Bear and Badgers console owning history (now with charts)
  • WorKid wrote:
    I think the Wii kept me gaming. I was close to giving up.

Had a few lulls over the years, last major one, it was the Xbox, Counterstrike & live that brought me back.

Wii, WiiU & the 3DS have been fantastic for playing games with my kids over the years.  The N64 was the same room multiplaya king with mates.
  • In contrast, the Wii was the first (and only) Nintendo console to really disappoint me, but for the Galaxy games I'd of completely regretted my purchase. Dunno, may have felt differently if I'd had kids. 

Anyways my list (not including laptops/gaming PCs) all shared with my bro, up to and including the Ps2:

Spectrum 48k 
    C64
    Nes
    Gameboy
    Atari Lynx
    Snes
    Megadrive
    N64
    Gamecube
    Ps2
    Gameboy Advance
    Xbox360
    Wii
    Ps3
    Vita
  • Amiga 500NES
    GB
    SNES
    N64
    GBC
    GBA
    GC
    DS (OG)
    PS2
    DSLite
    GBA SP
    PS1
    GB Micro
    3DS
    3DSXL

anything I dont own i've got pretty good access to if need be. 
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nice to see the Nintendo consoles getting some love. While I was a massive fan of the original PlayStation, the N64 has my most cherished gaming memories from that era. And the Wii, while maligned by the 'hardcore', had tons of cool stuff on it that sadly gets over looked a lot of the time.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I think the thing which stands out on my list most is the amount of portables i've bought. I still find portable gaming the best thing ever.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Oh fuck, I've still got my OG DS.

I need to get my tunes outta Korg DS-10.

I also want some kind of synth for Vita.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • In rough order of being owned:

Spectrum 128k
    Amiga 500+
    Gameboy Pocket
    N64
    Mega Drive
    Gameboy Colour
    Gameboy Advance
    Xbox
    Gamecube
    Dreamcast
    NES
    Swancrystal (Gunpei Yokoi NEVA 4GET)
    Gameboy Micro (best handheld of all time)
    PSP
    Xbox 360

An eclectic mix. Complete lack of Sony consoles down to all my friends having them anyway so between us we managed to pretty much play most of the big titles each gen.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Should I count consoles that I owned but never plugged in?  I counted the NES and SNES in my list, both of which I owned post-2000, but I never used either machine (I always played other people's consoles/GBA ports/Virtual Console/emulators).  I guess the clue's in the thread title.
  • i've got an FC Twin too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Nice to see the Nintendo consoles getting some love. While I was a massive fan of the original PlayStation, the N64 has my most cherished gaming memories from that era. And the Wii, while maligned by the 'hardcore', had tons of cool stuff on it that sadly gets over looked a lot of the time.

The Wii is quite seriously misunderstood as a console. It has been the most successful at my house because of the family gaming. I have had hundreds of hours with my two (and wifey on occasions). For same room multi-player it is hard to beat. To think that the Wii is all about wavey wavey is to totally misunderstand it.

I have bought more games for the Wii than for any other platform I own - I have over 100 disc borne titles for it - and if you add in the 90 I have for GC, then it's library dwarfs any other collection I own.

In terms of sheer family entertainment it has no peer.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • mk64 wrote:
    i've got an FC Twin too.

I wouldn't include that but don't mind you counting it as a NES/SNES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I forgot about my Virtual Boy!

Will add to my OP
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I have bought more games for the Wii than for any other platform I own - I have over 100 disc borne titles for it

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that 90% of those games are shite.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Should I count consoles that I owned but never plugged in?  I counted the NES and SNES in my list, both of which I owned post-2000, but I never used either machine (I always played other people's consoles/GBA ports/Virtual Console/emulators).  I guess the clue's in the thread title.

They count.

A lot of the ebay consoles I picked up post 2000 were barely played outside of testing if they worked, hence selling them all on.

The novelty of owning them and the ebay craze were the only reasons I picked up most of them.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I have bought more games for the Wii than for any other platform I own - I have over 100 disc borne titles for it

I would take issue with that and saw the branch off you are sitting on.

Even a cursory glance at my Wii pile of shame, all of which are not the best on offer would refute that.

Not all 100-odd are stone cold classics - of course not - some iffy ones in there, but not many. I'm not going to list all the Wii games I have as that would be a bore - however I may list the few that I found to be poor.

To take the 10 best games out of my collection and then say that stuff like Geometry Wars Galaxies, Puzzle Quest, or Boom Blox are shit would be quite wrong.

