The not buying an XBone/PS4 thread of waiting for all this to blow over
  • What resolution does the Kindle run CoD at?

Enough terraflops thats how many.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What resolution does the Kindle run CoD at?

Enough terraflops thats how many.

I got there late, but the page turn seems to have hidden my shame. Sorry Yoss.
  • danclarke wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Do you know I have no idea why I wanted games consoles as a child. I don't remember any specific games or graphics or anything that made me go "Ooooh...must have" yet I've always played them. I just enjoyed the ones I tried and so got them as presents I think. I know I bought my 3DS purely for Animal Crossing, other than that I can't think of a single experience or game that made me buy any of my consoles.
    Yep - why do people seem to go apeshit about 720/1080, yet in the same breath will rationally explain why they'd prefer the 3DS over the Vita?

Exactly. I mean I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but even 1080p WiiU stuff probably won't look nearly as good as Xbone stuff at 720.

But on the other hand I'd bet new Mario will play like a fucking dream.
  • Mario 64 (first saw footage on Bad Influence kid tv programme, jaw dropped), MGS (Playstation Magazine demo disk) and MGS2 (ZOE demo) were my WOW games. I would like to hope that I can be wow'd again somewhere down the line...
  • danclarke wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    Do you know I have no idea why I wanted games consoles as a child. I don't remember any specific games or graphics or anything that made me go "Ooooh...must have" yet I've always played them. I just enjoyed the ones I tried and so got them as presents I think. I know I bought my 3DS purely for Animal Crossing, other than that I can't think of a single experience or game that made me buy any of my consoles.
    Yep - why do people seem to go apeshit about 720/1080, yet in the same breath will rationally explain why they'd prefer the 3DS over the Vita?

Gameplay? There's nothing on the Vita that would tempt me but on the DS - as long as you can wade through the mountains of crap they release on it - there's tons of good stuff.
  • Also the 720/1080 argument has flared with games that are otherwise identical across the two platforms. 3DS and Vita games are rarely even similar.
  • AND for £400 I could have a Vita, a 3DS both games and a kinder egg.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    danclarke wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:

Gameplay? There's nothing on the Vita that would tempt me but on the DS - as long as you can wade through the mountains of crap they release on it - there's tons of good stuff.

Think you've missed my point - what I'm saying is that people will scream and shout until they're blue in the face about resolutions and all that bollocks on a home console - then (rightfully) argue the virtues of the 3DS over the Vita.

My recent uptake in time on the 3DS is probably one of the main reasons I'm not jumping for next gen at launch.

• On the 3ds vs vita you aren't comparing like with like, Mario 3dland has no equivalent on vita.

Whereas in the console race you have ms asking for £430 to play "next gen" battlefield @720 rez vs Sony asking for £350 to play battlefield @1080p rez.

its playing identical games, but paying next gen prices for experiences that should be available today. (given how this gen of consoles was advertised as being HD and everything)
  • There's an awful lot of next gen talk in this thread.

I think y'all should go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.
  • Coo - Soul Calibur looks pretty over VGA.
  • I think I'll be spending the next year playing catch-up with the many digital games I've downloaded (PS+ is a blessing and a curse), not to mention some of the retail games that I've missed along the way, plus there's Destiny and Titanfall next Spring and many others, I'm sure.

Speaking of catching up, I've finally gone back to Serious Sam 3 (bought when it came out on XBLA) and think I'll have it done in the next day or so. Even picked up The First and Second Encounter while they're cheap, adding more fuel to the fire.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think you're spot on there Chief

On my immediate list are

GTA V
    WW HD
    Zombie U
    Earthbound
    Luigis mansion 2
    Fire Emblem
    TLoU
    Far Cry 3
    Borderlands 2
    X-Com

In fact looking at that list I would say it probably outshines the launch list for both PS4 and XB1.
  • Vela wrote:
    I'm kind of unimpressed with the new machines because at this stage there isnt anything new they are able to do.

What new stuff did the SNES do over the NES?  What new stuff did the PS1 do over the legacy machines?  PS2 over PS1?  Xbox over the PS1-era machines?  GameCube over N64?

