Bear and Badgers console owning history (now with charts)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've owned:

A console.
    Another console.
    A handheld console.
    An add-on for a console.
    Another handheld console
    A console which I bought on launch day and was the bestest.
    A third handheld console.
    Yet another console.
    An old console which I picked up on eBay.
    Another old console which I picked up on eBay.
    A console.
  • That Oric-1 keyboard looks like a nightmare to use. Are those rubber keys?
  • I have an Oric 1 in my garage that I picked up in a job lot of tech tat about a decade ago. Is it worth anything?
  • I'm sure you'd get used to them after laboriously copying a few thousand lines of code.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I've owned: A console. Another console. A handheld console. An add-on for a console. Another handheld console A console which I bought on launch day and was the bestest. A third handheld console. Yet another console. An old console which I picked up on eBay. Another old console which I picked up on eBay. A console.
    Master system
    Megadrive
    Gameboy
    Mega/Sega cd
    Gameboy colour
    Dreamcast
    Gameboy advanced
    PlayStation 2
    Snes
    N64
    Xbox 360

Am I close?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    krs wrote:
    That Oric-1 keyboard looks like a nightmare to use. Are those rubber keys?

Nope.. they were plastic - like calculator buttons. You could type at a decent speed once you got used to it. They were pretty resistant though from what I remember - you had to press harder than a normal keyboard - some people thought they felt like pressing down on false teeth.......an alternative to the Speccy's slugs then.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've owned: A console. Another console. A handheld console. An add-on for a console. Another handheld console A console which I bought on launch day and was the bestest. A third handheld console. Yet another console. An old console which I picked up on eBay. Another old console which I picked up on eBay. A console.
    Master system Megadrive Gameboy Mega/Sega cd Gameboy colour Dreamcast Gameboy advanced PlayStation 2 Snes N64 Xbox 360 Am I close?

I was going to guess Mega CD.  It might have been Yoss that mentioned not regretting the purchase recently though.
  • Not including numerous PC/Laptops/Tablets/Phones and includes anything that was in the house at the time. Some were my brothers and not mine, but we both used them.

Atari 2600
    Atari 2600 Jr - In the attic in my parents. Tested recently and still works.
    NES
    Amstrad CPC 464
    Commodore 64
    Game Boy
    Mega Drive
    SNES
    Mega Drive II
    Playstation
    N64
    Game Boy Pocket
    PS One
    Gamecube
    GBA SP
    PS2
    Xbox
    DS - Given to my girlfriend (now wife) who gave it to her son (now my stepson).
    DS Lite - Bought by said girlfriend/wife. Still in the house and still gets used.
    Wii - Currently under the telly in the front room. Gets used by the youngfella for Skylanders: Giants.
    PSP - Used several times a week as an MP3 player for my car.
    PS3 Slim - Main console under the telly in the front room.
    360 S - Setup on the computer table in the front room with a sub one frame of lag monitor.
    DSi XL - Mainly used when travelling.
    PS Vita - Just got at Christmas.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a brace of DS's at my house - the daughters'. They have a pile of games for them but I don't count them.

All of my consoles are connected up, or at least are readily connected.

I'm fortunate enough to have two sitting rooms so wifey can watch Eastenders and location shows on the main TV.

I use the 2nd TV downstairs which shares room with my hifi so its all good.

Downstairs (TV2 - Sony Bravia 32" LCD)
    XBOX360(hdmi)
    Wii (component)
    Dreamcast(VGA)
    PS2 slim and JPN Saturn RGB SCART (shared connection. Tried using a monster SCART block but it produces a dimmer image so I swap)

Upstairs (spare room - 26" Panasonic CRT)
    These are all RGB SCART fed through a lovely powered Thor SCART switch
    PAL Saturn
    Gamecube
    Dreamcast
    Megadrive
    PS1 
    Phat PS2 (PS1 and PS2 share a cable - the Thor has 5 inputs)

N64 via s-video
    SNES via s-video. These 2 can share an s-video lead which is handy. The JPN N64 won't work with the CRT via s-video (b&w image - which is odd as NTSC RGB SCART sources and the modded SNES at 60Hz work via s-video OK with it ) so I use it downstairs on the LCD - have the JPN s-video plugged in downstairs for quick setup. The JPN N64 requires a different cable - a JPN cable will cause colour bleed with a PAL console.

