Now eating/drinking
  • I'm doing it tonight.

Excellent. You'll only go wrong if you find the dough is too wet - it'll ooze too much and flatten. This gets worse the longer you leave it so try the 12hr one first. Also, use a shiny floured surface for shaping. My laminated table is ideal. I pour the mix on and fold it a few times before leaving it for 15mins and then shaping properly into a ball (seam side down). It should look like this after shaping but before the rise;

uoqv.jpg

If it's totally flat then the dough was too wet so use slightly less water next time and leave it for less time. When I make the 18hr batch I use slightly (but only slightly - you need to be careful with the measurements) less water. Do not try to shape it on anything porous (like a wooden chopping board) or it'll just stick and be unworkable.

Nb. Don't be alarmed that it's flattened a bit after the rise as it should do that (it'll explode nicely in the pot later as the steam tries to escape). The main point is that it'll hold its shape long enough to let you work it into a ball.
  • yeah that was my question actually, I wasn't understanding the amount of water I need from the original recipe, can you advise?
  • I use these;

rkhr.jpg

Then it's just a case of three cups regular flour to one and a half cups of water plus 1/4 teaspoon dried (should say "fast acting") yeast. 

If you need to convert to weight not volume you can do it here, but for some reason measuring by weight never did it right for me.

Edit: A cheap plastic dough scraper is invaluable for loosening dough from surface before picking up and plopping in the pot. Helps clean up also.
  • ta, I've got cup measures that's perfect info
  • n0face wrote:
    I'd like to see a better rise but chuffed.

Slash top of the loaf. You can also try only giving it 15 mins resting time which will keep the ball shape. See here.
  • Nicki has requested SG Ragu tonight. Got my work cut out.
  • I need to make that again soon.
  • So do I. Veggie girlfriend pfft.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I am having chicken bites, of such a variety:

q19ZVsx.jpg

With these as an accompaniment:

Heinz-Baked-Beans.jpg

If anyone would care for the recipe (Michel Roux Jr has already emailed), just ask.
  • n0face wrote:
    I'd like to see a better rise but chuffed.

Slash top of the loaf. You can also try only giving it 15 mins resting time which will keep the ball shape. See here.

I think it's more that my house is cold and it didn't seem to bubble up as much I'm the first prove. Just bought some plain flour to see the difference from bread flour.

Not a great picture but I was pretty chuffed.
    20131113_070000_zps6e434fc7.jpg
  • Banging. Will snap mine when it's done.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I accidentally picked up a tin of beans with the little sausages last week. 'Twas the highlight of my day when they gracefully fell from can to pan.
  • I am having chicken bites, of such a variety: q19ZVsx.jpg

For all your shaped with added water chicken needs. I wonder what shape they were before?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Michel Roux jr has this to say about the NEW, SCINTILATING TASTE SENSATION of Chicken Bites and Beans:
    "Sat in the homely surroundings of Dark Soldier's living quarters, I found myself sat on a rather comfortable leather settee, with the table, of which I knew had been bought at MATALAN, at perfect height for such a meal. With my back arched, knife and fork ready, and two round of buttered bread, the chef himself (always a nice touch) presented this new, I dare say wondrous, recipe.

Served on a plate, again from MATALAN, of putrid yellow colour, the beans had been lovingly chucked over the perfectly cooked, high quality chicken bites. I instantly looked up, gave him a wink, and tried to hold back my excitement. Sliding not one, but two chicken bites and a varied amount of beans onto my fork, I sniffed at it as if a dog in heat enjoying the outstanding aromas of a female dog's anus when in heat. Instantly I could feel somewhat of a, how you English say, 'lob on' forming, and my trousers began to rise. I opened my mouth wide like a spacker attempting opera, and banged it into my salivating mouth.

At first, it felt like beautiful, delicious slodge, but as the flavours began to spread, and form, and I dare say dance, my eyes began to form globules of water, or as the common man says, I weeped like a small child after Jim fixed it. The sheering audacity of the spicing in the Southern Fried crumb hacked through the homely delight of Heinz Baked Beans, smacking my sunken, heroin cheeks into submission, They honestly felt liked they'd been put through several hours of hard bondage at a Soho S&M dungeon.

After swallowing, quite gracefully I may add, I had to restrain myself from just sticking my skeletal face into the dish and wanking onto my thigh. I dare say, all my years of expertise and training could never have prepared me for this. I won't dare allow my father to taste this stunning piece of culinary artwork, for theres no dubt he'd chuck himself of a cliff whilst screaming "I'VE LIVED A GOD DAMN LI-" at which point he'd be cut off as his brains splatter on the rocks below like soft strawberry jelly.

10/10!!

Also Jay Rayner is a cunt and MATALAN is brilliant!"

ztq7.jpg

Mock it all you want guys but you can't knock a review like that. He wanted me on Masterchef next year but I prefer to challenge myself.
  • Baked potatoes with cheese and beans.
  • I love DS's posts :)
  • That's some nice 'Shopping. I hope.

Anyway I just ate a jar of gherkins.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It ain't my shopping, its from CaB, with props to Viero_Belotti.

Also, gherkins are a no go here but me dad loves em. Little bit of useless info for you all there.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Steamed Vietnamese river cobbler with chilli, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, honey, lime and soy sauce with asparagus and broccoli, served with basmati rice. 

Delicious.  Also I've heard that chilli, ginger, garlic and broccoli are all very good for you so its healthy to boot.
  • n0face wrote:
    20131113_070000_zps6e434fc7.jpg

You're not going to get much of a better rise than that tbh. This is quite a dense loaf by nature. What you lose in lightness is made up for in crust, taste and that chewy crumb. Great by itself and for cheese and soup and all manner of things, but it'll never make a great sandwich.
  • My love of Chef John is getting out of hand, so much so that if he posts anything veggie I am compelled (and allowed) to make it.

Making this tomorrow;

• What happens if I rest this thing for 24 hours? That's what is going on.

Great SG ragu again earlier. I add a little vinegar and sugar to the sauce, think it brings it together nicely but it could just be the BBQ cook in me.
  • WHT ABOOT 36 or 48!?! Rest fro them weeks!
  • What happens if I rest this thing for 24 hours?

You'll soon find out. Post pics.
  • Will do. I'm I'll equipped for this, pot wise. Should hit the whiskey snd not worry about it like Live.
  • Doesn't matter if it fucks up. 20p of flour isn't worth getting stressed about. Try putting any kind of metal thing in the oven. Maybe a small bin will do. Post pics anyway.
  • It is like a bin, my smoker box. That or a big metal pan with lid.

Pretty excited for baking times later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!