C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I concur.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    AND for £400 I could have a Vita, a 3DS both games and a kinder egg.
    What resolution does a Kinder egg run at?
    Not as good as it used to.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!
    Kinder eggs are shit now
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • JMW wrote:
    I've just ordered myself a Japanese 3DS, I need that sucker to stay current for as long as possible.

I was going to pick up a 3DS XL in Akiharbara for £85 quid new but guy in shop told me that it wouldn't play uk 3ds games and there was no english language selection.
    :(
  • Judging from these PS4 game reviews coming in we've all made the right choice with sticking with what we got.

I picked up MGS Collection yesterday for £9, looking forward to playing Peace Walker.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What a thrill!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Think I am actually changing my mind about getting a WiiU.

Still getting a Vita and remaining calm.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Kinda hoping this whole console generation fails. Lackluster graphical upgrades, poor frame rate and resolutions, bad business practices including an over reliance on freemium, pay to win, etc drive people away and the consoles sell poorly.

Suddenly, current game bugets are far too high to risk making anything at all and the whole thing crashes and falls apart. Been saying it for a few years now, what with games selling 2 million units being deemed "failures" due to massive budgets. A piss-poor "next-gen" offering is hardly going to fix that with a so much smaller install base than the current 8 year old systems.

Bring on the revolution.

(or buy a pc)
  • Now I'm Britside for a bit I oughta really pick up Gears J.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Now I'm Britside for a bit

Will you come to Londonstock if we promise not to unmask you?
  • Brooks wrote:
    Now I'm Britside for a bit I oughta really pick up Gears J.

I miss Gears with you and the associated gang.  Let me know if you do!
  • Brooks at Londonstock, dooooo eeeeeeett!!!

I'm playing Gears J campaign at the moment. Not sure why I'm bothering, but I shall persist and get some of my money's worth. 

I've started clearing up 360/ps3 games. Hoping to get through most of my backlog by March next year when I anticipate there might be something to tempt me to the new gen. Last Guardian release on PS4 and I'm on it. But I reckon it won't be.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • There is a thin, minute sliver of being within that makes me consider getting an XBox purely because my mates interstate have, or will have one this week. The silly thing is it would only be for CoD, which I only ever succeed at being sniperbait for 12yo idiot savants who could outswear a sailor who just had his balls kicked.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Get a 3DS and anyone of these games and get Mario 3D land for free:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (launching November 22nd)
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Luigi’s Mansion 2
    LEGO CITY® Undercover: The Chase Begins
    Sonic Lost World (Nintendo 3DS version)
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Nintendo 3DS version)
    Pokémon X
    Pokémon Y
    Bravely Default (launching December 6th)
    New Super Mario Bros. 2
    Mario Kart 7
    Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That's  good deal, they need to do another buy 3 get 4th free deal, surely that must have worked for them?
  • That buy 3 get a 4th free was a good way to push software in the summer when games sales are at their lowest, they don't really need it with the xmas rush. Hopefully we'll see it again next summer.

I'm gutted I didn't take advantage of that Argos offer of an XL with 2 Layton games for £150 now. Would have been a good way to upgrade from my OG 3DS, could have sold that on ebay with my retail SM3DL and come close to breaking even. Bugger!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Elmlea wrote:
    I'm kind of unimpressed with the new machines because at this stage there isnt anything new they are able to do.
    What new stuff did the SNES do over the NES?  What new stuff did the PS1 do over the legacy machines?  PS2 over PS1?  Xbox over the PS1-era machines?  GameCube over N64? I don't think you need a big "new thing;"  the same but better works well for me.

Off the bat, the SNES brought mode 7, shoulder buttons (I kid not) and better graphics to the home consoles - even taking into account the megadrive. The PS1 (and n64 which was the same gen really) launched the 3d era. We went from the fx powered stunt racer fx to ridge racer. There seems less of a jump from ps1 to ps2 alright, but it could be argued that the ps2 helped cement dvd as the visual format. If we count dreamcast and xbox in with the ps2 era, we also saw the first real breakthrough in online console gaming.  Come the 360 and ps3 we got machines that were really aimed at the multimedia market, proper hd graphics, built in hard drives, wireless controllers and the online scene hit full speed.

