Monsieur Webbins' 360 Revival Thread
  • Heh, best unlock myself the last couple of bikes then.

When I was setting up my new account the 360 gave me an option for 3 months Gold membership for free, if I signed up with a card for automatic renewal, can't get that back for some reason, anyone know if it's possible.

Aslo, there's a 2 months for £2 on marketplace at the minute as well however, this also requires registering a card rather than redeeming a code.

If I sign up for one of those and enter my card details to auto-renew when the offer expires, but then enter the 12 month code I got off Amazon, will this give me 14/15 months of gold and let me cancel the auto-renewal at some point after the free period expires, or will the pre-paid code disable the extra cheap/free months?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Any prepaid code you add just adds months on to the end of whatever you've already paid for.

For example, if you're six months into an annual autorenew subscription and add a 12month card, your autorenew date becomes 18 months in the future rather than 6.

Basically the autorenew against credit card is a backstop, as long as you add a pre-paid code before your current subscription (either pre-paid or credit card) runs out you'll never be charged against your card.

MS obviously want you to have a card registered so they can take subscriptions when they run out or make impulse points purchases easy so they tempt you with free/cheap months. People have had problems getting their card taken off the system without ringing MS to do it before now but I think they allow you to do it via xbox.com now, not 100% certain on that.

Personally I've never had any issue with having a credit card registered as that's how I pay for subs and points. They will send an email and pop a message on the dash 1 month before renewal is due and ask if you want to autorenew by card or not. They do that every year. So they'll never really take anything without flagging up well in advance.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, don't forget to register at http://rewards.xbox.com before buying/adding a subscription as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    People have had problems getting their card taken off the system without ringing MS to do it before now but I think they allow you to do it via xbox.com now, not 100% certain on that.

I had real issues with this and it was a complete pain in the arse to sort out, so do check that they've made it easier to get out of it.
  • Paypal seems to be a better bet to use as a payment option, you can remove it at the Paypal end rather than relying on MS allowing you.
  • Cool, I'll get myself golded up todayy then. Cheers chaps!
  • No I won't, apparently need to wait 96 hours from setting up my live account before I can join rewards. Will be tomorrow or Thursday then. Meh!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Welcome to the dark side :)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Hmm, edits to the first post don't appear to be changing anything. What's happened over the weekend?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A new editing system has been introduced. You might want to chuck Petey a PM.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Welcome back to the dark side :)

Fixed!
  • Oh yeah, they opened up rewards to Ireland as well, for the couple of others here. We get less than the UK for some reason, but whatever, as long as it's there in some form.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • You guys are totally wrong about the battery thing. Yes, there are tons and tons of awful cheap crappy ones that die after 6 months but as long as you get a decent one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5669051/Trail/searchtext>360+BATTERY.htm

I got that when it was on sale (£12 or so) about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Nice, easy storage while it's being charged and though I haven't measured it, it lasts at least eight hours, even now. If I do run out, I just switch out the battery for the other one.

I've got tons of rechargeable AA batteries but I don't use them because it's awkward taking them out to charge them and the 360 battery holder peels off the cover.
  • They where complaining about the offishul play 'n charge kit. Not 3rd party efforts.
    The official kit is a bit of a pain, a big cable running to the 360 which takes a while to charge especially if you are playing at the same time, plus it is really easy to cook the battery if you leave it plugged in after it has finished charging (which I did).

