Civilization, create your own haves and have-nots
  • I use spies for stealing technology and sabotage.
  • Infoaddict doesnt tell you who a civ is planning on attacking or anything, but it's fucking useful for geopolitical overviews. Without it, you have no time to reflect upon the merits of any given proposal
  • I installed that, had it there for a playthrough but never really used it. I think I prefer the 'peering over the border' fast and loose guessing method. I like taking risks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It is great, it's like having and adviser. Stops you making stupid decisions.
  • It is great, it's like having and adviser. Stops you making stupid decisions.

That's it, for me. Especially for those occasions when you consider breaking all ties with someone or severing open border agreements. Too often in the past it would seem like a good idea, so i'd agree to the proposal, and then half a second later i'm apparently at war with the regional superpower and i've no idea why.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's the game though. You're not supposed to know what everyone is up to all of the time.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yar, it seems a great mod but it glances too close to cheating for me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Plus I love Diplomats. Shit stirring by sharing intrigue is great.
  • That's the game though. You're not supposed to know what everyone is up to all of the time.

You dont know what everyone is up to by a long way. You have no idea what technologies they have, what units, where their troops are based, what their intentions/goals are etc etc, and you have zero info on civs you havent interacted with. But without the mod you have these ridiculous situations where suddenly Alexander, for exmaple, says "let's go to war with Spain", and you have to make a decision right there and then, and you cant come back to him later once you've scouted out the blatant pitfalls of such a move or realised that Spain is the number 1 ally of China. All this stuff ought to be common knowledge.

For me it also helps make sense of what are seemingly random AI decisions without the mod. In the past you might suddenly find out Russia hates you for apparently no reason at all, where just a few turns previous they'd been your number 1 ally.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's something that should be in the game as it is anyway. If you have embassies in other civs you should know who they are and are not friends with, and how many cities they have.
  • Will be getting this for sure.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm annoyed it lacks the faction depth and personality of Alpha Centauri but yeah it's looking great.
  • Think I like the look of that info addict thing.

Getting to the point where I've realised I'm actually smashing the other civs so I should just get into attack mode and really see how things function.

I'm way ahead on tech and about to have flight well before everyone else, with enough cash to buy a few planes outright to begin.

Don't think anyone is close to packing artillery either, looking forward to seeing that pummel a city, Got a healing unit or two and a general, and enough space around the cities I want to attack to think I should be able to do some pretty special damage and make things quick.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    A-bombs are fucking well disappointing on this. One of the few downsides I've come across.
  • Do they just wipe out a city?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Not really. They damage ground in the city, and depending on their defences, they take a chunk of health off it and surrounding units. I get they can't make it an instakill due to balance, but they're quite shit.
  • Surely it could do some cool stuff like make mutant fish, or have the fallout blown by the wind or something.

Chance of population growth being contaminated or something.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think 3 or maybe 4's nukes were quite impressive. left fallout all over the place and really pissed everyone else off.
  • Nice.

As a general musing, I think the reason this game is so amazeballs is that it actually practices what a lot of games try and preach.

I know they're different genres, but the principle is the same, 3rd/1st person shooters/stealth em ups/action games always want to talk about player freedom, even in open world, but you hit the limitations very quickly most times, you can go these 3 different routes, there's a choice, but this fourth way that looks really interesting is a fake wall.

You can chose to shoot this guy in the face, or wack him in the back of the head, or you can shoot this barrel next to him.

Civ legitamately lets you do things your way. And the limits take a lot longer to reach. My list of "I'll try that idea later/next game" could already fit on a toilet roll.

(Kudos to the AI for passing Arts Funding at the world congress, trying to slow down my science progress.)

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    World congress is my lap dog usually.  If i can make enough money I normally just buy up all the city states to get the votes.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm trying to push through Scholars in Residence. I don't think my mate as Babylon has noticed yet. He'l be pissed.
  • Heh. Took the dudes city with a bombing run & he gave me everything else he had bar his capital. That's awesome.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think Chieftain is too easy as that happened to me too. I gifted a city back to Alexander after I smashed two of Boudicca's cities within two turns. Do they always offer cities as peace offerings? Seems a bit daft to me.
  • I thought the nuclear weaponry was great. 1 strike and anything in the immediate vicinity is usually destroyed, and anything a little further afield severely weakened. Two strikes on any city and you can normally capture with a single unit. Aynway, it's not just about capturing cities, but also weakening infrastructure/food/production. The recovery period is slow following a strike, especially with trade routes/roads decimated, workers killed, most city buildings (excluding wonders) destroyed (which can plunge a civ into deficit on a single turn), and loads of fallout that needs cleaning. 

Also, ICBM armed nuclear subs are boss. A fave tactic is to stockpile nuclear weaponry then push ahead with a non-proliferation treaty so nobody else can have any.  

Random: another useful tactic when you're on the backfoot against a powerful army is to gift a destined-to-fall city to another civ. But choose carefully. Gift the city to a civ which your attacker doesnt like and the liklihood of them getting an open borders agreement to continue their assault are slim (which gives you plenty of time to bring in reinforcements), but it also increases the chances of your attacker declaring war on the beneficiary. 

I usually opt to give it to someone strong enough to pose a deterrent to my attacker, but not so strong to deter me from recapturing the city at a later date.
  • Nice.

Yeah, I'm only doing this first cheiftan run as practice. Even though it's easy, I'm making what I know are mistakes and I know I'll probably get my arse kicked on a higher settings so I'm happy to get the hang this way.

Might go for 2 difficulty levels up. This is one game where I don't actually being a little civ that could.

• Gotta say, the Alert option is brilliant in this.

Also, for the third time, props for the switch screen tip re loading. Mid to late game, it's vital. My lappy is struggling.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Dell Latitude E5410 Core i3 350M 2.27GHz 6GB 160GB DVDRW Webcam Laptop

It should run if graphics aren't truly awful.
    Facewon wrote:
    What are the system requirements for Civilization V?

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
    Memory: 2GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
    Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
    DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
    Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
    DirectX®: DirectX® version 11

Ok, lappy is chugging late game, as mentioned.

I have a spare ssd, would that help? I already have 6gig ram, doubt 8 will help. I assume it's all about the "Core i3 350M 2.27GHz" being under spec. Can I upgrade that?

• Turn off shadows if you haven't already, I usually leave terrain shadows on low though. I tend to use Strategic View for quickly doing actions and switching back for views of things like city religion and unit arrangement when fighting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I miss my throne room. Is there a mod for that?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!