I don't think you need a big "new thing;"  the same but better works well for me.
  • I think all your examples did bring new things. Like 3d. They all had clear generational jumps apart in capabilities.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    What new stuff did the SNES do over the NES?

MODE 7!
    Elmlea wrote:
    What new stuff did the PS1 do over the legacy machines?  PS2 over PS1?  Xbox over the PS1-era machines?  GameCube over N64? I don't think you need a big "new thing;"  the same but better works well for me.

PS1 introduced (or popularised) fmv and actual arcade quality ports back when that was a huge deal. PS1/N64/Saturn were all doing 3D with polygons as opposed to sprites.

XBox (and to a lesser extent PS2 and DC) introduced online console multiplayer in a meaningful sense.

But that is getting away from the spirit of my original comment on the debate. I appreciate it is not an empirical claim, but the problem for me with the next gen is there isn't anything that to me defines it as a clear jump ahead - and this is made especially clear when pretty much every game has a cross-gen version coming out the same month.

There is no Mario 64, Soul Calibur, Wii Sports, or even MGS2 teaser video to demonstrate why the new machines are a meaningful leap over what already exists.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, to add, this is of course all subjective - I'm not arguing in absolutes. For me, GC was justified by an N64 port of Animal Forest (ie Crossing). For others, it might not have been until Metroid Prime.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Think you're spot on there Chief On my immediate list are GTA V WW HD Zombie U Earthbound Luigis mansion 2 Fire Emblem TLoU Far Cry 3 Borderlands 2 X-Com In fact looking at that list I would say it probably outshines the launch list for both PS4 and XB1.
    Given that most of those games are shining examples from a whole generation I would expect them to outshine the games on consoles that are only 1 day old.

The thing for me is that I have been ready for a new generation for the last 2 years at the very least.
  • The other main issue is that there is so much crossover between the gens in terms of games it really questions what kind of upgrade we are getting. It might be that the new gens are just upscalinh oldgen stuff in their stride but the facts are that xbone isn't even able to 1080p a current gen game.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    The other main issue is that there is so much crossover between the gens in terms of games it really questions what kind of upgrade we are getting.
    I agree, that really is quite a big thorn in the side of these upcoming launches. When you have the most popular games (Battlefield, CoD, FIFA) all readily already available on this gen and even one of the most anticipated titles (Titanfall) launching on both this and next gen it should be clear that it will effect your sales/take-up.
    It might be that the new gens are just upscalinh oldgen stuff in their stride but the facts are that xbone isn't even able to 1080p a current gen game.
    I wouldn't worry about that too much. Don't forget that it is pushing out a 1080/60 version of Forza so there is obviously some scope involved, plus given the power of these new consoles and seeing what we are getting out current hardware I am in no doubt that we will be seeing some pretty funky stuff, obviously this doesn't help with initial sales but it does bode well for the future.
  • Well I've just started playing Last of Us, so that's going to keep me occupied for a while. And I still have Alan Wake and Sims 3 in the cellophane wrappers, so should probably dig those out at some point.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm gutted that I paid for the campaign dlc for The Last of Us and yet I'll now not get to play it.
  • Why won't you get to play it?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Why won't you get to play it?
    The 360 and PS3 are both going to the great GAME trade-in heaven on Sunday.
  • Ahh ok. Shame you've already used the code, you could have sent it to meeeee :)

I have a Day One xbox preordered but I think I'm gonna give it a miss. Oh well, the £20 voucher is pretty much someone's Christmas present now I guess.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    AND for £400 I could have a Vita, a 3DS both games and a kinder egg.

What resolution does a Kinder egg run at?
  • OP updated.

Also didn't realise Layton was out over here. The TBA 2014 was for NA. Berks.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    AND for £400 I could have a Vita, a 3DS both games and a kinder egg.
    What resolution does a Kinder egg run at?

Not as good as it used to.
  • Any fans of God of War here? I've played them all apart from Ascension.

Gears Judgement and God Ascension both had the same vibe to me, more of a quick cash in as oppose to a proper new entry/sequel in their respective series.

I was very dissapointed in Judgement and have subsequently held of on Ascension in fear of the same.

Anyone played it? It worth picking up or should I wait for IV on PS4?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!