• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bumping a thread from 2015.
  • Makes sense. Firstly, K&M or controller?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • For inputs, whatever you prefer. Either is as good a feeling version of that input as in any FPS game out there.

The removal of content is something that still rubs me raw. The vanilla campaign, Cusre of Osiris and Warmind, and the Forsaken campaign are all gone - as are the Titan, Io, Mercury, Tangled Shore, and Hellas Basin patrol zones. 

The current campaigns are:
    Shadowkeep - not great but the reprised Moon is very cool.
    Beyond Light - average in all regards.
    The Witch Queen - very good campaign and decent patrol zone.
    Lightfall - decent shooting and QoL updates but fucking lol at that shitshow of a story and lame patrol zone.  

There's also a 7th Anniversary pack you can buy that should have been free that gives you access to a very fun dungeon and some other stuff.

Besides all the campaigns and the old core activities, the gameplay bread and butter is the seasonal stuff. Four times a year you get new story beats and an activity or two plus a bunch of weapons to grind for. The seasons now stick around 'til the next expansion drops so you don't have to worry too much about missing stuff as long as you're semi-regular.

Then you've got the dungeons, raids, and secret exotic missions. These are legit great and despite all the shit Bungie pull, I maintain that if you simply distilled the entire game down to just the dungeons it'd still be the best FPS ever. 

It's a hard game to recommend getting back into and it's a perfect example of wasted potential, BUT... there really is nothing that fills the same hole, and what it does well it does very well indeed. The gunplay and movement, the art direction, the fucking music, the lore, all are absolutely top tier.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Then you've got the dungeons, raids, and secret exotic missions. These are legit great and despite all the shit Bungie pull, I maintain that if you simply distilled the entire game down to just the dungeons it'd still be the best FPS ever.

This is the crux of what I loved and why Forsaken era was the Golden era imo.

• Right, I'll just plug away until I get the hang of the perplexing systems. The gunplay is terrific and it looks amazing in 4K on a big telly. The framerate never skips a beat.
  • I really like what I played of the D, but the various numberwang became too much to keep track of.

.... He says, while in the middle of a severe case of Diablo addiction.
  • Stormy will be much better placed to comment on the end game and dungeon stuff, but I'd just say that there's a number of activities, even below raid/dungeon that are excellent.

If you're not down with pvp, find a few game types you dig and they're generally pretty repayable.

Strikes still have some gold even though there's a lot of repetition and there's some outright duds in between the good uns.

Defiant battlegrounds are very cool imo. Nice 3 player with randoms with enough going on that you have to pay attention.

If you're actually partying up and such, I can only imagine the raids and dungeons are mint these days.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Always happy to jump in for a dungeon or just some regular activities if I'm about.

Most of the dungeons can be blasted through in an hour with a trio, or even two-manned without many issues. The two newest dungeons do have silly boss health though and are probably best tackled in a full fireteam.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I got shit for wanting a game to be better. Damn 2015 was a vibe.

I fired it up earlier in the year and yeah, it did feel quite overwhelmingly new.
  • I found the Discovery tab today which helps a lot to find some path through the madness. Clear goals to get up to speed.
  • Destiny 2 is in the best overall shape it's ever been in, but anyone starting new/restarting from ages ago is going to have to accept that the near total lack of onboarding is part of the fun. Bungie are the ARG promo guys, right?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I fired it up earlier in the year and yeah, it did feel quite overwhelmingly new.

You got shit for having a shitty attitude towards DJR
  • Taking away so many toys is a bit of a disappointment. I know the SP campaigns aren't really the point but it'd be a nice way to experience the overall plot given the amount of fucking lore. Still, it is SO pretty and the shooting and collection stuff is really solid. 

They've done the custom combat stuff really well and I can see why people keep going. Some of the stat boosts from armour and mods are subtle and it's going to take a while to get to know my own character to really differentiate how one little stat/mod from another will suit my style, whatever that turns out to be. I get it though. 

At the mo it's just higher numbers yes please, but I'd imagine if you're so familiar with your own setup then little changes are noticable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Taking away so many toys is a bit of a disappointment. I know the SP campaigns aren't really the point but it'd be a nice way to experience the overall plot given the amount of fucking lore. Still, it is SO pretty and the shooting and collection stuff is really solid. 

