Now eating/drinking
  • I regret not getting a Kobe beef burger in London last time I was over. Fucking Jimmeh.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Dive - All Star Lanes sounds like a shout, cheers. Not heard of that one, and it's down the road from my house.

Bodeans is a weekly visit when I see my mate in Fullham Broadway. The burnt ends man (my restaurant will be called Byrnt Ends), and the ribs, so good. Never tried the burger for fear of disppointment but you tell a convincing story.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Best burger I ever had was in a tiny little upstairs cafe in Hanoi, called the Golden Drum. Perfectly cooked beef patty.

Just remembered they gave me my change in forged notes, the bastards.
  • Haha no way. There's some damn fine eating in that town, but I never thought of seeking a burger out.

Got a reasonable Aussie effort in Laos, but that was it for the trip.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Spectacular beef in Vietnam so I suppose it makes sense.
  • Best burger I've ever had was in Lebowski's in Edinburgh. It were awsum. Mind you, in nowhere near as well travelled as you lot.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You've been to gay bars in Spain, anyway.
  • Jolly Ranchers. They proudly exclaim "Artificial flavourings" and I love them
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Lucky Chip is real good too, although the chips were crazy salty when I went. They do some sort of wasabi mayo too which is good.
  • Kow wrote:
    You've been to gay bars in Spain, anyway.

this is true. Plenty of hot meat in there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Marmite.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret, I don't understand why homogenized milk is bad. I drink regular supermarket skimmed milk - is that less healthy than unhomogenized milk?

I believe so.  There's an awful of misinformation out there though. 

Hopefully I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here; homogenization involves pushing raw milk through tiny tubes at high pressure, the aim of which is to reduce the size of the fat globules in milk (normally about 1-10 microns) to 0.2 to 2 microns.  The globules of fat/cream, which would normally rise to the top, are now too small to do so and are therefore dispersed throughout the liquid.  There's a second process applied to break apart the large globules that reform but that's boring.  This process extends shelf life as does pasteurization which goes hand in hand with homogenization, sometimes simultaneously (pasteurization is the heat treatment one).

There's back and forth on whether this process is harmful or not.  Increased likelihood of heart disease is one possible outcome according to Oster, though this has been shouted down by a few people.  Unfortunately, the most vocal of those people represent the Weston A. Price Foundation.  I do not trust these people.  H and P milk is also suggested to be more likely to irritate the gut and provoke allergic reaction.  Anyway, I don't subscribe to this either way without picking my way through peer reviewed research, something I've not had the time for to date.

Much of the positive (mis)information about processed milk is unsurprisingly backed by large scale dairy manufacturers.  What H and P allows them to do is draw milk from a large range of sources and mix it together with minimal risk.  H and P prevents contamination from one bad batch of milk fucking up the whole pool.  Point being, they want you to think there's nothing wrong with that kind of milk and that raw milk is dangerous.  Both assertions are bollocks.  Raw milk intended for pasteurization (as all milk produced for large scale dairy operation is) is indeed a health risk, but what the governing bodies do not take into account is the fact that a small, conscientious dairy farm can happily produce raw (unhomogenized, unpasteurized) milk that is perfectly safe for consumption, is vastly more beneficial and tastes far better.

These thing are inarguable; H and P milk is chemically altered.  The proteins in H and P milk are denatured so it is of less nutritional benefit. It tastes like crap compared to the genuine article.  Unhomogemized unpasteurized milk offers greater bioavailability of minerals and proteins.  It's also fucking delicious and is almost always produced using small scale and sustainable farming methods by people with an eye to their environment and animals.

This article and this article provide a nice fluffy summary of why unhomogenized milk is a good thing.  They highlight why small farms that have precise control over their milk quality should not be subject to the same standards as the large companies.

Finally, and possibly the main reason I choose raw or at least unhomogenized, I give major consideration to of the quality of life of the animals producing the stuff and the small farms that manufacture it.  Take Schulz raw milk, which I buy whenever possible.  It's a wee farm outside of Melbourne in a place called Timboon.  Animal welfare is very high on their list of priorities, confirmed by several people that have seen the farm firsthand and the man himself.  Their milk is deeeelicious, sweet and slightly nutty.  Now, take a national dairy manufacturer.  The likelihood that their animals are subjected to the worst factory farming has to offer is sadly rather high (factory farmed dairy cows tend to cop it the worst).  Plus, their milk tastes distinctly grotty.

The above is good enough reason for me to buy raw milk or at least unhomogenized milk (places like Schulz offer unhomogenized but pasteurized, as well as their raw milk.  Their pasteurization process is the gentlest possible, using lower temperatures than the norm to minimize the damage done to the structure of the milk.  Their raw milk is sold as 'bath milk' as you cannot legally sell raw milk for human consumption, but everyone who buys it (including meee) does so for drinking purposes.  Sneaky eh).  

I drink milk for its nutritional value and would not buy it if I could not get access to the brands I do.  I used to drink whatever milk was in the fridge (as kids do) and would always feel a bit queasy after drinking it.  Now, never happens.  Raw milk is a complete food; homogenized, pasteurized milk is not.  Processed milk is to organic raw milk what McDonalds is to actual whole food.  Don't get me started on UHT milk, euugh.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Thanks for that Skerret, I didn't know the difference with homogenized milk, I do now. I recall recently a story about a farmer here selling unpastuerized milk and getting treated by the government like a drug pusher. My son recently got diagnosed with a dairy allergy, makes me wonder how much it's down to consuming the crappy stuff.
    Things can only get better.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've read some evidence that those with dairy allergy issues switched to raw milk and suffered no further issues, though some of it was anecdotal.  If you do seek to source some, defo do your research.  Organic grocers might be a good place to ask.  My local is great, really know their stuff.

EDIT: found this.

DOUBLE EDIT: hang on, where do you live?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Just north of Toronto. I'll for sure check out the possibility of getting him onto the good stuff, not before checking with his doctor, we've got a good naturopath doc, I'll run it by him.
    Things can only get better.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ah.  Probably not much good me linking to a farm in East Sussex then.
  • Shut up and drink yer cow-puss.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    yes sir
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    20120531090035.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wow, I posted a photo straight from my phone.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Your walls are made of Turkish delight.
  • Kow wrote:

How the frig?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's some kind of alchemy, I know!
  • How do you get tortilla to cook all the way through I either end with raw potato or really dry egg, tips please.
  • Low heat then increase. How deep is the pan?
  • Kow wrote:

how did you do that?
  • I have a normal frying pan around 1 inch or a saucepan, nothing in between. I just find the amount of time needed to cook an inch thick layer of potato kills the eggs or even on a low heat burns the bottom. the one in kows post looks so good I want the skills.
  • The potatoes are already cooked?
  • No, used a mandolin to slice thinly and then cook with the eggs, I don't know how to cook the potatoes and have them so thinly sliced.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!