The not buying an XBone/PS4 thread of waiting for all this to blow over
  • If youre not sure, wait.

Safest buying principle ever.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Your thread was even worse than the next-gem thread. It was the Wii U of threads.
  • adored wrote:
    PS4 PS+ deals even though you don't have the machine like you can with Vita?

This I would very much like to know.

Agreed. I hate to think on all the PS+ PS4 goodies I'll be missing out on not having the console. Could add up to a decent amount of content in a year when I'll be thinking of picking one up.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a nice thought, but I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if they drew the line at that.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I can't see them allowing you to 'pre-load' all the PS4 PS+ stuff unless you actually own the console. That'd be suicide on their part - giving away a years worth of stuff while everyone waits for a price drop.

Anyway this thread is shit etc. OXNO 4 LIFE.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    The silence over the larceny of my thread by Fenton is contemptible. Where is the admonition? Where is the disapprobation? No one called him a cunt; let it be understood that I take this as a personal insult. There will be consequences. You don't mug oxno off and get away with it.

I am sorry. Mine had a pop culture reference though. It's bourgeois.

I'm going to add to the OP, namely the top ~10 games for each console, so even if you don't want anything new, you can make sure you're up to date on the old shit.
  • Curtis wrote:
    I can't see them allowing you to 'pre-load' all the PS4 PS+ stuff unless you actually own the console. That'd be suicide on their part - giving away a years worth of stuff while everyone waits for a price drop.

Anyway this thread is shit etc. OXNO 4 LIFE.
    They allowed it with the vita and i wouldn't have bought one without all the stuff I'd been able to store on Plus.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The only console i'm likely to buy before summer next year is a 2DS and that's for Pokemon. Dark Souls 2 might even be a PC buy rather than console.
  • I never thought I'd be in this thread, but a trip into GAME the other day made me realise there's not a single game on launch day for either console I want, so I really need to just cancel my preorders and be done with it.

I have a pile of shame on 360 and PS3 that must crack 20-25 titles. Plus, with resolutiongate etc, I'm genuinely concerned there might be a bit of a performance gap between the 2 consoles, so maybe I really should wait and pick one.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm going to have a look at my pile of shame, and stuff I've yet to buy for the three current gen consoles. I've got a feeling it's going to be long.
  • This thread is disregarding #YOLO
  • ZMM wrote:
    This thread is disregarding #YOLO
    So should everything.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    adored wrote:
    They allowed it with the vita and i wouldn't have bought one without all the stuff I'd been able to store on Plus.

Two completely different freebie scenarios:

One a (once) struggling handheld.
    The other their brand new next-gen console.

I'd like to be proven wrong. Time'll tell.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Oh my god, THE RESOLUTION'S LOWER IN HERE!
    10742762996_fd95ec7f82_o.jpg
  • Very good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Layton is out TODAY for Europeans. TBA for yanks.
  • Also not truly in the spirit of the thread but I might pick up Mario 3d world when I buy my ps4 just for the lol.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    adored wrote:

Two completely different freebie scenarios:

One a (once) struggling handheld.
    The other their brand new next-gen console.

I'd like to be proven wrong. Time'll tell.

How can they stop it? Just get a mate to log you in from their ps4 once a month.

Plus the inevitable uproar if they announced it.
  • I'm kind of unimpressed with the new machines because at this stage there isnt anything new they are able to do. (Aside from Wii U's second screen, you could say the same about it I guess - but since no new Wii games come out anymore the update is mandatory if you like their first party titles).

What bugs me about the new ones is that there are two major issues:
    1. The new functionality (download services, game sharing via portable accounts) are unavailable or impractical in my country. We have poor internet speeds and/or download quotas, and things like Netflix/Hulu etc will not be coming here any time soon. Half of the advertised features are not going to apply to Australians.

2. Where is the new stuff? So far, most of the games announced are cross-generation, so BF4, CoD12, Assassins Creed 8 and the like are all on current systems. Future games like Thief 4, MGSV, GT6 are all getting current gen versions too. When we went from PS2 era to the current systems, we had a combination of motion control, HD and universal online as things that had never been done before. What have we got this time?

I understand that technology is obviously better. I understand Resogun throws around voxels like candy. I understand Dead Rising has lots more zombies. I know you can get far better picture quality and performance in Battlefield 4. That in itself is not disputed.

What I would like to know is this: Where is the analog control revolution? Where is the waggle that opens up new potential? Where is the equivalent quantum leap that was XBox Live when it became essential?

I just feel all the new machines lack that something special. For now, at least.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah but New Is Always Better.

I'm severely hampered for both cash and free time, so I'll be making the most of the WiiU and 360 combo for a good couple of years.

I feel like this is some sort of watershed for my gaming hobby. I just don't need a new console right now.

So yeah, sign me up for this luddite club.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still reckon that there's potential in Kinect 2 (yeah, yeah, I know, no interest in wavy-wavy blah*), but we'll have to wait and see if it gets used for something good.

*not you particularly, Vela, just the majority of those that will read this.
  • I'm sure there is potential in Kinect, or rather, video detection software. I'm just not convinced Microsoft are capable of making the most of it with their current lack of direction.

It might be an idea whose time won't come for a while, just like VR in the 1990s.
  • Wrong thread Yoss.

I'll probably take advantage of the first part of next gen to catch up on some 3DS games. Since I still only own the one. And there are a few PC games I'd like to get too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am not bound by your petty thread distinctions.
  • Yep count me in. 

I can wait as I have a huge amount of games to still get through and absolutely nothing excites me on the next gen yet - Eurogamer Expo confirmed this for me. 

I am interested in getting a Wii U however but i'm in no hurry.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Currently playing Arkham City, Halo 4, Castlestorm, Fifa and NHL 14 with The Last Of Us and a stackload of PS+ titles to try out. Add to that the frightning list in the OP and Lego Marvel also.

Yep, I'm sticking with what I have.
  • Ooh not long for Lego Marvel.
  • Still don't understand why the US got it last month. Though EU Steam users could buy it at the same time as the US, oddly.
  • I just don't think there's enough to impress me with the next gen consoles to warrant a purchase. 
    I don't want "more of the same just a bit shinier" I want to walk past a screen with a next gen game playing and be stopped in my tracks, I want a "woah! DID YOU SEE THAT?!" Moment.

So far it hasn't come.
    Till then I have a massive stack of games to work my way through with this gen
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!