Nintendo Switch
  • hunk wrote:
    The botched voice chat is due to Nintendo's (irrational?) fear of paedos potentally abusing the feature to chat up young ones. Could potentialy taint the brand's rep with families, all that's needed is 1 scandal and people sueing ninty all out.

Of course Nintendo could implement native voice chat on the switch. They're not doing it because it's their way of protecting the little ones from 'strangers' on the net and give parents more control over what kids are doing.

Doubt it - how does using an official Nintendo app to have paedo chat differ from using the switch directly? I'd put money on that not being the reason.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd put it down to tech or battery life issues, but definitely not them being overprotective.

There was an explanation by Reggie which also suggested they wanted you to play wifi multiplayer at outdoor hot sports. The app will push when you can play I guess and who is online then and there.

The other reason I would guess is that I'm not sure they wanted to put a chat solution in the controllers.
  • There was an explanation by Reggie which also suggested they wanted you to play wifi multiplayer at outdoor hot sports. The app will push when you can play I guess and who is online then and there.

The other reason I would guess is that I'm not sure they wanted to put a chat solution in the controllers.

Could easily be implemented on the switch as well. Why would you need to run an external smartphone app when you've got a very capable tablet?

Bulky headsets? All you need for voicechat are android like stereo earbuds with a mic.....

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I have no idea what Fire Emblem is.

From Intelligent Systems, guys what done Advance Wars, it's a turn based, map based game with base building - pretty much like an X Com. Shares a lot of DNA in common with X Com like permadeath. There's also other trappings around it like developing relationships by putting characters next to each other in battle.

Had a big comeback (started on famicom) in 2013 with Awakenings on the 3DS which got near universal praise and is considered one of the best games on the system. Became massively popular in the west for the first time (it was the first one I played) and physical copies were nigh impossible to find. Fates came out last year, and done good too.
  • What if ya don't have a smartphone? Just blessed with randoms for the console's life?

Hello.

So this is now potentially a thing that requires a phone app to play with friends online, rather than purely to chat with them whilst playing? I was planning on not chatting on the rare occasions I play online, but if I need to upgrade my mobile to get into private lobbies the costs are becoming prohibitive. I suppose I could use the wife's phone for those rare occasions, but coupled with the joycon charging thing the workarounds are stacking up.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Phone app is for chatting, managing friends list and arranging gaming sessions apparently
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Mario Clusterfuck.

SFV - reddave360
  • Unless I could arrange a gaming session by posting on here about it too? Do we know what they mean by managing/arranging? Would still be clusterfuck mind, but grin-and-bearable rather than full toys out pram.
  • FE overload, happy days even tho my playing time on Fates has been very sporadic(3 games is a hella of lot to get through)& has not quite gripped me like Awakening did, it's still strategy gold when I get a few hours to chip away at it.

Not to sold on the Dyna Warriors version, those games have never really appealed to me. Did enjoy playing Hyrule Warriors tho with my eldest on the U, but that was more down to it probably being Zelda & its vast range of different style of characters/items/weapons etc. Might take a punt tho as Tokyo Mirage has surprised me as I've tried and failed to get into a few SMT/Persona games over the years but the FE vibe has kept my interest even with its music slant(last rpg with a music vibe, Eternal Sonata, got me also) & I'm throughly enjoying it at the mo. So who knows, might take a punt on a hack n slash FE if it's got enough range & depth.

The moby game is day one without a doubt.

Feel they didn't even need to mention the Switch version, glad it's coming, but without any info/concept art or even a name, it's hard to get hyped, tbh I was left with the same feeling when Suda took the stage with a Mr Touchdown in the background, just feels a little flat(& a smidge desperate in a weird sorta of way) with nothing more that a proposed release date, which I'm sure will slip.

All in all, a solid Direct & it's odd(& great) to see FE finally get promoted into Nintys tier 1/premiership IP, when a while back, it was on its knees & was almost lodging with Doshin.

FYI the FE level up soundbite is one of my favourite gaming soundbites ever & I have more love for the FE theme music than Zelda.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It's does seem to be about child safety. However I don't think Nintendo understand, at least in the west, the fact that kids typically have phones and, until a massive bill appears, parents don't have a clue what their children are downloading or who they are talking to on those phones. Just another sign Nintendo don't have a clue with online.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's also a parental controls app btw so you can set a timer on how long each day of the week a kid plays, and shut it down remotely too.
  • ...& I wrote a long time ago back on page 1...
    cindemon wrote:
    Also hope they truly embrace online this time with all the bells & whistles that should be included as standard, yet I fear they may not, as they are to "protect the kiddies" focused.  The least they can do this time is at least give owners the options in parental controls.

Oh Nintendo, what are you playing at? You just had to copy what your competitors have been doing the last decade etc, you didn't need to "Nintendo" such a simple thang.

• cindemon wrote:
    Feel they didn't even need to mention the Switch version, glad it's coming, but without any info/concept art or even a name, it's hard to get hyped, tbh I was left with the same feeling when Suda took the stage with a Mr Touchdown in the background, just feels a little flat(& a smidge desperate in a weird sorta of way) with nothing more that a proposed release date, which I'm sure will slip.

I'm glad they announced it, but if they're willing to merely tantalise fans to drum up interest they probably should've done the same with Pokemon at the main reveal.
  • Whilst I'm on a slight Ninty headshake, if Sakori doesn't flex some muscle in regards to controller methods for the Switch Smash, I'm probably not gonna update. Same goes for Mazza Kart. Me & the kids still play both regularly, but it's gonna be a while before I got the dolla to spunk on 3/4 new Switch 'teef price' pads to play the updated versions, which is a damn shame as that MK battlemode looks the business. Plus, the godamn feather & ghost are back.

