Civilization, create your own haves and have-nots
  • I can't stop repeating myself: this game is just the best.

So i won yesterday. Very pleased. Next difficulty will be immortal. It was quite a tense finish in the end. 

I was going for science victory, but shortly before i started building spaceship parts the international community randomly decided i was The Axis of Evil. I'm not sure why, but i think the Russians had a hand in it. Suddenly everyone hated me. I got denounced by almost everyone with a presence in Europe, and the World Congress basically became a club for runt-civs to pass piss-take resolutions at my expense. 

First they banned crab, my biggest export, then they banned nukes, just as i was about to build some (i paid for 3 to be completed just before the resolution passed). Rival civs even started making ridiculous trade demands during renegotiation of terms. I was literally paying 80+ gold per turn for a single resource. I had to pay whatever they were asking as any further knocks to trade would send me into a negative happiness spiral and add huge delays to spaceship production. I went from 450 gold per turn to 50 gold per turn over 30 years. 

The most anxious moments came when Russia announced they hated me and that their words were backed up by nuclear weapons. It was too late in the game to ignore, so i sent my 3 strongest units to their border, ready to strike in the event of war. A nuclear submarine armed with 2 ICBMs, a giant death robot, and a SAM. However, just as we were passing through the Baltic Sea, Poland and Denmark severed ties, which forced all my units into Riga's (city state) territory, who was under the protection of Russia. Nobody would allow me open borders, so they were trapped there and there was no way for me to get them back to London in the event of an attack closer to home. Naturally, with each passing turn Riga hated me more for my occupation, which in turn led to Russia hating me more, which in turn led to Russia's allies hating me more. 

In the end nobody had the balls to declare war on me and i still won. Think i will play on into overtime for a good few more hours as i'm really interested to see if/how the situation resolves itself.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Annex Riga, Russia won't have the balls to attack.
  • The Mongolians are a pleasure to do diplomacy with. They've just declared war on the Russians for 4 gold, and the Egyptians for marble.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They like a scrap. Any excuse for them.
  • War takes a long time. I'm clearly going to win but it'll take an hour to get everyone in position and take the last capital.
  • About to experiment with a new tactic. I've built 3 shitty, expensive cities in the arctic and i'm about to give them to the Russians in the hope that the added financial burden cripples their empire. Be interesting to see if this works.

Did this work?

It would be good to compile all these evil little tactics and stick 'em in the OP I reckon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Enjoying this thread chaps, keep it up. I'd love to have the time to sink into Civ V, started a game up a while ago but couldn't give it enough and ended up forgetting what the fuck I was up to last time I booted it up.
  • If in doubt GO TO WAR!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • About to experiment with a new tactic. I've built 3 shitty, expensive cities in the arctic and i'm about to give them to the Russians in the hope that the added financial burden cripples their empire. Be interesting to see if this works.
    Did this work? It would be good to compile all these evil little tactics and stick 'em in the OP I reckon.

It works but it's not very practical. In order for it to burden the enemy you need a lot of high maintenance buildings, which take a lot of time to build and can even be compensated for by building a bank or market. I am instead currently opting to gift conquered but undesirable cities
  • There's potentially unforeseen consequences too. I recently gifted the French a random city i'd been given, but that now may be partially responsible for them being unable to afford my truffles any longer. I quite need the gpt as my empire's overstretched a bit too quickly
  • I'm enjoying the early game much more than the later game. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a third game rather than finishing my other two 'cause they're just dragging on tediously. Is that common, or am I doing something wrong?
  • Do you have Brave New World?
  • My civ's all set up and it's mainly a case of going through the motions to keep it going and repel invasions. Next game's going to be militaristic and cunty, so that might be more interesting than the last two.
  • Do you have Brave New World?

Dunno. I've got the GOTY version.
  • Apparently not. What does it add?
  • Ah, that'll be why. Apparently GOTY edition doesn't include either Gods And Kings or BNW expansions, so you're missing out on quite a lot. G&K adds religion and spies, BNW adds trade routes, ideologies, world congress, and tourism (both add extra civs, maps and scenarios). BNW in particular improves the late game, world congress and tourism add an extra challenge.
  • I think if you just get BNW it will include the gameplay additions of G&K but not the extra civs and things.

Oh and both add extra units, and wonders.
  • Hang on, I'm sure I had a spy in one of my games. Are you telling me I was mistaken and sent my own worker deep into enemy territory for no good reason?

I've no intention of buying any expansions any time soon, which is annoying 'cause they actually sound pretty good.
  • Have any of you played Europa Univalis 4? I just got it. it's looking like a much more complex version of civ! Would be very happy with that
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I found it pretty impenetrable, but then I did do the usual man thing and dive straight in and not bother with the tutorial. Might have to go back and give it another go.
  • Yea i'm finding it a bit overwhelming, but it's also seeming like a natural progression after civ5. I really like all the historical info.
  • Totally repeating myself here, but you all really need to be using infoaddict mod on Civ. It probably adds as much strategy as BNW itself.
  • I have the info addict on, but I don't think I'm getting the most (anything) from it.

Any tips for using it?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I have to say I don't have a computer capable of running this (probably a good thing) but I am really enjoying the stories here.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I have the info addict on, but I don't think I'm getting the most (anything) from it. Any tips for using it?

You know how to access it? 

It's insanely useful. I don't think i'd be competing at the higher difficulties without it
  • You can find it at the bottom right of the screen during diplomacy, or beside the espionage tab during gameplay. You have to select it from a list. From there you can see who's at war with who, what their border agreements are, how many cities they have, what their science output is, etc etc. It basically gives you the facts and figures for everything, which allows you to make much more informed choices during diplomacy.
  • Sounds interesting (obviously) but also sounds like a complete bitch to get the balance right. I predict a 2015 release date.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!