Nintendo Switch
  • Or you could use the wired ones.
  • @Yoss Fair enough (re pricing). Might be worth investigating some import options then in your case if you were to get one. The price here is basically parity with any other console in all items except the joycon pairs which are about 20% more than a standard bono/cuntpad.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or you could use the wired ones.
    Third party controllers? Do I look like some sort of chav to you?
  • Or you could use the wired ones.
    Perfect for playing Arms on a bus.
  • They're officially licensed, so more like second party.
  • Aren;t they by Hori? They usually do good stuff.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They're officially licensed, so more like second party.

They aren't even listed on the Nintendo site.
  • I bought the new Xbox one controller for £35, so 4 player split screen for £105
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, I went with official prices as I'm sure that prices for Switch accessories will drop a bit after the console is released and these things become available from a few more retailers.
  • They aren't listed on the Hori website either, probably because they haven't been officially announced yet. The info came from a leak.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    You can't milk a cow with a pro controller!

Of course you can, it's an imaginary cow, remember. You'll be telling us you can't play table tennis without the ball or table next.
  • They aren't listed on the Hori website either, probably because they haven't been officially announced yet. The info came from a leak.

GAME have them listed for £28
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Impressed that a company that is crap at home consoles but mega at portables has merged the two concepts and chosen the lowest common denominator for the result - a portable as confusing as the home consoles.

Waggle bollocks again, phone app needed for on-line stuff, paid online with rental of an old game for a month, etc, etc.  Wouldn't surprise me if you can only access the online store via a phone as well.

Really, amazingly, stupid.
  • I think there's going to be more to the one game a month thing - as mentioned previously out of all of them I trust Nintendo the most to do their back catalogue justice.

With the online apps - it all really depends on the integration so I'll wait and see what they're made up of before I pass judgement.

As for the gimmicks - I'm inclined to agree although Sony (gyro / lights / touch bar in the pad) and Microsoft (Kinect / The one box to run your entertainment life) are arguably just as, if not even more guilty of hedging bets on tat.

I don't think, despite what we all dreamed, that they were ever going to rock up with a completely focussed, lean hardcore gaming machine which totally disregards all of the elements that brought them their most successful ever console.
  • The only justice N have ever done with their back catalogue is to re-sell it, over and over again. :-)
  • Just thinking how much they have managed to muddy the waters between the first video last year and the reveal.
    So much of the mud seems to have come from motion controls. It is the reason Joy Cons are so expensive, therefore the reason the unit is just that bit too expensive. It means they have had to design little wrist strap peripherals. The the joy con grip has been value engineered to reduce pack in costs, so now you want a pro joy con.

The little Joy cons weren't necessary. It could have just been a Vita with a dock and a pro controller for at home, but they do add more functionality as well as being unique and attention grabbing.

The motion controls could have been minimal, just an accelerometer in each side.

Yet here we are with the most advanced motion controllers ever and what for? Surely not for 12Switch, that is a tech demo to show off the things, not the type of game you design new hardware for.

Kinect 2 was a flop, most people would have rather had the console cheaper, but at least MS showed why they bundled it in. They had a vision for it, a shit vision, but a vision none the less.

What is Nintendo's vision for Joy con motion control? Because if it is 12Switch there is a big problem there.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Ah, for one of the tiny thumb-destroyers? Yeah, great.

I was being a smudge pedantic. :)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, fair play.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    danclarke wrote:
    I think there's going to be more to the one game a month thing - as mentioned previously out of all of them I trust Nintendo the most to do their back catalogue justice.

I don't know how you've ended up there. What have Nintendo done in the past that beats PS+ and GWG? Every week games are added to the BC list on the Xbone, which you can play free of charge, yet Nintendo want you to pay full price for Splatoon 1.5 and a re-released MK8.

• Doing justice to their back catalog seems to involve not releasing their back catalog.
  • Just thinking how much they have managed to muddy the waters between the first video last year and the reveal.
    So much of the mud seems to have come from motion controls. It is the reason Joy Cons are so expensive, therefore the reason the unit is just that bit too expensive. It means they have had to design little wrist strap peripherals. The the joy con grip has been value engineered to reduce pack in costs, so now you want a pro joy con.

The little Joy cons weren't necessary. It could have just been a Vita with a dock and a pro controller for at home, but they do add more functionality as well as being unique and attention grabbing.

The motion controls could have been minimal, just an accelerometer in each side.

Yet here we are with the most advanced motion controllers ever and what for? Surely not for 12Switch, that is a tech demo to show off the things, not the type of game you design new hardware for.

Kinect 2 was a flop, most people would have rather had the console cheaper, but at least MS showed why they bundled it in. They had a vision for it, a shit vision, but a vision none the less.

What is Nintendo's vision for Joy con motion control? Because if it is 12Switch there is a big problem there.

Yep, it's all the Joy-Cons fault, it really is.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If I was CEO of Nintendo (and let's all thank god for a moment that I'm not), then this console should have been about building the base back up. People like me and every other person that just wants to play Mario and some other Nintendo stuff, on a cheap family friendly device. Find a way back to being competitive on software. Get a working online system.

The problem is they're trying to force that mainstream appeal with an old tired idea. Just wait a few years and bring out a truly accessible and fun VR box, or AR, or some other new jazz that they've come up with. This is just everything they've ever done, all at once, with every bit of the console hobbling some other bit.
  • Personally I think it is about making their software front and centre. Nintendo don't have capacity to support two systems but they can do one really well. Creating A Nintendo system means no need for. 150quid ds and 250 quid wii u.
  • That is the main USP and it is a bloody good one. Nintendo erywhere!!!

The Joy Cons and dock, a little extravagant when a cable and a wireless controller can do the same thing, but hey, why not? A bit of extra engineering and some connectors wouldn't have broken the bank.
    Then they kitchen sinked the whole thing by adding HD rumble. Motion, but not any motion, IR Motion similar to the Kinect. Of course each one Joy Con needs Near Field tech for shitting amiibos as well. Accelerometers because why not.

I can see why each Joy Con is £40-odd, it has more tech in it than both the competitor controllers combined.

Its a £200 console with the world's most elaborate controllers thrust upon you.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But that's when they pull the rug next year with a 10gflop dock with built in 4K VR launching with Metroid Prime VR.

*wakes up*
  • Nintendo stealing emulator code and rom dumps and porting it to their vc platform.
    Next they'll be claiming the code was theirs to use anyways as it is their ip end the emu guys were stealing it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Looks like more eshop stuff ahoy for launch -

1001 Spikes and Cave Story coming
  • Yossarian wrote:

It's certainly a mindbending moral and business conundrum.
  • Its alright, they still have an original nes cart of it somewhere. Internet law says they can download the rom.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!