The 2600 and 7800 are fed into a Sony VCR via RF, then a composite cable goes from the VCR to SCART2 on the TV. It's nice as I can run my home cooked PAL60 ROMS fine off my Harmony cartridge and the TV seems happy with the PAL60 signal via the composite SCART. The only fly in the ointment is the 7800 which pushes out a woeful RF signal. Nothing can be done about it sadly - though the Sony VCR's tuner manfully tries its best to tidy the picture up. A composite mod is possible I hear , and there is a French model with RGB SCART which would be lush as the 7800 is a tidy wee console - out sprites the NES with ease.

To my surprise I find most N64 games via s-video on the LCD look just fine. 32" probably helps, as does the fact that it's a Sony. My fading eyesight and onboard retro tolerance filter in my brain no doubt help too.

Retro connectivity solutions could be thread in itself - there are some lovely solutions now such as the XRGBmini that makes the oldies work with new TVs with scanline options etc.
  • C64
    Mastersystem 1
    Game Gear
    SNES
    Megadrive
    Mega CD
    Sega Nomad
    Amiga 32
    Saturn
    PS1
    PS2
    N64
    Gameboy Advance
    Dreamcast
    Gamecube (US)
    XBOX (US)
    Wii
    PS3
    PS Vita
    Xbox 360
    Wii U
    Xbox One

All current consoles hooked up through my Onkyo Amp to projector, other than the Wii U which is on the family TV allowing me to game when Peppa Pig is on!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Projector eh? Nice.

Some NTSC consoles there too. I've only JPN N64 and Saturn. I use a Freeloader with the GC/Wii, Breaker Pro for PS1 and DC-X with the Dreamcast. I don't own enough imports on those consoles to justify getting import hardware. 

I have only a handful of imports for my N64 but it's early days with that - intend to upgrade the dodgy N64 PAL ports. The N64 has no region lock in the NTSC region so US games can be played OK with a bridge adaptor - meaning I can pick which version gives me the best deal re price and condition.
  • @davyK Bought both GC and Xbox when I was in NY just after launch. Use the free loader for the GC to play PAL/JAP games and I got my xbox modded to do the same. 

TBH my game collection is pitiful, there is probably only my Dreamcast that I have managed to sustain a decent collection with!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    @yossarian you need to tell me what I scored. I need confirmation!
  • Shared with my brother over the years:

Amiga 500 (not sure if it counts...)

Sega Megadrive
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Mega CD
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast (JPN)

Panasonic 3DO

Atari Jaguar
    Atari Lynx

Super Nintendo
    Nintendo 64 (JPN)
    Nintendo GameCube
    Nintendo Wii
    Gameboy
    Gameboy Pocket
    Gameboy Colour
    Gameboy Advance
    Gameboy Advance SP
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo DS Lite
    Nintendo 3DS XL

Sony Playstation
    Sony Playstation 2 (JPN)
    Sony Playstation 3
    Sony PSP (JPN)

Microsoft Xbox
    Microsoft Xbox 360

I *think* that's it...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    @davyK Bought both GC and Xbox when I was in NY just after launch. Use the free loader for the GC to play PAL/JAP games and I got my xbox modded to do the same.  TBH my game collection is pitiful, there is probably only my Dreamcast that I have managed to sustain a decent collection with!

The cool thing about using the Freeloader with the Wii is that the few NTSC games I have will run at 480p because the Wii is connected up using component cables. I just hold down B as the game boots to activate 480p mode - cheaper than sourcing an import GC and the rare component GC cable. Pity the PAL games don't have that feature.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I've owned:

A console.
    Another console.
    A handheld console.
    An add-on for a console.
    Another handheld console
    A console which I bought on launch day and was the bestest.
    A third handheld console.
    Yet another console.
    An old console which I picked up on eBay.
    Another old console which I picked up on eBay.
    A console.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I've owned: A console. Another console. A handheld console. An add-on for a console. Another handheld console A console which I bought on launch day and was the bestest. A third handheld console. Yet another console. An old console which I picked up on eBay. Another old console which I picked up on eBay. A console.
    Master system Megadrive Gameboy Mega/Sega cd Gameboy colour Dreamcast Gameboy advanced PlayStation 2 Snes N64 Xbox 360 Am I close?

8/11, although not all in the correct order.
  • BBC B. Not really a console but I only played games on it, and made beeps.
    Game Gear
    Game Boy
    Megadrive
    GBA
    GBA SP
    PS2
    PS2 Slim
    Xbox 360
    Xbox 360
    Gameboy Micro
    DS
    DSi (actually can't remember if I has this as well as a DS, I didn't have the original pig-ugly one)
    DSXL
    PSP
    PSP (Slim? the thinner one)
    PSP Go
    Wii
    PS3
    PS3
    PS3 Slim
    PS3 Slim
    3DS
    3DS XL
    3DS XL
    Dreamcast
    Vita
    Vita
    WiiU
    PS4
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tested recently and still works.