I would posit that you would be one of the many people who have a misunderstanding of the console. The current length of this gen, and the fact that I have only recently got a contemporary (a 360) has probably had an influence on how many games I have for the Wii.
  • Grandstand Astrowars
    Atari 2600
    Commodore 64
    NES
    Mega-Drive
    Gameboy
    Dreamcast
    Gameboy Advance
    PS2
    GameCube
    DS
    3DS
    Vita
    PS4

Have everything bar the NES which was given to my sister who sold it in England.
    Dreamcast broke but I have a second.
    PS2 ended its life after I broke a ribbon cable during a disk read error fix (before knocking a cup of tea into it with no case on..)
    DS (which I won on the radio) has a cracked hinge.
    360 rrod 5 or 6 times
    Original 3DS had a complete screen failure. Bought a second. Don't know why I bothered.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    PS2, Vita and PS4, but no PS3?
  • davyK wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:

The Wii is quite seriously misunderstood as a console. It has been the most successful at my house because of the family gaming. I have had hundreds of hours with my two (and wifey on occasions). For same room multi-player it is hard to beat. To think that the Wii is all about wavey wavey is to totally misunderstand it.

I have bought more games for the Wii than for any other platform I own - I have over 100 disc borne titles for it - and if you add in the 90 I have for GC, then it's library dwarfs any other collection I own.

In terms of sheer family entertainment it has no peer.

I reckon my Wii/gc library is about the same.

And none of it is filler.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    davyK wrote:

I would take issue with that and saw the branch off you are sitting on.

Even a cursory glance at my Wii pile of shame, all of which are not the best on offer would refute that.

Not all 100-odd are stone cold classics - of course not - some iffy ones in there, but not many. I'm not going to list all the Wii games I have as that would be a bore - however I may list the few that I found to be poor.

To take the 10 best games out of my collection and then say that stuff like Geometry Wars Galaxies, Puzzle Quest, or Boom Blox are shit would be quite wrong.

I would posit that you would be one of the many people who have a misunderstanding of the console. The current length of this gen, and the fact that I have only recently got a contemporary (a 360) has probably had an influence on how many games I have for the Wii.

Have you heard of Sturgeon's Law?

90% might be pushing it, but the majority of your Wii collection will undoubtably be shite. Over 100 Wii games!? Come on, you might have had a giggle with the kids but by the time you reach game 40 you're scraping the barrel.

I don't see how I've misunderstood the console either, could you explain that one to me?
  • One man's shite is another man's treasure.

Um...
  • When I get home There Will Be Lists.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I agree with Davy's assessment that the Wii was host to far more excellent/great/good games than many people give it credit for, but from personal experience, if we're just counting retail games, the number 100 could be halved without sacrificing anything that screams "play me!", especially in the face of the multiple dozens of 360/PS3 games also vying for attention.  I think I owned around 28 Wii games at one point - more than double what I've bought on PS3, and possibly more than I owned over the course of the 360s lifespan, but I could trim the last 8 from the list without losing any sleep. 

I'd take a Wii over a PS3 for sure, despite being a huge fan of the Uncharted games/Pixeljunk Shooter etc, but that's going back to the old Wii60 argument (if you only buy two of the three, 360 OR PS3 + Wii is the best choice if you want access to the largest number of terrific games).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sigh....list-me-do it is. There were would be games on other platforms that i got because whilst they may be better on other platforms (maybe look a bit nicer and have a healthier online community) wouldn't justify buying the hardware. For example I have Angry Birds Trilogy & Star Wars, a couple of COD games (Black Ops and World At War), de Blob 1&2, Gottleib Pinball, Jewel Quest Trilogy,Lego Star Wars, Mercury Meltdown, Metal Slug Anthology,Monster Hunter, Puzzle Quest, Rayman Origins, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, Sonic Colours, Tiger Woods PGA series (3 of those), Virtua Tennis 4, Worms Battle Island, DJ Hero 1 & 2, and several Guitar Hero games.

So there's just over 25 or so to start with. Say we are down to 75 games.

Then take Ninty's own stuff - start with the 1st string: Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, New SMB Wii, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, Wii Sports Resort , Wii Fit, Wario Ware, 

2nd string : Animal Crossing, Big Brain Academy, Punch Out, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Mario Party 8&9,  Wario World, Wii Party, Play, Play Motion. Pikmin 1 & 2 New play control. That's another 22 - down to 53 games. (OK say 55 as some may say a few of those are "shite" - opinion - but say 55.

