Bye Bye Edge There are probably threads already....
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Adbusters?

Yup.
    Did an edit at the same time.
  • I want to see questions like... "In our review we loved story however it felt short. Was that a deliberate decision to keep it a tight experience or was that an impact of having to concentrate on the MP experience?"
    The latter, in almost every case.
    @Dante Not familiar with it. Google says it is film review jobby. I had in mind magazines like I-D and a bunch of other trendy mags, Juxtapose is another. Been a while since I looked in Smith's. There is another anti advert mag that is gorgeous if pretentious as fuck. Edit: Adbusters. All things should be that quality level in terms of artwork and materials.

Aye, that's the one. Not read the others you mention. But Little White Lies might just be the best magazine ever.
  • Am sure it is but I would like a bit of openness, even if they had to dig back and interview people about games that are well out of print.
    Film is very good at this sort of thing.

With the other mags I was thinking more art and materials, head into Smith's and smell those glorious high quality papers.
  • I'm quite enjoying a film mag called So Film atm.  Dunno if it's a new publication.
  • Again, artistic values not content of words n stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm finding it odd that Edge is gonna be a mag with no web site, 'cept for a bit on the future one that links to mag subs.

At least there'll be no silly bitly urls, now.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Maybe more people will actually buy the magazine, instead of having it's content available for free, online.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I think it'll have the opposite effect. With no website, the mag will just fall further into obscurity. Will they still do the ipad editions?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I hope not, I've never looked at one and have no plans to look at one.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Little White Lies style games mag would be awesome.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Loved Little White Lies is it still going?

Edge as an in depth quarterly would be worth buying. Especially stuff like the games you should have bought but didn't type features.
  • I think it'll have the opposite effect. With no website, the mag will just fall further into obscurity. Will they still do the ipad editions?

How many people stopped buying the mag, because the reviews and features were appearing on their website, though?

I happen to agree with you, though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I stopped buying because the quality of writing seemed to take a dive, didn't mind waiting for reviews if it was an interesting read.
  • I cancelled my sub due to drop in quality but also because most of the content was available online beforehand...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The retrospective angle is what is needed in the gaming industry. An awful lot of people focus on the latest release and then the next big thing. The high street retailers share this focus too. This results in an awful lot of excellent work going without reward. Sales & promotional activity seem to focus on a small number of big titles, each of which have a very short window of opportunity.

Why are we , on the whole, unable to buy anything new off the shelf, that is more than 6 months old? Yes there's online retail, but the high street presence of games on the shelf is part of the culture. And pre-owned isn't the same - the people who should benefit from that don't.

Retrospectives on games could extend their life - good for us - we get a heads up on something worth looking out for that for some reason just didn't click with people - good for the devs (and sigh - yes publishers) as sales profiles of games may change from the big bang -> bargain bin -> preowned pattern that doesn't benefit enough people in the industry to keep it healthy.

Longer burns in sales, and a broadening in sales and therefore risk might just embolden more people to try something new, and give the impetus for dev house and publishers to up their game.

Edge still has a cachet and platform to build upon - but it needs to act before it falls into irrelevance and obscurity, and an online presence has to be part of that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The current website seems like a wasteland though, nothing gets comments in double figures. I'm not sure investing in it would change that, they've never been great for news and discussion has moved to social networks.
  • Thing is I can get respectable retrospecs from a bunch of places i. e. people already without having to shell a dime. A LWL of anything seems fucking moot at this point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They need the type of content you can't get elsewhere. Leave the shallow news & reviews to others, and promote what you have to offer.

Brooks wrote:
    Thing is I can get respectable retrospecs from a bunch of places i. e. people already without having to shell a dime. A LWL of anything seems fucking moot at this point.

True. But if they can recreate the glow an Edge 10 used to have and keep the quality up  involving industry bods for scoops it might work.
  • I don't think there's any such thing as valuable content offered that isn't actual games tbh. Comment is cheap or even free.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's the problem with the web in general. But an over abundance of opinion doesn't mean there isn't room for something of value. That's why I think there is room for print with online augmenting it for discussion and then as a channel for older content provided free.

Not saying its easy though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Maybe, if as @Brooks says, there isn't really that much to talk about, then printed game magazines are on a hiding to nothing. These are only games after all.
  • It's more that millions of people are already talking about games, all over the web. The magazine might have a future, partly based on it's name and partly because industry types seem to be willing to subscribe and have copies lying round the office.

Any website needs hits to make money, even a drastic improvement in the website probably wouldn't make it relevant. It looks like not many people would notice if they improved it.
  • Their half arsed trying to have your cake and eat it digital strategy has been an unmitigated disaster that's completely failed online and only succeeded in pushing the printed magazine further down the slope of irrelevance.

he's a genius that Tony Mott

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Super Play, now that was a mag.
  • This is a problem for anyone in the business of selling information.

I might pay for a reliable filter, but I mean really I do that for myself anyway.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Maximum was bestest.  That is all.

Super Play was also top tier. 
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I stopped subscribing to Edge a long time ago. I was in from the start but as my tastes stopped keeping pace with modern gaming and its obsession with 3D environments, (and Edge's) I found myself flicking through the magazine instead of reading it.

Super Play was indeed best of its time.

C&VG in the early 80's was brilliant too. Arcade and 2600 game reviews, type-ins, and a regular write your own adventure column by Scott Adams.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    We're all forgetting...
    2jtZPoX.jpg
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!