun ya big fookin ballbag. It's an avatar in a game ffs. Go smash mans.

Or.so help me I will donger the shit out of your next stream.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

I'm boring enough to agree with Rouj, but as it is, I reckon they might as well go full turnip and add some more comedy. It's their sizbiz tryhard dryness that grates, where utter fantasy's repackaged into supposed realism.

I like Shugoki in his shite-ITV-wrasslin' way, but I take Rouj's criticism over how he's presented. Gut finisher, though; gut finisher...
  • Hope you all post awesome videos of you pwning people though.

I occasionally hit them with my weapon too...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Because I'm listening to it right now, I want @Dubs to make a video of people running away from his fatso to I Ran.
  • Knights have the Lawbringer as their big body. Pole-arm defenso monster who has a throw where he picks the opponent up by the head.

Still loving the Raider, but work has me in a grip at the minute. Will try and capture some game time this weekend.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Thematically, Lawbringers are pure Roujin salt.

Where order has broken down, where cruelty and lawlessness rule, Lawbringers are justice.

Lawbringer? Lawtrigger!
  • Fuck it, I'm buying this today.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!