Civilization, create your own haves and have-nots
  • Got a game going with Venice, world map as standard. Finding it a bit too easy. Started on King difficulty thinking it would be quite a challenge, but i'm way ahead going into the modern era, despite narrowly missing out on a fair few important wonders. Making 450 gpt, 20k in the bank, i have far more units that i could ever need, happiness is at 65, and my capital is at size 38. My two nearest rivals are boycotted through resolutions, and the only resource i dont have access to, silk, has been banned. However, i dont have tanks, and it seems everyone else does. But I should get a diplomatic dictory within the next 10 turns or so anyway. 

Have enjoyed this playthrough but it's been quite slow. It's already 2000 and im only just seeing planes. It's also been a bit too peaceful and with little excitement, which in some ways i miss from Civ4. I quite miss the emergent late game arms race dynamic, where superpowers stockpile and stack vast numbers of tanks. 

One very minor random thing i dont like about Civ is the text dialogue between leaders. It's too informal, and the information it conveys isnt always specific enough.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gonna give Beyond Earth a go in a bit, yarred it of course but if its fun I'll be buying.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Argh. I need to get up for work at 05:45. 

And they're doing a midnight release.

Arrrrggggghhhhhh.
  • This any good? Mixed reviews. Might have played too much Civ recently and got a bit bored, so may hold off on this for a while
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My yarred copy wouldn't work so I haven't had a go yet.
  • Bit early for impressions from people who've just got it I reckon. I know Bollockoff is playing RIGHT THIS SECOND
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    STEAM AND THE FORUM ARE CONVERGING.

An impression from, what, an hour I think? The fact I can't remember is a good sign I suppose. The aliens are probably the biggest gameplay change as they're lots more than just space barbarians. For one, they spawn in much larger numbers if given time so you have to be careful how you expand without pissing them off early on. That and the miasma create lots of soft barriers which means Civs can start closer together.

Only complaint so far is the leaders and factions lack personality. I miss Harald Bluetooth swaggering up in his longboat and Askia telling me his is a peace loving nation with a burning besieged city in the background.  And the music is pretty dull without all that real world culture to pillage from.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And as of yet I haven't seen any equivalent to wonders, which is a shame. It seems a misstep to compare Beyond Earth to Alpha Centauri too much but AlphaC did a great job of capturing the advancement of humanity socially as well as technologically with some great FMVs and memorable faction leaders. A complaint of XCOM as well in that characterization and the strength of the narrative is actually pretty weak. Maybe they fired someone years back.
  • I played a bit more Civ5 again recently. The more i play the fonder my memories of Civ4 become. I realise there's oh so many improvements in 5, but all my games seem to play out in the same way, that being far too peacefully. 

Can't decide if i'm buying BE. Was certain i would until yesterday, but the reviews haven't sold me.
  • My rule with Civs is wait until the first Steam sale and they'll have fixed the balance issues by then.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    And as of yet I haven't seen any equivalent to wonders, which is a shame. It seems a misstep to compare Beyond Earth to Alpha Centauri too much but AlphaC did a great job of capturing the advancement of humanity socially as well as technologically with some great FMVs and memorable faction leaders. A complaint of XCOM as well in that characterization and the strength of the narrative is actually pretty weak. Maybe they fired someone years back.

I only bought it because I thought it was pretty much AC 2. Is it not? May have to have a think before opening it then.
  • So i got this and i'm not finding it immersive. It feels like i'm playing a tabletop card game. Civ On Earth provided a better backdrop to disguise the underlying mechanics. Only a few hours in so hoping it will improve.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Right, there are wonders. They just aren't particularly wondrous.
  • Lot of complaints.

- repetitive/annoying text/audio prompts from leaders. This was also a gripe with Civ5, and should have been easy to fix
    - No way to know what improvements or units technologies will lead to. For now it's just guesswork
    - Why are there trading outposts all over the place? I thought humans had just arrived on the planet?
    - leaders are boring
    - planet looks boring
    - alien life is generic 
    - why are opponents always going to war? And why are they always asking me to get involved? What incentive could i possibly have? We've been on the planet only a handful of turns, none of the civs are even close to sharing borders yet, and with the total time elapsed, nobody could have possibly amassed more than 2 or 3 troops. Stupid. 

and my biggest complaint...

- for all the time the developers have spent on the lore of the land and various text quests etc etc, my input essentially revolves around adding 2 to one of 4 running tallies, press enter, repeat. 

I realise this has been the crux of many a Civ game, but previous iterations really did a better job of distracting from it.
  • - Adjustments to the difficulty still don't actually improve the AI. It simply gives them a bigger headstart. This was also a problem with Civ5, but i'd been hoping for improvement
  • wtf. My first game, i'm 202 turns in, and suddenly it's game over. An AI player won. No clue what victory conditions had been met or buy who. The 'play one more turn' option is blacked out and i have no option but to return to the main menu.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Look at the quest log and click on the Victories tab. It gives you a progress report on yours and other factions progress towards each victory type.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    NO VILLAGE, WAS EVER RUINED BY TRADE.
  • Weird. 3 turns before and it doesn't look like anyone is anywhere near winning. Maybe a glitch.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been having a go on Civ V today. It's just so hard to win militarily. As soon as you capture more than a handful of cities your happiness drops through the floor.
  • Domination is the only victory i've never had. I'm not even sure it's possible unless you pick a warmonger civ, which is a shame because war is where the fun lies.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What do you do about the massive amounts of unhappiness? Or do you only go for the capital cities?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dom is the trickiest victory no question. The art is to basically always puppet unless it's in a great location for resources/production. Make a beeline for cities with luxuries you don't have and with wonders. Sometimes you should just get rid of cities. Raze them if you can deal with the diplomatic repercussions or a good trick is to gift it for resources to Civs that are far away from you or just weak.
  • What do you do about the massive amounts of unhappiness? Or do you only go for the capital cities?

Combo of leader choice, wonders, civics, and not annexing crap.

Even if you puppet cities the unhappiness and warmonger penalties are still quite heavy. So yea, it's not so balanced.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This being released has boosted sales of Endless Legend. Which is hilarious.
  • dgi

It's a similar but good game?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fantasy 4X game that's gotten solid reviews all over. Steam users love it. PC Gamer gave it a slightly higher score than Beyond Earth.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Importantly, it has personality and a great soundtrack. Which is my main gripe with Beyond Earth's sterility.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!