The not buying an XBone/PS4 thread of waiting for all this to blow over
  • I'm with Wookie on this one, at the moment.

But I think I might have that 'woah!' moment with The Division...(if that's what it's called?)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye The Division is up there, alright.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • What were your past "wow" moments, wookie? Coopers?

I'd have to say the standouts to me in the past have been (as in, games that on first appearances have made me utter the word "sold" on the spot):

Ridge Racer PSP - phenomenal first impressions on handheld visuals
    Zoo Keeper DS (got addicted to the store demo)
    Sonic Adventure
    Tekken 2
    Mario 64

That's pretty much it for me. Those games, whilst not all typical, pretty much justified a console based on actually playing them somewhere else. But other games like Wii Sports, MGS2, MGS1 (visuals), Super Monkey Ball, Goldeneye and Soul Calibur were the ones that really justified the upgrade.

I havent yet seen anything on the new systems that has made me curious about them, since everything seems quite safe for now. Wii U, as bad as its demo has been, looked interesting with Project P100 which was demoed quite quietly (then became Wonderful 101).

Hopefully something interesting comes along soon.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Past WOW moments for me were:
    Mario 64
    MGS2
    Gears of War
    WoW
    Ocarina of Time
    MGS
    Super MARIO World
    Sonic Adventure
    Luigis Mansion
    Wind Waker
    Each one sold me a new console or PC upgrade.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Playing Wipeout for about 20 seconds was sufficient for me to decide to get a PS1.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Seeing a mate play an imported copy of Goldeneye was enough to convince me to get an N64. Seeing the same mate playing MGS was enough to convince me to get a PS3.
  • My brother's mate brought his N64 over, they went out and I sneakily played M64 for 5 hours straight.
    What followed was a year of nagging about getting an N64.
  • Still have tons to play personally, not got round to dishonoured or bioshock infinite yet. Destiny should be on the list in the OP surely?
  • Playing Super Mario 64 as a 11 year old in Argos was like WTF how is this even possible.

Then when i was 15 and first played Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike online on a dial up modem, couldn't believe playing real people!! Felt like i'd found some crazy awesome secret.
  • monkey wrote:
    Playing Wipeout for about 20 seconds was sufficient for me to decide to get a PS1.
    Yeah, me too. Although once I got it I got bored of it pretty quickly and it was Ridge Racer that I actually kept playing.

And M64 was another one. Was trying to not spend money on a new console then I had a go on my mate's 64 and had to have it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Technical achievements that made you want to buy a new console include

Mario 64 obviously - the quality of the animation and when Mario jumped through the picture into the first level was simply amazing, that ripple effect.

Tekken - I already had a Saturn when I spotted someone playing this on the PS1 in HMV and was so envious it made me sell my Saturn and buy the PS1. It was the amazing animation that you just couldn't see in screen shots.

Halo - yes the Edge review had me sold, but watching the intro to The Silent Cartographer was a real step forward in video games, both as presentation and gameplay. Running up the beach with your marines, elites diving behind rocks and grunts running and screaming put a big old smile on my face.

This next gen? We have dogs in COD :-/
  • To an extent I'd also say Wii Sports too. It was never going to be the greatest game ever but seeing something that looked genuinely different at the time definitely got my interest.
  • Vela wrote:
    Zoo Keeper DS

LOVE this game. Sooooo many hours wasted.
  • JonB wrote:
    To an extent I'd also say Wii Sports too. It was never going to be the greatest game ever but seeing something that looked genuinely different at the time definitely got my interest.

Agreed, when I first swung my arm with that Wiimote and hit the ball in Tennis a child like grin appeared, definitely a special moment in gaming imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Zoo Keeper DS
    LOVE this game. Sooooo many hours wasted.
    is this anything like Zoo Tycoon? I must say that I am tempted to give the new one a go...
  • Zoo Keeper DS is a match 3 puzzle game where the tiles shake as the time runs out.

STOP SHAKING YOU FUCKING GIRAFFES!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I think it's a puzzle game. One of those tile matching type games, no? I may be wrong.

Edit: ah, I was right. Thanks Vela. I might hunt it down.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    To an extent I'd also say Wii Sports too. It was never going to be the greatest game ever but seeing something that looked genuinely different at the time definitely got my interest.
    Totally agree, as a system seller that game was lethal.

• Oh I forgot - I bought my Gamecube because of Resident Evil remake. Still havent finished it (though I sort of have with a co-op playthrough with friends).

Monkey Target distracted me big time.

Also Advance Wars DS was a perfect must get for the DS and the day it came out was the day I got the system.
  • I bought a GBA SP when Advance Wars came out.
  • Super Monkey Ball! Shit that was a good game
  • Still is.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Silent Hill 2 was the game that told me that PS2 was "next generation" at the time. It's still gorgeous today, one of those games that'll likely hold up forever.

Helps that it's a stunning game to play, too.
  • Agree with all of the above - that's been the main thing for me: the fact that theres nothing in either launch line up that won't feel like a current gen experience once the sheen has worn off.

I've got no doubt that within the next 12 months there'll be something that will sell me on one or the other - and I came to the realisation yesterday that it might not even be a game.

Having seen the video of the XB1 UI and the level of interaction with the NFL stuff - if they can find a compelling equivalent for the Premier League (and surely they must be in talks with Sky etc) this could be a tipping point for me.

I'm excited for all of the hyperbole that will follow in the next few weeks - even more so knowing I don't need to put out £400+ just to be part of it.
  • My parents came round today. Pretty sure they were hinting at asking if I wanted a next gen console for xmas but told them I want a kindle.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The resolution on a Kindle sucks, and don't even get me started on the frame rate.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What resolution does the Kindle run CoD at?
  • Do you know I have no idea why I wanted games consoles as a child. I don't remember any specific games or graphics or anything that made me go "Ooooh...must have" yet I've always played them. I just enjoyed the ones I tried and so got them as presents I think.

I know I bought my 3DS purely for Animal Crossing, other than that I can't think of a single experience or game that made me buy any of my consoles.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    Do you know I have no idea why I wanted games consoles as a child. I don't remember any specific games or graphics or anything that made me go "Ooooh...must have" yet I've always played them. I just enjoyed the ones I tried and so got them as presents I think.

I know I bought my 3DS purely for Animal Crossing, other than that I can't think of a single experience or game that made me buy any of my consoles.

Yep - why do people seem to go apeshit about 720/1080, yet in the same breath will rationally explain why they'd prefer the 3DS over the Vita?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!