Yeah, I was wondering about who has the oldest still-working machine. You, for now.

My Plus/4 still worked the last time I dug it out, but I really had to hammer a couple of its keys. Oric-style.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Tested recently and still works.
    Yeah, I was wondering about who has the oldest still-working machine. You, for now. My Plus/4 still worked the last time I dug it out, but I really had to hammer a couple of its keys. Oric-style.

Nah - that's a 2600 Jr which was a later release. My working woody pre-dates it, as do my working pong consoles.

JMW wrote:
    BBC B. Not really a console but I only played games on it, and made beeps.

Posh. The Beeb ran ultra fast and had some splendid games. Acornsoft did some really nice ports of Defender and Pacman etc. It's version of Chuckie Egg was definitive. A BBC model B went for around £400 back then.....
  • I started with a BBC. I wanted a Spectrum like my friends, but my dad said he wanted to get something that could be more educational. More educational turned out to mean having fewer games. There were some good ones though. All the Ultimate stuff and Elite, of course.
  • JMW wrote:
    BBC B. Not really a console but I only played games on it, and made beeps. Game Gear Game Boy Megadrive GBA GBA SP PS2 PS2 Slim Xbox 360 Xbox 360 Gameboy Micro DS DSi (actually can't remember if I has this as well as a DS, I didn't have the original pig-ugly one) DSXL PSP PSP (Slim? the thinner one) PSP Go Wii PS3 PS3 PS3 Slim PS3 Slim 3DS 3DS XL 3DS XL Dreamcast Vita Vita WiiU PS4
    Have you not noticed you keep buying ones you've already got?
  • A couple of times it was slims to replace fats but I have a JP Vita and 3DS as well as UK; totally different games on them.

Planetoid was the BBC defender I think, and it was really really well done, very crisp.
  • And the big Ultimate games - done nicer of course - but we did miss a couple. I'd have loved Underwurlde.
  • Just the important ones, the ones I feel genuine affection for:

Speccy
    Amiga
    SNES
    N64
    GBC
    GBA
    DC
    GC
    DS
    Wii

Plus a load of other guff along the way, including oldbox, 360, wiiu, 3DS and NGPC. Mere one night stands in comparison to the list of lovers up there.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The only weird one there @Workid is the Wii.

I never felt it had the soul of a Nintendo console like the Snes, N64 or GC.

Forgot my Sega Gamegear in my list loved playing Shinobi on it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Just the important ones, the ones I feel genuine affection for:

Speccy
    Amiga
    SNES
    N64
    GBC
    GBA
    DC
    GC
    DS
    Wii

Plus a load of other guff along the way, including oldbox, 360, wiiu, 3DS and NGPC. Mere one night stands in comparison to the list of lovers up there.

Wot no Playstation?
  • Grandstand Pong machine
    Atari 2600
    Intellivision
    Vectrex
    ZX80
    Spectrum 48k
    Commodore 16
    NES
    Spectrum 128
    SNES
    N64
    PS1
    PS2
    Dreamcast
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PS3
    WiiU
    Handhelds.

Gameboy
    Gameboy PocketGameboy Colour
    GBA
    GBA SP
    GB Micro
    DS
    DS lite
    PSP
    DSI
    3DS
    3DS XL
    Vita

One console that I did not own(but really wanted to own) but used to play most lunch hours during school was a Neo-Geo around my mates house.  Many lunch hours & the odd science lesson were lost to UN Squadron & Nam 75.  He also imported a SNES when it first hit Japan, flash git.  I can remember my jaw hitting the floor when I first saw Super Mario World & F-Zero.
  • I loved my Wii. The first console I could play with my kids, my parents, my wife. Also SMG and SMG2.

I think the Wii kept me gaming. I was close to giving up. This gen might be the gen where that finally comes to pass.
  • And I never loved the PlayStation. There were some fine games but I never really got on with the likes of RE, Tomb Raider or Wipeout.

The best analogy I can give is that they felt like shiny Hollywood remakes of warehouse films I adored. I felt I'd played better games with more depth and soul. By the time of PS 2 and 3 I was heading down the MS route. In hindsight that was probably the wrong move.

So I never owned a PS but we had a shared one in our student house. We did play a lot of Tekken and Brian Lara.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!