20 Years of Playstation
  • At least 3 times.

FYI, not snarky.

Should give some love to street fighter ex too. It got a hammering at one of the share houses our crew was in. Arcade sticks of course. I was rubbish, but there was some great evenings of action.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ali wrote:
    Didn't go on sale in the UK until March 16th 1996.

Nah, it was '97 when the N64 came out over here.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Slash at Wembley arena.

How is that even possible in this day and age?
  • Kow wrote:
    Slash at Wembley arena.

How is that even possible in this day and age?

I was surprised myself tbh, I saw him in Velvet Revolver about 4/5 years back in the much smaller Brixton Academy. Didn't expect a bigger venue for his relatively new solo band.
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Ali wrote:
    Didn't go on sale in the UK until March 16th 1996.

Nah, it was '97 when the N64 came out over here.

Yeah, 1st March. Japan was 23rd June with NA 29th September of 96.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tempy wrote:
    @davyK genuinely curious - how was R-Types 'proper r-type at home' as opposed to the Amiga releases, which were amazing?
    I had the Atari ST version briefly and for some reason they'd made changes to some of the level layouts, proportions and enemy positions. Even though that's quite a small thing, it made a difference and it wasn't as good. I assume the Amiga version would've been the same.

The attention to detail was often lacking in home computer conversions back then.

Of course, there was the PC Engine version before that, which was a perfect reproduction as far as I could tell.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have never owned a PlayStation, and would certainly argue with the assertion in the OP that the original PS is the 'godfather of modern gaming' but despite all this, I still believe Point Blank deserves a mention, so I'm mentioning it now.
  • JonB wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    @davyK genuinely curious - how was R-Types 'proper r-type at home' as opposed to the Amiga releases, which were amazing?
    I had the Atari ST version briefly and for some reason they'd made changes to some of the level layouts, proportions and enemy positions. Even though that's quite a small thing, it made a difference and it wasn't as good. I assume the Amiga version would've been the same. The attention to detail was often lacking in home computer conversions back then. Of course, there was the PC Engine version before that, which was a perfect reproduction as far as I could tell.

Aha, fair enough. Screenshots show that it was a fair difference. Apparently the Amiga version was just a port of the Atari ST version. I might be getting my visual memory muddled because R-Type 2 was a significant upgrade I believe - internet seems to collaborate on that.
  • My Ps1 had to be turned upside down too.

Who played pirated games on theirs?

It was easy, Put bluetac in the place where the lid closed down into the PlayStation. Because the lid was open you could change discs, but you had to wait before the ps logo flashed up before you put your copy in.

Day one I got Wipeout and Ridge Racerrrrrrrr and fucking loved them . The demo disc had a T Rex and Stingray demo I think. At the time it was great buying the official mags for the demo discs.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    It was easy, Put bluetac in the place where the lid closed down into the PlayStation. Because the lid was open you could change discs, but you had to wait before the ps logo flashed up before you put your copy in.

I got my PSone for free buy attempting to do this with a friend. When we quickly yanked the official disc out, the little circular holder with the 3 ball bearings on to hold the disc in place came flying out with it.

My mate had it on HP from a catalogue and got a replacement delivered for free... and they didn't take the broken one back. I asked if I could try and fix it and have it if I was successful.

5 minutes later after the use of some super glue I was in camp PS.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I had the Atari ST version briefly and for some reason they'd made changes to some of the level layouts, proportions and enemy positions. Even though that's quite a small thing, it made a difference and it wasn't as good. I assume the Amiga version would've been the same. The attention to detail was often lacking in home computer conversions back then. Of course, there was the PC Engine version before that, which was a perfect reproduction as far as I could tell.

The PC Engine version graphics are different. Pleasing - but different. Plus it was split over two HuCards which is a bit crap.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Playstation boot screen is still my favourite of all consoles.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yup, it was excellent. Sends shivers down my spine even now.

• A couple of people mentioned it already, but Mr Domino was amazing. What a game.

Honourable mentions to WipEout, Micro Machines, the Puzzle Bobble series, Tekken, and Soul Edge/Soul Blade. Ye olde PlayStation really did make multiplayer ‘winner stays on’ gaming worthwhile.
  • The original PS3 bootup is still the best. You'll see when the dust settles.

Loads of things were happening in the 90s to make gaming what it is now but the PS1 took gaming into mainstream yoof culture like the Wii took it to the rest of the family.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Some stuff I captured a while back:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have to give Bishi Bashi Special another mention.
  • I pirated the shit out of the ps. Had been n64 only for a while, ps as second console. Trading post ahoy. Proper chip, no swapping. Buying games in bulk from an international student in hawthorn who was Thai. His sister was cute as hell. Had his whole front room decked out for sales, so you could try games before buying. Great times. We so put that dude through uni.

• I always wondered how much the pirating contributed to its success. Its especailly intersting when looking at its sales and how they exploded in 98, Saturn and 64 both put up decent fights in the early years in Japan and the West respectively.

I don't know anyone who didn't pirate games on it by the end.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was definitely the console of choice for the pikeys.
  • I don't know anyone who didn't pirate games on it by the end.

I never did - I grew up in the countryside and had little access to either the tolls or knowledge required to pirate stuff, so all my games are official copies. Upon arriving in China, though, it became harder to find things that weren't pirated.
  • Yup, add me to the list of non-pirates. I had offers to chip my console, never took anyone up on it.

I used to have copied games on Spectrum and Atari. I always said I wouldn't do it after that. Of course, that went out the window with CFW for the PSP and R4 cards for the DS, but my feelings about both consoles deteriorated as a direct result of that.  Never again.

Anyway. Eagle One: Harrier Attack. Worms. Tenchu. Project: Overkill. Urban Chaos. Vigilante 8. Syphon Filter.
  • I don't think I had anything pirated, I missed a vast number of games because of that I guess.

Someone might have mentioned NetYaroze already, but fuck it, a classic is a classic:

"You're still a coward guy."

"But I'm really, really scary!!"
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Never pirated games, always bought.  TO THIS VERY DAY
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't think I had anything pirated, I missed a vast number of games because of that I guess. Someone might have mentioned NetYaroze already, but fuck it, a classic is a classic: "You're still a coward guy." "But I'm really, really scary!!"

My step mothers niece broke my copy of this disc and to this day I hate her for it.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Tenchu.

I sunk hours into Tenchu 2. My mate and I would create levels for each other and swap the disc between us once we'd completed it a few times. We'd set challanges on the types of tools available and the requirements for completion. Doubt I'd have the tolerance for that nowadays - probably too awkward to control and that draw distance..

But at the time it was amazing fun.
  • Tenchu 2 was amaze.

My chipped PlayStation allowed me to play Thrill Kill. It was a really interesting idea, even if the game itself wasn't that great.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I always wondered how much the pirating contributed to its success. Its especailly intersting when looking at its sales and how they exploded in 98, Saturn and 64 both put up decent fights in the early years in Japan and the West respectively.

I don't know anyone who didn't pirate games on it by the end.

If there were figures for ratios, I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed a strong argument in favour of moderate piracy. For as long as enough people pay for games, it's great for hardware sales.

I knew lots of kids who only had PlayStations due to piracy, and yet top-selling games were making millions each.
  • Tenchu 2 was amaze.

My chipped PlayStation allowed me to play Thrill Kill. It was a really interesting idea, even if the game itself wasn't that great.

Lol. Thrill kill. Wu tang game too. Tenchu. All about the first for me. Top 5 getting harder.
  • Oh, oh, oh! Just remebered another one...

Ape Escape!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!