Now eating/drinking
  • I'll take some pics tonight, or when I next smoke something. Maybe some fish next..but I'm just getting the hang of chicken.

The jerk marinade I made last week was one of the most labour intensive, but delicious, things I've ever done. Don't think I'll be attempting to make that many whole ingridients into a paste without a food processor again, though.
  • Yeah, Jerk done right has a hell of a lot to it. I tend to only make jerk chicken for BBQs, it tastes better and is more of an event anyway.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I don't really like chorizo as much as other cured meats.

Needs cooking really.
  • mannaboy wrote:
    weadre wrote:
    Can you actually buy the Double Down in the UK? I assumed it was just some American thang.

Only available in Canada and the US so far.

I can't find Cherry Coke in this bit of Canada, other than a Slush Puppy flavour from 7Eleven. We seem to be years behind on many things, i put it down to manufacturers who can't be arsed with adding French labelling to their packaging, effing Quebec just piss off already.

Oh Jesis I miss 7Eleven. Those cheese filled hotdogs at the counter we just amazing.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Yeah, Jerk done right has a hell of a lot to it. I tend to only make jerk chicken for BBQs, it tastes better and is more of an event anyway.

For sure, something about the sun shining and that searing scotch bonnet vinegaryness smoking out is just one of the best food things ever. With the weather and the arrival of my smoker, I felt the time was right to try it.

I finished it on the griddle to get the delicious blackened bits how they should be - just need to get some allspice woodchips to get the perfect smoke flavour. I used oak to good effect.

Mission 'persuade GF that we need a decent food processor' starts this evening. Any recommendations? Maybe 100-200 bone?

• Oh also here;s some fish chips and mushy peas I made a while ago (seabass).

may28005.jpg

(cut the fillets up because if you order online, you invariably get two of the uneven sized ones that no one would buy in the shop. Skanks.)
  • Just out of interest Nick, how does the smoker work in regards to excess smoke?

I gather it's not just an indoor BBQ but can't seem to picture how it works.
  • @nick you can't really go wrong with a magimix bit of a jack of all trades but mine allways done me good.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Chicken Soup.

And five (5) slices of bread.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Needs cooking really.

Chorizo is the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Cheers n0face, might be the one.
    Just out of interest Nick, how does the smoker work in regards to excess smoke?

I gather it's not just an indoor BBQ but can't seem to picture how it works.

So it sits on the hot plate, and the whole thing's made of steel, so you can imagine gets really hot. Luckily the oven's near the back door and we have a great extractor, but even if you didn't the smoke wouldn't be too bad.

Some recipes call for not having the lid completely on, which is when smoke management can become an issue, but the two things mentioned before are enough to stop your alrms going off.

Pictures will say it all later - essentially the lid slides on to the main part with a kind of hinge system, which has a limited area for the smoke to escape round the rim.

Inside it's nice and tidy, the bottom part houses the chips, on that you put a drip tray, and on that is the rack that holds the meat. Then lid slides on, on to the heat.
  • That arse-faces Oliver fella used a bbq with a lid as a smoker the other day. Seemed a cheap and cheerful way of doing it.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Went to Sorrento for our honeymoon. Stunning place, we want to go back when the little one is a bit older. I love Italy, but I couldn't live there for fear of putting on a stone a week eating the amazing food.

We were on our honrymoon too. Stayed in an awesome hotel on the top of a mountain with views to die for.

And yes, the cuisine in Sorrento is immense. This was that restaurant I was on about - best pasta and fish I've ever tasted:

sorrento2001.jpg

(Yes it's my wife, not me)

And what about Cannoli?! WHY can't I get my hands on any in the UK?!

sorrento2040.jpg

...and the best cafe I've ever been to (check out the old guys in the background, they had 'meetings' there every morning.

sorrento2065.jpg

I love Italy.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Needs cooking really.

There are about a billion different types of chorizo and some of them do need cooking, and quite a few of them are shit. The good ones are sublime, though. I had a cured one from Salamanca a few weeks ago which blew me away. The best chorizo I've ever tasted, almost crumbled in the mouth with an ever so slightly smoky taste.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Plan, you jammy cunt.

Food looks a bit meh, though.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    @Plan M : My wife makes amazing Cannoli, she bought the rod things that you fry the pastry on to make the tubes. They are the greatest thing ever.
  • Nick, I am so jealous of that chicken, it sounds amazing.

That said, I think your deep fat fryer needs cleaning....

Oh yeah, what the fuck is Cannoli?
  • DS: I agree, food doesn't look the best in the pics but it was so god damn tasty and I am quite a fussy diner.

Frantic: Seriously? Man you are lucky. I haven't eaten one since my trip to Sorrento (Sep 2010)

Workid: Cannoli is like a wafer tube dipped in nuts, filled with cream and half covered in chocolate IIRC. It was food crack.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'll get the recipe off her tomorrow and post it, they're pretty simple. You just need a cannoli tube but it's just a stainless steel tube, sure you could improvise.
  • I'd really appreciate that mate, thanks :)
  • Wow. Iced firey Jamaican ginger beer is just amazing.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • When I was a kid, I ate a lot of cream horns. Is it like a cream horn?

cream-horn-1.jpg

but with chocolate and nuts

img_4460.jpg.jpg
  • My only experience of cannoli is hearing about them in the sopranos. They did sound nice though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I know the fat guy in the Godfather told the other guy to leave the gun and take them so I guess they must be good.
  • I love deep frying stuff 'kid, it's usually a shallow fry job in a wok though.

Here's a picture of my smoker (w/ Romeo the neighbours cat snooping around)

295005.jpg

The top part slides on and off the rim of the main part. Inside, yoi can see a grill. This is raised and sits on a drip-tray. Underneath that is where you snadwich the wood chips before placing on the heat.

Here's some smoked chicken breast on top of the risotto I made last night from the chicken carcass.

295009.jpg
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    My only experience of cannoli is hearing about them in the sopranos. They did sound nice though.

Yeh didn't Christopher end up killing someone in the shop when he goes to collect some?
  • FranticPea wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    My only experience of cannoli is hearing about them in the sopranos. They did sound nice though.
    Yeh didn't Christopher end up killing someone in the shop when he goes to collect some?

Is that when he shoots the guy in the foot? Think it was a nod to him getting shot in the foot in Goodfellas.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah I didn't think of that. Good spot.
  • Nick wrote:
    Superbum? Dam yeh?

virtually awsum!

comin to your house this weekend for a bbbq DAM YEH (the extra b is for virtually badass)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!