They've done the custom combat stuff really well and I can see why people keep going. Some of the stat boosts from armour and mods are subtle and it's going to take a while to get to know my own character to really differentiate how one little stat/mod from another will suit my style, whatever that turns out to be. I get it though. 

At the mo it's just higher numbers yes please, but I'd imagine if you're so familiar with your own setup then little changes are noticable.

It looks great in my PC, but you're right, it's numbers town now
  • At the mo it's just higher numbers yes please, but I'd imagine if you're so familiar with your own setup then little changes are noticable.

Yup. For long time players the numbers thing isn't really an issue apart from the first few weeks of an expansion, and with no power level increase for the rest of this expansion you'll hit cap soon enough. At least as far as power/light levels go.  

For weapon numbers, it's the same kinda deal as it ever was but with a few more abilities that affect weapon damage in various ways. The real fun lies in builds, and the synergies that now exist between abilities and weapon perks is nothing short of glorious.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Always happy to help if you need it. As @elmlea will attest, just jumping in with someone and rattling off questions as you play is the best way to reacclimatise.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Added to that, being part of an active clan (and Discord) will give you benefits for very little effort. I have recently set up a new one of both to help out with sherpaing at the very heart of our ethos.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/726062#Comment_726062

Just been back through it. Condescending bullshit from the off. The problem with Destiny and the lay man, dear me. Getting upset that people were enjoying the gameplay and couldn't give a fuck about whatever lore was on an app but missing from the game. "If you don't understand it then I can't help you" as if anyone asked for, wanted or needed your "help". Such an arrogant assumption.

I get that you were pissed at the time, but since you're still trying to rewrite history and play the victim to this day, I need to clear it up. I told you to fuck off because your attitude was shitty, not because you you were "wanting a game to be better" as you've claimed. Reading it back, it looks like you had more of a problem with people enjoying the game for what it was than any interest in making it better. Not that you or anyone else in the thread were in a position to to make it better anyway. Bizarre stuff.

Even moreso as you went on to enjoy the game yourself without them making any changes to how the lore was handled anyway
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Needless hostility aside, drop me a f/r in-game @SpaceGazelle if you need help. I’m Olimite#5584

See you out there hopefully!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Needless hostility? He's telling pork pies about a situation that happened years ago, I'm setting the record straight
  • Olimite wrote:
    Needless hostility aside, drop me a f/r in-game @SpaceGazelle if you need help. I’m Olimite#5584 See you out there hopefully!

Will do. Also, what's the deal with common, legendary etc gear if it seems to make no difference to the stats. I get you can dismantle legendary gear to get legendary shards that do stuff but is there anything else?
  • Legendary weapons have the best stats and perks, legendary armour can roll with higher stats, has more mod slots, and can be levelled up.
  • Cool. Thanks.
  • I know it's nothing new, but if you have the funds it's well worth checking the Gunsmith every daily reset for legendary weapons, and Xur sometimes has decent legendary armour for sale (you can't go wrong with anything with 60+ stats, and spikes in resilience, recovery, and discipline). I still come across weapons worth picking up every week or two from these guys. 

Xur is sitting in his tree in Watcher's Grave, Nessus, 'til weekly reset.
  • Considering trying Destiny 2 again BUT it looks like I’d need to buy Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and Lightfall? Need I buy all 3? Or would it be worth doing so? Says I own the Witch Queen…must be the last time I tried it.
  • I'll go and see him. I'm liking the Journey tab a lot. It sort of forces you to learn the systems and read all the stuff in the menus. Like early on you get a new subclass and you've got to use jolt to complete a quest. I don't know what jolt is and presume it's all the lightening attacks but the jolt progress is still at 0. So you have to read all the menus in the subclass bit and find out if you dodge and then melee it'll also do a jolt buff. 

It just gets you having to learn stuff you've never heard of before and it improves the combat no end.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Considering trying Destiny 2 again BUT it looks like I’d need to buy Shadowkeep, Beyond Light and Lightfall? Need I buy all 3? Or would it be worth doing so? Says I own the Witch Queen…must be the last time I tried it.

You don't need them but you'll come across gear and quests that require them. You can always do other stuff until you get hooked.
  • Also it lets you play some of the Lightfall campaign anyway.
  • You can play the first mission of each iirc.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!