C'mon Nintendo, for the U remasters, please for the love of God, at least allow the WiiU pro pad to get some action. *crosses everthing*
  • Aye moot, if they are wetting appetites, Pokemon(Stars maybe) would do more than any other IP in regards to generating fever/hype trains.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    cindemon wrote:

I'm glad they announced it, but if they're willing to merely tantalise fans to drum up interest they probably should've done the same with Pokemon at the main reveal.

I have a suspicion this will be the start of a drip feed of directs in the next few weeks to try to drum up constant buzz.

Pokemon one, Smash one, eshop one (NOTHING on that mentioned yet) and so on.
  • It might not even be called eshop!
  • I really hope it goes that way Reg. TBH, that is the way to play it & I'm sure it will go that way. I pray it is that way, as there has to be more around the corner to at least in some way to justify the U drought.

If there is not a drip feed of new games over the next few weeks/months & E3 is all what we know already 'cept a few new shouts outs I may find a a dark corner to slump & rock in.
  • cindemon wrote:
    ...& I wrote a long time ago back on page 1...
    cindemon wrote:
    Also hope they truly embrace online this time with all the bells & whistles that should be included as standard, yet I fear they may not, as they are to "protect the kiddies" focused.  The least they can do this time is at least give owners the options in parental controls.

Oh Nintendo, what are you playing at? You just had to copy what your competitors have been doing the last decade etc, you didn't need to "Nintendo" such a simple thang.

See the issue here is what is there to copy paste which will work across the handheld mode, the docked mode and potential outside wifi mode?

I don't think it's easy to transplant psn (hacks ahoy) onto a framework that is handheld and a console. There are probably engineering concerns too (battery, ram) which are probably smarter to offload in order to maximise console quality stuff in handheld mode.
  • If anything, the smartphone thing makes sense from a joycon perspective.

They're not offering the charge grip out the box, so they won't put a port there, so it'd have to be on the joycon itself. But what if you're playing a motion game? You can't have headphones attached to a controller that is being flung about. The base unit at that point would be too far away, so they only have 2 choices.

1. Wireless headset
    2. Attach headphones to some other device players will have nearby.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    cindemon wrote:
    ...& I wrote a long time ago back on page 1...
    cindemon wrote:
    See the issue here is what is there to copy paste which will work across the handheld mode, the docked mode and potential outside wifi mode? I don't think it's easy to transplant psn (hacks ahoy) onto a framework that is handheld and a console. There are probably engineering concerns too (battery, ram) which are probably smarter to offload in order to maximise console quality stuff in handheld mode.

The Vita has fantastic integration with PSN.  

I'd go as far to say that when it launched, it had better integration with PSN than the 360/PS3 had with Live/PSN.

If Sony managed it years ago, surely Nintendo could manage it now?

The very idea of having to have my mobile close to hand with a set of headphones to play/speak in MP games is a bad joke.  I can see Lady Roberts already looking at me with the "man he's such a stupid geek" look as i struggle to get a earphone from my mobile in one ear and another earphone from the Switch in another.

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!
  • its not portable only though. There's a situation where you don't know where any part of the console is Apart from the joycon (unless they are being charged and pro controller is being used) but then (as Cinty remarks) how does a wired headset work with ARMS?
  • Nintendo Smartphone thing doesn't seem to be about paedo protection. If anything it might make it more susceptible as now the paedo doesn't need an expensive console to start a grooming session, just a few clicks on his phone.

The only excuse to me that justifies this farce is that putting it through the console becomes equally awkward if you've got it propped up on a table with two players using it, or whatever other crazy use cases there are. But this just makes it a faff for everyone everytime they go online.

It's just incompetence innit? No one designs a complicated system if they've got the skill to make it simple.
  • monkey wrote:
    Nintendo Smartphone thing doesn't seem to be about paedo protection. If anything it might make it more susceptible as now the paedo doesn't need an expensive console to start a grooming session, just a few clicks on his phone.

The only excuse to me that justifies this farce is that putting it through the console becomes equally awkward if you've got it propped up on a table with two players using it, or whatever other crazy use cases there are. But this just makes it a faff for everyone everytime they go online.

It's just incompetence innit? No one designs a complicated system if they've got the skill to make it simple.

Monkey knows.
    Paedo stuff is non-issue.
    It's all about usage scenarios.
  • I think if you look at switch it's about taking games outside or inside. It's not incompetent for doing job #1 (not ever tried before) really well if compromises are made on relatively peripheral problems.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Having to choose between the game soundtrack and voice comms is a disconnect.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Having to choose between the game soundtrack and voice comms is a disconnect.

Yar, a massive one, so one has to imagine they've got some kind of solution, surely! Maybe they'll stream audio to the smart device? But that'll be another battery fuck.

It really is dumb. They should have gone straight with a wireless headset the moment they knew they wouldn't be able to get a jack in the joycons due to motion control.
  • This has probably been mentioned but if you bought the joy cons , do you get the cradle / grip thing with it or have to buy it separately?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • You get one in the box which holds the joy cons. The bundled one doesn't have a USB pass through so it's literally a shell.
  • You get one in the box which holds the joy cons. The bundled one doesn't have a USB pass through so it's literally a shell.

Same as with the console ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!