I've got a 2hr AA charger and 4 rechargeable AA's and I have a set of 2 AA's in use and a set of two charged at all times, so when batteries run out a quick F1 style pit stop later and I am going again, when I have finished my game session I pop the exhausted batteries into the charger and they go back into circulation for the next energy crisis.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not only is the official one shit, it's also, surprise surprise..

opened-xbox-battery-pack.jpg

just two AAs inside.

http://www.360tuneup.com/guides/replace-controller-battery-pack.asp

might try that actually.
  • I'm just getting a wired one so I can use it on the PC, Wireless is fab but I don't have room for connect so really don't need it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My battery pack is fucked, to the point where it constantly needs to be plugged into the plug and charge thing. I'm awful at DIY so I'm fucked.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    My battery pack is fucked, to the point where it constantly needs to be plugged into the plug and charge thing. I'm awful at DIY so I'm fucked.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bestsellers-Electronics-Household-Battery-Charger-Sets/zgbs/electronics/431407031/ref=zg_bs_nav_ce_4_431411031

Top one looks the biz and I've always heard good things about the Sanyo Eneloop models.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers Mod.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    and I've always heard good things about the Sanyo Eneloop models.
    I've got those, they're supposed to hold their charge much longer than normal rechargeable batteries. i.e. if you charge them up they'll still have 90% of their power 6 months down the line. Can't say i've noticed it much and i'd still recommend going for dedicated controller batteries like the one I linked to before because you would be charging it so often anyway.
  • Yes, there are tons and tons of awful cheap crappy ones that die after 6 months but as long as you get a decent one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5669051/Trail/searchtext>360+BATTERY.htm I got that when it was on sale (£12 or so) about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Nice, easy storage while it's being charged and though I haven't measured it, it lasts at least eight hours, even now. If I do run out, I just switch out the battery for the other one.

... which is exactly what I do with rechargeable AAs, except mine last a lot longer the 8 hours, cost half as much (including the charger), are infinitely replaceable if need be, and can be put into the TV remote in event of emergencies.

If technology's good enough to produce a decent rechargeable battery pack, then it should go without saying that it can produce a decent rechargeable AA; which is handy for those of us that don't want an LED-covered monstrosity sitting next to our 360 that you need to clip the controllers onto.
  • mlb.tv for 360 is up out here. Now if only the NBA would follow suit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'd love an American ESPN app.
  • They really need to do something about the layout of the marketplace stuff now.  Went to find the Minecraft trial.  Found the "games" tab, which then separates into "downloadable" amongst other things.  It didn't appear in any of the "new releases" bits, and there didn't appear to be any sort of bit where I could just browse the Live Arcade releases alone.

I had to search.  Search!
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That's normally a by-product of stuff (literally) just released. All the new releases stuff are right there where they should be.

That said, I preferred the old system.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    ... which is exactly what I do with rechargeable AAs, except mine last a lot longer the 8 hours, cost half as much (including the charger), are infinitely replaceable if need be, and can be put into the TV remote in event of emergencies. If technology's good enough to produce a decent rechargeable battery pack, then it should go without saying that it can produce a decent rechargeable AA; which is handy for those of us that don't want an LED-covered monstrosity sitting next to our 360 that you need to clip the controllers onto.
    Fair enough, but having used both methods I know which is by far the most convenient
  • I don't understand how it can be more convenient to have batteries with only one use, which have to be charged in one specific charger, which requires a USB connection, and takes up loads of space.  Rather, you could have batteries that can be charged in anything, used in anything, that are less than half the price, don't need to go anywhere near a USB connection, and can be used in any plug.
  • Well, because, unless i'm literally playing all day I never have to remove the battery pack. It takes up very little space and since it's charged via usb I could choose to charge it from my PC, Wii, Sky box, any plug in the house with a usb plug...etc. I choose to have it next to my xbox because it's handy there. It stores the controllers neatly for me whilst charging.

I do have batteries that can be charged in anything, used in anything, and were roughly the same price since I bought the 360 thing on sale (though the price isn't so much of a concern to me anyway when it works so well). If I need AA batteries for anything else then i'm not going to be able to use them in my 360 controller at the same time anyway.
  • adored wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Good man!  Gamertag?
    adored74 Your list is full. Everybody's list is full. I'll only ever have Mod's Trials times to try and beat [/sobs]

I've sent you a FR.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    @adored, if you click on my (or anyone elses) name in the Friend List then push right it brings up a profile page. From there select View Friends and you can easily and quickly add a bunch of people from here without the arse of typing the names in manually.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!