This gen has its moments too. Thing is, we may need to wait a bit to see what really emerges from both consoles. (by this gen I mean the xbone and ps4)
    SFV - reddave360
  • I got that Layton deal, it was a pretty good offer. Just need to flog the games now as I have no interest in doing maths homework for fun.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm kind of unimpressed with the new machines because at this stage there isnt anything new they are able to do.
    What new stuff did the SNES do over the NES?  What new stuff did the PS1 do over the legacy machines?  PS2 over PS1?  Xbox over the PS1-era machines?  GameCube over N64? I don't think you need a big "new thing;"  the same but better works well for me.
    Off the bat, the SNES brought mode 7, shoulder buttons (I kid not) and better graphics to the home consoles - even taking into account the megadrive. The PS1 (and n64 which was the same gen really) launched the 3d era. We went from the fx powered stunt racer fx to ridge racer. There seems less of a jump from ps1 to ps2 alright, but it could be argued that the ps2 helped cement dvd as the visual format. If we count dreamcast and xbox in with the ps2 era, we also saw the first real breakthrough in online console gaming.  Come the 360 and ps3 we got machines that were really aimed at the multimedia market, proper hd graphics, built in hard drives, wireless controllers and the online scene hit full speed. This gen has its moments too. Thing is, we may need to wait a bit to see what really emerges from both consoles. (by this gen I mean the xbone and ps4)

you forgot socom on ps2 for online.
    (my 1st real taste outside of quake and ut lan sessions)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Fentonizer wrote:

This is a fantastic article. I wonder if a lot of apathy towards the console transition is because the greatest bastion of originality at this moment is in the tablet/indie market rather than the AAA console space (or B-game console space).

Its almost like the mid-80s demo scene tapes or early 90s shareware time when you had a creative explosion thanks to really easy distribution and cheap price of entry.

Console games are becoming expensive, risk averse $100 million projects these days, and that becomes hard to sell new machines on when the experiences aren't greatly different from what we already have (yet).

Thats why its good to see a move towards the indie type games on the new consoles, and hopefully they become more important than annualised series. Healthy, diverse gaming depends on it more than just more consolidation under the EA/Activision/Ubisoft umbrellas.
  • Got ultra sf4 and Dark Souls 2 in march. I've got two years in my current 'soles at least.
  • Vela wrote:
    ... I wonder if a lot of apathy towards the console transition is because the greatest bastion of originality at this moment is in the tablet/indie market rather than the AAA console space (or B-game console space). Its almost like the mid-80s demo scene tapes or early 90s shareware time when you had a creative explosion thanks to really easy distribution and cheap price of entry. Console games are becoming expensive, risk averse $100 million projects these days, and that becomes hard to sell new machines on when the experiences aren't greatly different from what we already have (yet). Thats why its good to see a move towards the indie type games on the new consoles, and hopefully they become more important than annualised series. Healthy, diverse gaming depends on it more than just more consolidation under the EA/Activision/Ubisoft umbrellas.
    Totally agree - I look to the indie/small studio scene these days for the short, interesting new ideas and gameplay.

AAA is the hollywood summer blockbuster that's good for a comfortable blast. Indie scene for the weird shit and leftfield ideas.
  • Yep, there is nothing wrong with big dumb action blockbuster things. There is a problem when diversity takes a hit, though.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Now I'm Britside

Yard?
  • Norfolk.

Guys I'm not too impressed with the 'pro' Indie space either now.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Figured as much on hearing, but I had the previous impression that Tokes was semi-perma. Like, years.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good summary of the next gen from the Metro/GameCentral chaps here.
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/21/xbox-one-or-ps4-which-console-is-best-4196619/

Rings true to me, both good machines but there just isn't a good enough reason to stump up £350+ yet, so it's sensible to hang fire and wait for something you can't do without.
  • This is a hard night to be an outtie.
  • Rings true to me, both good machines but there just isn't a good enough reason to stump up £350+ yet, so it's sensible to hang fire and wait for something you can't do without.
    Yep.

I think someone said earlier what I've been thinking. If all the new consoles' games were coming out on 360, even in their extra shiny form, would I buy any of them? And the answer's probably no.
  • Right, I'm off down Tesco to see what's what.

No, shit, wait.

I do think the WiiU has the best exclusives this Xmas.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!