Nintendo Switch
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The 3ds one is n3ds exclusive. The second one!!!(in a box)

Wait - are you talking Warriors or the Gaiden remake?

Warriors
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4 games in total -

Fire Emblem Echoes - full remake of Gaiden (looks like classic FE crossed with Dragon Quest now)
    Fire Emblem switch
    Fire Emblem Warriors - coming Autumn 2017 for Switch and 3DS
    Fire Emblem Heroes for Mobile coming Feb on Android and later on Apple.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    What have I missed on this stream btw?
    FE Gaiden remake for 3ds. FE Switch 2018 FE warriors on switch and New 3DS
    Full remake of Gaiden? A proper Switch FE (not Warriors)?  Google results are just giving me links to dead streams and I want to go to bed, hence the lazy questions, sorry.

Yeah, full mint-looking Gaiden remake.

Details were scarce on FE Switch but the implication was full fat Switch exclusive.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    The 3ds one is n3ds exclusive. The second one!!!(in a box)

Wait - are you talking Warriors or the Gaiden remake?

Warriors

That'll be because Hyrule warriors was barely functional on standard 3DS
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Warriors now also confirmed for 2017 on Switch, so I guess that's another game for this year
  • They're milking that cow. Remember when awakening was going to be the last one then it sold shit loads? Anyway I love Fire Emblem and that turned out pretty good.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yes to both moot.

Then I go to bed a happy man.  Fire Emblem Switch eh?  That's two of the top three on my Switch wishlist crossed off already (3D Mario, Punch-Out, Fire Emblem).  If I end up liking what they do with Zelda they're treating me well.
  • Yeah it was a de facto exclusive on n3ds. But also the spec bump on switch I guess requires a better thing to port to.

I liked hurdle warriors 3ds but this fire emblem one looks identical.
  • Hurdle Warriors: next new IP.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Hurdle Warriors?! That's not autocorrect's work?
  • I think crayon meant hyrule warriors, which I can confirm does autocorrect to hurdle.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Boo! We want Hurdle Warriors!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Switch totally isn't a cash grab
    The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

Gotta have the app for pretty much all of online lads yay.
  • I have no idea what Fire Emblem is.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shitey tactical RPG, g.
  • This phone app business can fuck off. It seems like it's needed for online?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    This phone app business can fuck off. It seems like it's needed for online?

The only saviour is if its for when out and about only. If not, eehh.
  • Vela wrote:
    Assuming you mean the Switch online service not the FE mobile game.

Yup, although Nintendo havent really released proper, conclusive details on it, as is their way.
  • Vela wrote:

I'd be shocked if you couldn't drop in with randos without the app (though the matchmaking part of that post means that could actually be the case) but yeah - it's almost certainly required if you wanna play and chat with mates. Ridiculous.
  • It sounds laughable.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We might be surmising the worst-case scenario, and it's actually a ‘streamliner’. So without the app, you can play randoms and/or send invites to friends that you can see online. With it, you can open a lobby that's visible for your friends to join, with voicechat garden-walled here because Nintendo want to blame the user for any abuse.

The two arguments against that are strong: the Switch has a headphone jack, so it could happily support voicechat natively; and just because the rest of your service matches OG PSN (if indeed it does), PSN moved past that stage years ago.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What if ya don't have a smartphone? Just blessed with randoms for the console's life?

I know you can grab one cheap these days but people choose not to have one, I only 'converted' about 3 years back.
  • The big issue with voice chat is game audio. Either pick one or the other? Or have one earbud for game and another for chat?
    On the go you will also need to juggle devices in your lap.

If MS came up with this I would give them the benefit of the doubt, then wait and see.

Nintendo have a history of fucking up online play, they just dont get it and by this point it is clear they are too egotistical to look for help elsewhere.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    What if ya don't have a smartphone? Just blessed with randoms for the console's life?

I know you can grab one cheap these days but people choose not to have one, I only 'converted' about 3 years back.

I converted last week, brother.

I reckon you'll be able to invite friends the way we used to on PSN: by going through your list and firing off invites to everyone that's active. Switch lobbies are gonna be like PSN chatrooms (game-linked?) with voicechat on top (or for Xboxers, a party), so it's up to each game to supply their own lobbies for those without this app.

But no voicechat's a crime. All they had to do was reverse its operation and force the user to manually enable comms to other players. Enable rather than mute.

And you're right, Liv: ‘bulky, gamer headset’ chat when you'll need a monobud for your phone, and then — if you don't want audio from the handheld — a headset for the game audio over the top! I suppose their defence is that you won't mind audio from the handheld if you're willing to gamechat in public.

But at home, it's stupid that you can't use its headphones jack for a headset. Or a Bluetooth headset when it's docked. Sennheiser and others (I've the Sony Vita ones — £5!) make earbuds with attached mics, so this bulky business holds no water. There are tons of headsets of this type for phones! So they're telling us to use phone solutions because they're not bulky, that have 3.5mm jacks.
  • Escape wrote:
    . But no voicechat's a crime. All they had to do was reverse its operation and force the user to manually enable comms to other players. Enable rather than mute.

Exactly this. They could tie it into the adult supervision app they have if they really felt the need to. Yeah it would be annoying downloading that app just to switch voice chat to open but it would be done in 10 minutes.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    They don't even need an app, just a PG function in the OS. Let parents tick an option to enable voicechat for no-one, everyone, or friends. The second step for the latter two would be ‘automatically’ or ‘by request’.

Office.jpg

[edit]

Here's a thing: I've been putting its bezel down to its tablet functionality, but it doesn't sound like it's getting any: http://uk.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-preview-2017-1

The Switch isn't going to replace your iPad — it's a dedicated gaming machine to the point where it won't have many multimedia functions at launch, Nintendo's Kit Ellis told me. Don't plan to watch Netflix on the Switch, for instance.

Switch_Tab.png
  • The botched voice chat is due to Nintendo's (irrational?) fear of paedos potentally abusing the feature to chat up young ones. Could potentialy taint the brand's rep with families, all that's needed is 1 scandal and people sueing ninty all out.

Of course Nintendo could implement native voice chat on the switch! They're not doing it because it's their way of protecting the little ones from 'strangers' on the net and give parents more granular control over what kids are doing online and how much time they spend on doing it. Yes, implentation is shit. Wouldn't surprise me if it gets merged into the Switch os in future updates.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    The botched voice chat is due to Nintendo's (irrational?) fear of paedos potentally abusing the feature to chat up young ones. Could potentialy taint the brand's rep with families, all that's needed is 1 scandal and people sueing ninty all out.

Of course Nintendo could implement native voice chat on the switch. They're not doing it because it's their way of protecting the little ones from 'strangers' on the net and give parents more control over what kids are doing.

Doubt it - how does using an official Nintendo app to have paedo chat differ from using the switch directly? I'd put money on that not being the reason.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd put it down to tech or battery life issues, but definitely not them being overprotective.
  • It's definitely a factor tho'. Wii, 3ds and WiiU show the same ambivalent attitude towards online chat and play. Not a coincedence imo. Other factor could indeed be battery life.

Speculation: Nintendo's reasons for the mandatory external app could be:
    1. Forcing parents to become familiar with parental Switch settings for online play and communications.
    2. Only 'older' kids have access to smartphones and are therefore cleared for voicechat if parents allow it.

Yeah, it's convoluted and certainly not how voicechat should be implemented. Nintendo is perhaps a bit too overprotective here which impacts user experience negatively. Not a good thing.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!