Bear and Badgers console owning history (now with charts)
  • Some proper underrated gems in your collections there @Vela & @davyK

The Tanks game in Wii Play is superb, if that was a stand alone Wiiware game it would rank as one of the very best DL titles of the generation for me. Its a shame it went largely unnoticed on a game most people owned because of the second Wiimote.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't know why you're sighing Davy, I didn't ask you to list them.

That sigh was pompous - sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend anyone to get the 100 I have....just that since that gen lasted so long, and i only had one console, I ended up getting far more than usually would. 40-50 recommended games would be good going for any platform.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, what's your definition of 3rd party Davy?Kororinpa always looked good, only played it briefly
    Loose I guess - developed and published - I don't always pay attention to who does what so may have had got it wrong.

Kororinpa is lovely if a bit short - the sequel is massive - though the physics have been tweaked at the start to be more forgiving (you can unlock the original handling though).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh so I'm a Wii hater now. Jolly good.

That GIF wasn't meant as an attack on you - sorry if it come accross as such.

It was meant as more of a celebration of the Wii. Whilst not a classic console up there with the SNES/PSone it has some of the best games of the generation imo and it is misunderstood by many.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Twii people are a lovely bunch too.  Even sighs and GIFs are retracted.
  • I think the console was superficially dismissed by far too many self identified gamers, and not fully embraced either by the audience it courted.

What it did get was a fantastically diverse library for people who delved a little deeper, and had a vibrant B tier level of games that weren't really seen on the other systems after cod4 sucked all the oxygen out of the market.

And to reiterate, Wii Play Tanks is on par with Bomberman or Worms for multiplayer genius.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I never owned Wii Play.  I feel like I missed out now.
  • Should be millions of second hand copies available for a dollar. Just play through an hour to unlock Tanks. There's also a lightgun tribute to duck hunt as well.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Isn't Wii Play Tanks just the old Tanks game from the Commodore/Atari days with added graffix?
  • Dunno, never heard of that one. It has pretty spiffy pointer controls though, but I dunno if that differentiates it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message

So yeah, slight maze feel, blow up tanks. Was MP too, loved it as a kid. Modern one has destructible scenery though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Combat was ace - played the  bouncing bullet variation in my office gaming league last year - went down very well.

Wii Play Tanks adds mines, rockets and AI tanks along with 2 control options (either wii remote sideways a la NES controller or with nunchuk for steering).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I accuse folk of misunderstanding the Wii, I am railing against the perception of it being all wavy wavy mini game comps. There are a few excellent examples of that , and the rest are fodder to be ignored, 

There's plenty more on offer aside from the OK array of multi platform releases and the 1st party stuff - and a lot of people don't realise that.

And Jesus that statement - "good graphics - for the Wii" - is so condescending.Graphics are either good or not.  Don't think I have heard "good same room multi-player - for the 360".....
  • Combat was and still is great fun. Air-Sea Battle also on 2600 and Gunfighter on Magnavox Odyssey² are a couple others in a similar ilk.

Wii Tanks is a great little update of that old formula, top notch multiplayer fun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I have over 100 disc borne titles for it - and if you add in the 90 I have for GC, then it's library dwarfs any other collection I own. In terms of sheer family entertainment it has no peer.

I'm not sure how many Wii and GC games I have left now, some definitely went in the Great Fire Sale of 2009 when the government decided I didn't qualify for benefits and no one would give me a job, so my income was 'what can I get for my stuff on eBay?'. I'm very much the same, though, I had more games for my Wii than I ever did for my 360, and more for the GC than anything else I have owned. (Bar maybe the GameGear, but that's because I was young and stupid and would buy anything if it were cheap enough.)

I've never understood the cry of "but it has no games!" when it comes to the last three Nintendo consoles. I'm still working my way through my Wii back log, and there's still a few GC games on the list of things to get back to at some point, time willing.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    And Jesus that statement - "good graphics - for the Wii" - is so condescending.Graphics are either good or not.  Don't think I have heard "good same room multi-player - for the 360".....

o/\o

I do hate that. I've even heard someone say "Why would you bother with the Wii U when the PS4 and Xbox One are so much more powerful?" By that logic, none of us should own consoles, we should all be running liquid nitrogen-cooled PC rigs, and we all should have burned our Mega Drives and SNESs when the Atari Jaguar was released.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Wii rocks! tumblr_m5q1zuL91l1qbaj4uo1_400.gif

QFET. (Quoted for epic truth.) Definitely worth having on multiple pages. :)
  • Here's a chart containing every system that over 10 of us have owned.

ATkG5rO.jpg

For this I only included one console purchase per person. So if you owned a DS, DSlite, DSi and DSi XL that counts as 1 DS.

If anyone wants more charts just as Sega only or a certain generation let me know and I'll sort them out this weekend.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sega and Nintendo vs charts please.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I shouldn't find that as sexy as I do.
  • Aye, nice work @Retro.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sega and Nintendo vs charts please.
    Kyl0IQD.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Less than ten of us owned Master Systems? Boo.
  • You gave me a Game Gear and I gave it to Optimark. +3 to the bar.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You gave me a Game Gear and I gave it to Optimark. +3 to the bar.

more like -2

Once-upon-a-time-in-the-West1.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'd like a Venn diagram please.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just realised I've not put mine up, even though I can remember typing the list out and putting my favourite game alongside each console. Forum must have ate my post.

Anyway, here it is again:

Master System
    Megadrive
    Gameboy
    Playstation
    N64
    Playstation 2
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    DS Lite
    Wii
    Playstation 3

Don't worry about adding them to the chart or owt, just had to get that list out of me.
  • Don't worry about adding them to the chart or owt, just had to get that list out of me.

I'll add any updated list at some point. Maybe after every 2 or 3 page turns.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So more people here had a Gamecube than a PS2 or 360? That's a surprise.
  • They were £50 eventually.
  • Mine as follows:

NES
    GB
    SNES x3
    Master System
    Mega Drive
    Commodore PLUS 4!!!
    N64
    PS1 x2
    Dreamcast
    PS2 x2
    GBA x2
    GameCube
    Atari Lynx
    Xbox
    DS x 2
    PSP
    Wii x 2
    360 x 4
    PS3

Favourite? SNES. Followed by N64.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!