The Game Club II: Back in the Habit [Castlemania: Lords of Shadow, Symphony of the Night, etc.]
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    It'll obviously be a lot easier and quicker to choose a stage (e.g. 3-1 etc) and do that, but lets wait til everyone's played it a fair bit.

Hell. I'm rusty as fuck, having not played it properly in years.
  • Curtis wrote:
    There's your goal for a Normal campaign run: Bu6CtKMIAAADtCE.jpg

Is Dubs 25465 places higher up the leaderboard than you?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Yeah, in opposite world.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Remember kids, HEADSHOTS. QUICK TIMES. USE MELEE TO KILL BIG SHITS (Romanovs). It's a little annoying that saving allies gives you score seeing as that's mostly out of your hands.

The only thing I was disappointed with in Vanquish was the forgettable ambient soundtrack. Especially after Bayonetta's effort.
  • I'm well up for this. I've never even played it. It was one of the few that got away. I shall pick it up and get on it.

Are the cut scenes skippable?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What the fuck is Gremmil doing above Dubs in the leaderboard?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    David already admitted he didn't enjoy the game. Hence his lack of effort.

Yes the cut-scenes are skippable. You're looking at maybe 5 hours of campaign once you slice away the layer of cheese.
  • Right, done Act 1. Took about 1.5 hours in total, I reckon. Looks like I'd got some way into Act 3 last time I played.

I still don't find it all really flows for me, but it's enjoyable enough. I haven't been using cover at all.

To begin with I'll give each game a month until we switch. But if that proves too long we can always reconsider.
  • Just been playing, I'm well out of practice but I've only ever completed it once anyway.

• This is what you need to be doing
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I wasn't able to get close at all, still 22nd worldwide but twice as long as the best! - 

vanquish_zpscf514ce3.jpg
  • Gonna start on this tonight. The tips are appreciated gents, I played the demo using all the cover I could find and found the whole thing a bit... *shrugs*
  • Yea don't do that, zoom around like a fucking lunatic on amphetamines.  Basically it's a game about showing off - go insanely fast to your next target and take it out in the most balls out way possible, sometimes using slomo.  Watch the other videos of that guy I posted above, molujpn.
  • A few things to notice about Vanquish. There are two very similar assault rifles. Why is that? Did they run out of ideas? No, that's your first clue. You can fire continuously if you switch between guns as you empty a clip.

Chaffs explode on contact with the floor, frags explode after a set time. You can't cook grenades but you can enter slomo and shoot them in the air.

Cigarettes don't just make you look super cool, they draw enemy fire while making you look super cool.

It's tempting to use your melee as the final dig to finish off a big fucker. The real trick is to rocket slide into a big bastard, use your melee, then use his bulk to protect you from the rest of the battle while unloading your guns into its face.

"..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I'm just glad to have got through that bit in the tunnel with the exploding things again. That was irritating.
  • I honestly don't think I've ever been as good at a 3D game as any of the Platinum fans on here.  The way I see Bayo and Vanquish described boggles my mind.  I was decent at Quake III on Dreamcast, but only to the point where people didn't believe I was playing with a joypad (which is to say - still a way down from the top m&k players), I could hold my own in Halo mp against mates, and Halo 2 online for a good few months after launch.  Other than that I honestly struggle to think of anything non side scrolling that you'd describe me as good at if you watched me play.  NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter 2 and Trials - 3D gfx, mostly 2D gameplay, so they don't count.  Panzer Dragoon Zwei I could 100% with my eyes closed (apart from one level that I often ended up on 98% on after forgetting one enemy), but it was on rails.  Super Magnetic Neo was into the screen 3D platforming.  This is an epiphany of sorts, looking back at that paragraph; I've sucked at most games since 1994.
  • My head hurt a bit last night so I didn't play, you need to feel pretty fresh to play this well. Hopefully give it a whirl tonight.
  • Moot it really is just practising stages over and over, honing your routine and timing, changing your approach a bit if needed.

I remember practising challenge 1 for days and doing just ok, then one day I came back from the dentists still feeling the effects of local anaesthetic and weirdness and pwned the leaderboard. Weird.
  • So it's not really practice then, it's anaesthetic?
  • Drugs DO work?
    SFV - reddave360
  • I've got some Lemsip I can take.

Okay, did Act 1 last nigh. I was a bit clunky to begin with but was soon rocket slidin' and slomo-in' all over the place and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Used the assault rifle and machine gun almost exclusively, just the odd grenade and rocket to add a bit of colour.

Will probably reply that section again to better get a hang of it all before moving on, after looking at those vids Billy mentioned that is.
  • The way I used to get good at games was to pick a small section and hammer it. Sometimes new mechanics would reveal themselves but I'd always come away with a better understanding of the whole game.

Vanquish had two demos before release. One area from the story, just before the first boss, and one of the challenges. Hammering those before release is how I got good. I was 2nd in the world on one hard stage.
  • Aye 'twas the opening section demo I played, though I didn't realise I was playing it wrong at the time.

Even with more practice I ain't gonna be worrying anyone on the scoreboards, I'm too old and slow for that kinda stuff. Which sucks a bit as I mostly play score based games.
  • The game came out 5 weeks before I was due to become a dad so I knew it was my last chance to be hardcore. I was one trophy away then and I'm one trophy away now.
  • OK, I went back and did the early levels again. Feel like I'm getting the hang of it a bit.

I think it's a good idea, as someone else said, to set a particular level for high scores for everyone to aim at, and indeed Act 1.3 is pretty meaty and also right at the start of the game.

So let's say until next Friday, along with just making progress, we also do a high score contest on Act 1.3.

I'm currently about 20,000, and still managed to die once on it.
  • Week 1 challenge: As well as just playing through the game, try to set a high score on Act 1.3 [Giant]. Ends at 10.00 pm Friday 22nd August.

Edit: On Normal difficulty.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    You should specify difficulty.
  • Do you have to complete it before you can replay individual stages? My save was lost with my broken hdd.
  • I'll miss that then. Felting out tomorrow and coming back on 22nd. Ok. I'll have a few hours on the Friday to give it a try. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Curtis wrote:
    You should specify difficulty.
    Oh yeah. I suppose Normal will do for most of us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!