Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's wrong with a wireless earpiece again?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    It will have no legs.
    It's got Arms instead.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    You get one in the box which holds the joy cons. The bundled one doesn't have a USB pass through so it's literally a shell.

Same as with the console ?

Now I'm doubting what I think you meant.

With the console you get a grip to hold two joycons.

What this particular grip doesn't do is allow you to charge the joycons. It's only plastic material.

What you can buy separately is a similar grip (for holding the joycon) but with electronics to allow charging away from the dock.

Now. Also in the box are two little wrist strap things which make the joycons a little bigger (better grip) when using the joycon individually in multiplayer.
  • I think if you look at switch it's about taking games outside or inside. It's not incompetent for doing job #1 (not ever tried before) really well if compromises are made on relatively peripheral problems.
    It all depends. Doing job 1 really well means getting a lot of the smaller jobs right. If taking it out of the dock turns into a nightmare of plugs and phones and cables just to get a game of splatoon going then what's the point of the thing?

It's premature to assume that though. They might have some clever stuff that makes it less of a hassle than it seems. But it seems like they've bodged online for everyone, every time they use it, to handle the less frequent times someone's trying to get this going at a party or on the bus.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    its not portable only though. There's a situation where you don't know where any part of the console is Apart from the joycon (unless they are being charged and pro controller is being used) but then (as Cinty remarks) how does a wired headset work with ARMS?

Best of luck to you if you're planning on playing a motion control game with a headset on!
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    All joking aside, I'd really like to understand what the exact use case Nintendo used when developing the voice chat system.

Perhaps as others have mentioned, the fact the VC is handed off to a secondary device may not be down to a specific use case but rather a necessity due to under-powered hardware.
  • Having to choose between the game soundtrack and voice comms is a disconnect.

Yar, a massive one, so one has to imagine they've got some kind of solution, surely! Maybe they'll stream audio to the smart device? But that'll be another battery fuck.

It really is dumb. They should have gone straight with a wireless headset the moment they knew they wouldn't be able to get a jack in the joycons due to motion control.

BT earbuds would work fine for joy con motion sessions. Nintendo screwed up and is a bit too paternal and overprotective here.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I take it I'm the only person in the world whose earphone cables are longer than my arms...
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Lady Roberts was not pleased with my new setup:

tangled-mess.jpg
  • I want to see someone try and play Arms online on a bus.
  • Bus Party!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    You get one in the box which holds the joy cons. The bundled one doesn't have a USB pass through so it's literally a shell.

What this particular grip doesn't do is allow you to charge the joycons. It's only plastic material.

What you can buy separately is a similar grip (for holding the joycon) but with electronics to allow charging away from the dock.

Now. Also in the box are two little wrist strap things which make the joycons a little bigger (better grip) when using the joycon individually in multiplayer.

I understand having to buy the charging grip but the new boxed ( bought together )joy cons at £75 you don't get a grip and you have to buy another grip separately ?

Which is fucking shocking if that's the case , over £100 for a new joy con controller
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • monkey wrote:
    I want to see someone try and play Arms online on a bus.

I want to know why police officers are allowed to have short arms.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:

I understand having to buy the charging grip but the new boxed ( bought together )joy cons at £75 you don't get a grip and you have to buy another grip separately ?

Which is fucking shocking if that's the case , over £100 for a new joy con controller

Ah I had the wrong box in mind.

You are correct the joycon box doesn't come with a grip.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    I want to see someone try and play Arms online on a bus.
    I want to know why police officers are allowed to have short arms.
    So much for the long arm of the law.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:

Speak to Microsoft who don't mind charging that for a "techie" controller
    Spoiler:
  • MS controllers start at £45.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Speak to Microsoft who don't mind charging that for a "techie" controller
    Spoiler:

It is, and I haven't, but if you think it'll be replaced in my mind by a controller which doesn't have a d-pad, you're cray-cray.

But also, as Monkey says, spending that much is entirely optional even if you do want to access same-room multiplayer across all the titles.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So do Switch ones what?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    So do Switch ones what?

Start at 45.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    So do Switch ones what?

Start at 45.
    Yes.
  • £65 for a pro controller isn't it? 

That won't work for all games.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, for one of the tiny thumb-destroyers? Yeah, great.
  • Yossarian wrote:

No, for the pro controller which is more like a traditional dual analog.

(I'm using Aussie dollar conversions here which may differ to your local RRP)
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • monkey wrote:
    £65 for a pro controller isn't it? 

That won't work for all games.

Think it will.

ARMS is playable with non motion controls, seems they're optional at least this time around.

That also means the wired £28 Pro Controller will do the job nicely.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You can't milk a cow with a pro controller!
  • I dunno if that's true, I've never tried it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

No, for the pro controller which is more like a traditional dual analog.

(I'm using Aussie dollar conversions here which may differ to your local RRP)
    It does. Nintendo's site has pro controllers going for £60. Two of them are essential if you want to play same room Street Fighter, so that's £120.

A spare pair of joy cons is £70, and as you can only charge a pair on the console itself, you'l probably need the charging grip at £25, so that's another £95.

£215 then to cover same room multiplayer as long as you don't want to play four player on anything that requires a d-pad, or on anything that requires two joy cons per person.

Mental.

By comparison, the Microsoft store has Xbox One controllers at £50 per pop, so full same room four player on Bone with no restrictions at all: £150.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

You have the fingers of an Aye-Aye...

How the fuck are you bringing up this subject!!?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!