The Game Club II: Back in the Habit [Castlemania: Lords of Shadow, Symphony of the Night, etc.]
  • Finished yesterday. Didn't get a normal run score cos I dipped out to do the 1-3 challenge. Just had another crack at that and got 22500. I might've ducked out before it saved though. We'll see if it appears on the leaderboards tomorrow.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Isn't it the shiz getting good at a small section and applying that to the rest of the game though?
  • JonB wrote:
    Finished my complete run on Normal. Thought I made a mess of quite a few levels, so was pleasantly surprised by the outcome on the overall leaderboards: 2ibyjc9.jpg 2zoj8r6.jpg I'm pretty sure I could improve on 90th, but there's no way I'm going through the whole thing again. Still, quite a transformation considering I gave up on this half way through the first time I played it.

Cracking work there!
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hard campaign done. I'll try the challenge and TC6 tomorrow. In the meantime, this is still a thing of beauty.

• total insanity, who gives a shit about the generic environments when the skill of combat can be mastered to such a degree.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    LFE Gun was a write off before I watched that. You can tell how much effort and time went into that from him knowing the angles on grenades.

I mean Jesus the fucking melee kick placement at 1:20 so the explosion gets another Romanov.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    MoluJpn doesn't beat the time but it's just as much a show of amazing skill. He gets 1st place for ending it in style though.

• Finally put together a good run on Act 3.2. A score of 13000, which is 14th (joint 12th) on the 360 leaderboard.

My score for Act 2.1 is still 12900, which is 10th (joint 9th).

That's me done for this week. Anyone else have a shot at these?
  • If people want more time on these high score challenges, I don't see why they can't continue next week BTW.

I may make a speed run on Challenge 1 next week's target, but this week's can stay open too.
  • Vanquish night for me tonight
  • OP updated. New target for this week. But by all means return to previous targets. I think we'll finish with it totally by next Sunday and move on to another game.

Vanquish [360/PS3]

Overall challenge: Complete the game, set a score. Ends 07/09/2014.

Week 3 challenge: Do Challenge 1 as fast as possible.

Week 2 challenge: Set a score on Act 2.1 or Act 3.2 on Normal.

Week 1 challenge: Set a high score on Act 1.3 on Normal.
  • Act 2 mission 1 up to 10300 now, ranked 44th.  No where near as good Jon, I got the 3500 time bonus (is there a higher one?) not sure where the rest of the points come from.  Especially when you look at the leaderboards and see people at 16650, that is insane :)

Anyone seen a video of a good run on act 2 mission 1?  Currently this is what I'm doing -

Going for head shots instead of style throughout, slide for the first weapon container and hope it has rockets or LFE, slides to the right and headshot the sniper on the truck, slide under the truck and EMP and frag grenade the gorgies and headshot as many as poss. Doesn't matter if you use the AR or heavy mg except on the orange dude, he needs AR only. Then shotgun the wall of chicanes from the back.

The middle section is loose, just headshot through it ASAP, using rockets of LFE of the moas and AR on the orange dude.

The last section is LFE the moa, or AR the pilot, then commandeer the moa to take out the romanovs, mop up the rest.

Granted I haven't head shotted everyone yet but I can't see a way to turn 10000 into 16000...
  • Those burrowing troop transports are one LFE wide.
  • Just realised that's probably 3-2.
  • Challenge 1 - 4:21.80 rank 26th 

Keeps going down, that was something like 14th or 17th when I first got it :(  on the plus side it means people are still checking out the game and setting scores!
  • You can get 5000 time bonus on all the missions. Might be under 4 mins for this one, but I can't remember exactly.

I would immediately pop out and shoot the turret guy on the left. Then the sniper on the right. Then get in closer and to the left, chuck in an EMP and shoot all the other guys. Then you can shoot those barrier robots from the side. Then boost to the door. (Actually never thought about boosting under the truck.)

The next part is just head shots. Maybe an EMP to help take out the group of 3 at the end of the first corridor. Then chuck grenades amongst the MOAs in the second corridor - I think wasting no time on those was the difference in getting maximum time bonus for me.

On the last part, boost straight behind the MOA. Shoot the guy near its feet, then the pilot. Get in and use it on the 2 big guys. Get out, destroy the MOA, shoot any other reds running around and then the last one behind the turret at the end.

I don't generally bother picking up any other weapons along the way, and the basics are usually enough to get through.

I'm sure there are more bonuses to be had from the Romanovs, if you shoot their heads off first (that definitely works at the start of 3.2 anyway), but time would be a problem there.
  • My Challenge 1 time is currently about 9 minutes BTW. Need to work on that quite a lot.
  • How's it going on challenge 1 folks?  I wonder if I can beat my old time, hope so.

I'm a bit late for week 2 but I got 14000 on act 2 mission 1, completed it in 3:22 secs and ended up with joint 4th on the leaderboards. Still no idea how that goes to 16650 though.

I wonder if there's another level to the time bonus above 5000, say for completing it in under 3 minutes the bonus could be 7000. Just a guess, there's no guide online that goes into any kind of detail.
  • I haven't played for a few days. Will try the challenge again later in the week.

Overall I think I'm ready to move on to the next game though.
  • Haven't played it since last week, will try to finish it before the weekend though. Sorry 'bout not entering the weekly challenges, but just finishing a game of this size is enough of a challenge in itself these days. That's why I like this thread (and it's predecessor) so much, gives me an extra push.
  • The challenges are extras for those with time, or who've played it before. Getting through it is the main thing. It's certainly helped having the thread here to discuss it, and I've got much more out of it than I would have otherwise.

I guess it's time to start thinking about the next game too. I had a couple of ideas, but am open to new suggestions as long as it's something I can download on 360 for a fairly low price.
  • Never got back to this again. Too busy this week.

So, anyone else finished it or got anything else to report?

And suggestions for the next game?
  • Would you recommend it, dude? I only got to and beat some flying boss that seems to fit in with the story. Act 1 only I think. Given how little time I have to play games, is it worthwhile?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Finished it this morning! So glad this thread gave me the push to have another go at the game, the more I played it the more I enjoyed myself and I'll definitely be revisiting it soon.

@Hylian Give it another go dude! Ingore any bits of cover you come across and go at it full-on, sliding round the place and slomo-in' at every opportunity. There's a lot of enjoyment to be gained from the breathless 1000mph action.

Oh, and my total playtime was only 4 hours so it's pretty brief.
  • Brilliant, I'ma play it tonight hopefully.
  • Oh, and my total playtime was only 4 hours so it's pretty brief.
    But that's 4 hours in game time. With all the restarts it's probably double that.

I would recommend it though. Having score targets really made the difference in terms of getting into it for me. It made me really try and get the most out of the mechanics, rather than just finding the easiest way.
  • Restarts? Simple, don't die :D

But yeah you can prob'ly add a couple of hours onto that and I was just flying through it. With the story outta the way there's plenty to keep coming back to for that short burst fix. I can see me putting a good few hours more in over the next few weeks.
  • If you just hammer through it that's missing the point, its a competitive score attack game, try and beat your friends!
  • ^Unfortunately that's the kinda thing I have less time for nowadays. Except for Mario Kart of course.
  • Of course Billy's absolutely right, but I'd say the action was pretty damned entertaining in and of itself. Certainly enough for a playthrough if you've already got the game. At least it was for me.

The score attack will keep me coming back again and again though, no doubt about it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!