Bye Bye Edge There are probably threads already....
  • NMS was great, Total! was another fun Nintendo read.

Mean Machines and the High-Five CVG era were two of my fav multipformat mags.

Two lesser known/quality ones I liked were Arcade and Ultimate Future Games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    But if they can recreate the glow an Edge 10 used to have.

I don't think they can. Edge 10s used to make me sit up and pay attention. They've given out so many now that it barely registers any more. That won't change if they start making them more difficult to obtain now.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That cover looks like Tim Langdell designed it.

Who remembers Plok!?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK wrote:
    But if they can recreate the glow an Edge 10 used to have.

Oh the glory days, when 3D was young and so was I. I think half the reason I bought the Wii U was to relive my youth. Alas, time marches on but I do believe I can make out VR on the horizon

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What games of last gen didn't deserve their 10 then? GTA IV?
  • That NMS cover is pure nostalgia.
  • GTA IV, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rock Band 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and GTAV I would argue didn't deserve 10s.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I remember buying that issue of Nintendo Magazine System, desperate for Super Mario Kart news and screenshots.

Just look at Mel's mullet there. Glorious.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    I remember buying that issue of Nintendo Magazine System, desperate for Super Mario Kart news and screenshots. Just look at Mel's mullet there. Glorious.

Zelda IV on the SNES too??? I had that issue.
  • Bloody hell I remember that!
    Pickford Bros. still going reasonably strong indie - Magnetic Billiards on iOS.

http://www.zee-3.com/pickfordbros/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    What games of last gen didn't deserve their 10 then? GTA IV?

Essentially, between '96 and '06, Edge gave out five 10s. Between 2007 and now, they've dished out another eleven 10s. Without wishing to get into arguments about specific games, if Edge wanted to keep the 10 meaningful, at least half of the last-gen games that were awarded 10s should have got a 9.
  • Mans giving too much weight to these scores. Go on the text, and your own gut feeling based on years of games playing / word of mouth, rather than a number assigned by some chin-stroker in Bath.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do. However, once upon a time, seeing that Edge had awarded a game a 10 would have convinced me to check the game out whatever my gut feeling or the word of mouth was. It was another way that I may have been recommended a game. Now they're given out so often that it has become meaningless so they do get ignored.
  • Yeah I do get that, honestly.

What's the difference if those 10s were made 9s though? That'd only be 'cause they're not brand new games/titles/franchises, right? If they were the first of their respective frannies, they'd get a 10? So does it really matter? They're like 9.5s or whatever.

I do think those listed a few posts up are 9s, fwiw, but I'm not really fussed enough to argue over a point. The Edge 10 has changed in meaning. Was nice when they were rare but the difference to me between a 9 and 10 isn't that much.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It was something they had which set them apart from the competition, a tougher scoring system which made those high scores seem a bit more important. Losing that meant that they lost what was, IMO, a defining characteristic of the mag.
  • True, fo sho.

I'd say the more important defining characteristic was the writing though. I haven't bought and rarely read an issue since '08 though.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    GTA IV, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rock Band 3, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and GTAV I would argue didn't deserve 10s.

Rock Band 3 is absolutely a [10].
  • I had that nms. In retrospect Mario kart deserves more cover than lethal weapon game. For shame editor.

Edit: zelda iv for snes!!
  • I had that nms. In retrospect Mario kart deserves more cover than lethal weapon game. For shame editor.

Lethal Weapon 3 was just coming out/was out/had just been out. Maybe they thought about that instead.

I can't remember how much hype surrounded MK back then. I remember it getting 7X% in Total! which was a massively biased Nintendo mag that called the MD the Mug-o-Drive, basically the sort of mag you'd expect to overrate it just because of being a Nintendo game ala Eternal Champions in one of the Sega mags moots always banging on about.

I also remember Sonic 2 getting 69% in Gamesmaster, no one gave a shit. I think kids back then were more grown up and didn't care as much about scores as the adults of today. The reality is its probably more likely we were so biased we didn't take notice of bad scores for games on our respective systems.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    The current website seems like a wasteland though, nothing gets comments in double figures. I'm not sure investing in it would change that, they've never been great for news and discussion has moved to social networks.

Edge only use(d?) facebook, twitter and g+ as horns, rarely did they engage with anyone, ignoring it as a soundboard, which seemed more insane after they killed the forum- I presume it must be policy- rarely engaging, and part of maintaining their standard, which they haven't met IMHO for years. Whatever policy it is that has tried to maintain the personality and authority of Edge has failed.

Also, you'd think if industry types need Edge in their offices then industry types need their website too for ensuring they can readily advertise jobs, y'know.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Lethal Weapon 3 was just coming out/was out/had just been out. Maybe they thought about that instead.

I can't remember how much hype surrounded MK back then. I remember it getting 7X% in Total! which was a massively biased Nintendo mag that called the MD the Mug-o-Drive, basically the sort of mag you'd expect to overrate it just because of being a Nintendo game ala Eternal Champions in one of the Sega mags moots always banging on about.

I also remember Sonic 2 getting 69% in Gamesmaster, no one gave a shit. I think kids back then were more grown up and didn't care as much about scores as the adults of today. The reality is its probably more likely we were so biased we didn't take notice of bad scores for games on our respective systems.

I wouldn't buy Gamesmaster because of that. An obvious attempt to gain notoriety.

I'm shocked it's still going, tbh.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had that nms. In retrospect Mario kart deserves more cover than lethal weapon game. For shame editor.

Or maybe MK had had the cover the previous month.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Looking at the list of 10s it seems like the whole concept of 10s as an indication of revolutionaryness hit the point of diminishing returns pretty rapidly after the first three or four (and yes, I do know they explicitly dropped that eventually).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Since the score was basically 1-4 = totally dire then from 5 to 9 scaling from meh to great and 10 being amaze. Fuck it all. Just have "edge recommended" in place of 10s and fuck the rest.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • I quite like Gamesmasters sub system of Buy-Try-Avoid.

Granted 90% of games would simply be lumped in the Try category but I like its simpleness.

Like Ian just stated 1-4 no matter what the review source are regarded as the same - Avoid. Have 5 (what should be 'average') to 9 as Try and 10 as Buy.

We should start a podcast - Traffic Light Gaming!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • For my money if Edge wants to be an insider magazine it needs to do more than just interview Lead Developers.
    Where are the interviewers with the other thousands of people who work on games.
    I am far more interested in hearing from animators, concept artists , physics programmers etc than I am reading a lead read the waffle he is been handed from the publisher's PR team.

What I definitely don't want to read is Edge going on jollys around Europe listing what studios are in what city.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Super Play, now that was a mag.

I recently paid dollar to get some issues I had missed. I spent hours looking through them and reminiscing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!