Good 3rd party stuff: Kirby's Epic Yarn, Res Evil 4, Bit.Trip Complete, Boom Blox 1 & 2, Boom Street, Dead Space Extraction, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Excitetruck, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Ghost Squad, Kororinpa 1 & 2, Muramasa, Raving Rabbids , Rhythm Heaven Fever, Sin & Punishment 2, Tatsunoko v Capcom, Trauma Centre 1& 2, Little King Story, Zack & Wiki, HOTD:Overkill. That's 23 more - down to just over 30 now.

Decent 1st & 3rd party stuff - Let's Tap, Link's Crossbow Training, Mario Sports Mix, Mushroom Men, Smarty Pants, Tetris Party Deluxe, Conduit & Conduit 2, HOTD 2 & 3, Wing Island, 2 Res Evil on-rails shooter. Down to around 20 now.

Odds and sods that will split opinion but have some merit  : Monopoly Collection, Blast Works, Pacman Party,Bust a Move Bash.

Less than 20 games that would typically be considered fairly ropey. OK - I'll give you 80/20 good-to-crap.

I have other stuff that is typically reviled : Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Carnival Games 1 & 2, , Mario Sonic Olympics (3 of those - I know - the kids wanted them), Just Dance 1 & 2 (same story), 

You can argue about some games on that list and how I've categorised them - but 80/20 is pretty close. You have to consider my set up - family gaming and not much interest in solo or online and I would stand by what I have for the Wii. There isn't much I wouldn't buy again - maybe 10 or so titles.

I have 20 or so pretty good WiiWare and VC games on top of those - Wii has been a success at my house.
  • You can put Sonic Colours back on the list; as far as I know the Wii version is different from the DS one and would count as a good quality exclusive.  It's probably the best 3D Sonic game since the first Sonic Adventure.
  • Also, what's your definition of 3rd party Davy?  Are you only counting the traditional in-house Nintendo teams, rather than games developed exclusively and published by Nintendo, even if it's a flagship IP?  Also, Mad World was pretty good.  A Boy & His Blob.  The Klonoa port. A rather good remake of Broken Sword, depending on whether you like the new art.  Monkey Ball was shit, but a few of the mini-games got played for multiple hours in my house.

Kororinpa always looked good, only played it briefly.
  • Classified according to my drawers-full-o-games:

Pikmin 1 & 2 remakes, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid Other M, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charge Football, Mario Kart, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, NSMB Wii, Zelda Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Sports, Wii Play.

FlingSmash, Rhythm Paradise, Sin and Punishment 2, Another Code R, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Wario Land The Shake Dimension, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, DKC Returns, Endless Ocean 1 and 2, Boom Street, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Disaster Day of Crisis, Punch Out, Excite Truck, Animal Crossing Wii.

Pro Evo 2011, PES2012, Goldeneye, Kororinpa, RE4 Wii Edition, HOTD Overkill, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Mad World, Project Zero 2, Ivy the Kiwi, Batman Brave and the Bold, A Shadow's Tale, Rayman Origins, a Boy and his Blob, Okami, Murumasa, Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

Blast Works, Boom Blox 1 and 2, Worms Battle Islands, Anno: Create a new world, Klonoa, The Sky Crawlers, Rune Factory Frontier, Sakura Wars, Ghost Squad, Little Kings Story, Fragile Dreams, Red Steel 2, Nights 2, Trauma Centre 2nd Opinion, Zack & Wicki, BitTrip Complete, Trackmania, Metal Slug Anthology, Tatsunoku v Capcom, Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns, Rabbids Go Home, Monster Hunter Tri.

77 games - I'd probably concede no more than 5 aren't good (most likely Wii Play, Nights 2 would come under fire, but I'd defend Wii Play based on Tanks alone).

edit: same as Davy, add in another 20 wiiware titles. I assume we are pretty atypical Wii owners, but the fact there is a lot of overlap suggests the lineup is pretty damn good - and more to the point almost complete unlike the libraries of the best titles on the other systems.
  • Wii rocks!

tumblr_m5q1zuL91l1qbaj4uo1_400.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Don't know why you're sighing Davy, I didn't ask you to list them.

A lot of party games, puzzlers, lightgun shooters and rhythm games on there, none of which I'm partial to, but it seems you've hut lucky with the Wii as it caters for your tastes pretty well.

You seem to have taken this as an attack on the Wii, it isn't. There are plenty of stonking games on the machine, but to say there are over a ton of good games on there is pushing it a bit.

I love my games and consoles, but I'd struggle to name over one hundred games worth playing on any console I've ever owned. I'm sure as shit I've never even owned more that 100 games for any of my consoles.

So you've done well out of the Wii, good on you, but for me there's a lot of shit mixed in with the good stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh so I'm a Wii hater now. Jolly good.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Wii is shite. The wavey wank controller is fucking awful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!