Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • davyK wrote:
    Recorded Carpenter's Vampires last night. Is it worth a watch?
    It's one of the better Late-Carpenter films - for my money not a patch on the Apocalypse Trilogy and 80s run, but waaaay better than Ghosts of Mars and Escape From LA.
    James Woods is always reliable, and there's some fun world-building and vampire-hunting ideas.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    Well he sounds like a charming fella.

Yeah not a nice chap. Even as a friend he made you nervous.

That film just reminds me of the uncomfortable feeling of being around him and you ending uo in dodgy situations because of him.

Jesus, he sounds like a nightmare. I'd throw a D'bo gif up if I knew how. There's always the odd one nutter acquaintance or mate. Where abouts in Brum were you Minky? I'm from Wolves but worked all over Birmingham for nearly 10 years.

Great barr. The pheasey estate. Just up the road from kingstanding and handsworth

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK wrote:
    Recorded Carpenter's Vampires last night. Is it worth a watch?

I really enjoyed it.
  • 10. Sing 2 - 29/1
    Day out with the kids. Vue seats, nachos and cheese, not as good as Odeon (Luxe). Milkshake is nice, paper straw? I’m all for reducing plastic but fuck off with your paper fucking straw. I managed not even a quarter of the shake before it disintegrated. I’m going to have to invest in a reusable metal straw or something for such occasions. Oh yeah. The movie. 
    Meh. Wasn’t funny, wasn’t entertaining enough. Even the kids weren’t impressed. First half was trash. Second half was better; I would totally watch a performance like that in real life. Song selection was decent.  
    [5]

11. The Tragedy of Macbeth - 30/1
    Well. It’s Macbeth. Beautiful with great performance by the leads. That is all. 
    [8]

12. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 30/1
    Found this one somewhat boring. 
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    11. Caché
    For some reason I'd expected this to be a fast paced thriller but it turned out to be a real slow burner, both in style and story. Lots of lingering shots and small details exposed sparingly. It ratchets up the tension and uses that incredibly effectively throughout, almost becomes unbearable at times. A really pleasant surprise. [7]

12. Nobody
    The John Wick comparisons are probably inescapable but there's a streak of dark humour in this that does enough to set it apart. Odenkirk being an unexpected protagonist certainly adds to that but the execution of the fights and stunt work is pretty flawless throughout - the bus fight a standout for me. Overall, bloody great fun. [8]

13. The Toll
    Low budget modern Western interpretation - West Wales in this case. Bit of a mixed bag, there are some great characters but the level of performances don't always match those (maybe some amateur actors?) so it's left to Smiley to do most of the heavy lifting and it carries the film for the most part. It's very clever, lots of subtle genre references and some hearty laughs but the finale of overlapping stories doesn't quite bring it all together. [5]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I fancy watching Nobody but I'm waiting for it appear on a sub service. We pay enough each month.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    It’s on sky/now tv if you’ve got one or t’other.

• Minkymu wrote:

Great barr. The pheasey estate. Just up the road from kingstanding and handsworth

Ah Great Barr, gods country.
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:

Ah Great Barr, gods country.

If gods country is a bit of a shithole lol
    PSN - minkymu
  • 17. #Alive
    South Korea really does churn out the old zombie themed film and TV doesn't it? This is a story about a shut-in Twitch streamer who finds himself trapped in his apartment by a zombie virus. It does absolutely nothing new but it's a diverting way to spend 90 or so minutes. 6
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dune pt.1  Rewatched it on BluRay. This is a great adaption of the book for me. Does that make it a great film though? I don't know. But this is a superb job. Of course it won't please everyone because of the nature of the book but it's more than good enough for me.

Beautiful world building, great cast, great soundtrack. And it's paced pretty well. I didn't feel there was any really slow parts which one tends to notice with a rewatch.

I'm well up for pt.2
  • Man I haaaaaated #Alive. I think because there was so many stupid decisions throughout and nothing original. Can't believe I got through it all.

It's been surprising how big Dune has been. Over here it's still showing in most cinemas at a time when other big releases like Bond haven't lasted that long. Good to see that the broader audience is still up for something different than the usual Marvel blockbuster fare. Reminds me of how IT Part 1 was a bigger hit than people were expecting too.

Hopefully Dune 2 is better than IT 2...
  • You've got much higher standards than me though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Dune pt.1

And it's paced pretty well. I didn't feel there was any really slow parts which one tends to notice with a rewatch.

I'm well up for pt.2

I felt there were slow parts first time around which I didn't notice second time (probably due to being impressed with IMAX), although I do think it could end a little sooner especially now the sequel is on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    . Hopefully Dune 2 is better than IT 2...

Such a pity they chickened out with part 2. It turned into a ghost train which was fun and not "It".
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The whole of It was already a ghost train. That second film might have been okay had they not fumbled the ending.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not watched either of the recent Its, but surely fumbling the ending is just staying true to the source material?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One would imagine King would be so filmable but the good adaptations are very much in the minority.

Green Mile is almost word for word the book.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Not watched either of the recent Its, but surely fumbling the ending is just staying true to the source material?

The book's ending is unfilmable - wasn't it a battle on the spirit plane recreating a childhood game of hitting each other on the head with mouth held spoons or something?

Forgive me if that's way off - it's been some time.  Under The Dome's ending was equally unfilmable - something about talking to giant alien kids with boxes for heads.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Best King adaptation for me remains Stand by Me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

This is true. King is terrible at ending his books.

Yossarian wrote:
    Best King adaptation for me remains Stand by Me.

This is also true.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

The book's ending is unfilmable - wasn't it a battle on the spirit plane recreating hitting each other on the head with spoons or somehing?

No, It turns out to be

Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The book's ending is unfilmable - wasn't it a battle on the spirit plane recreating hitting each other on the head with spoons or somehing?
    No, It turns out to be
    Spoiler:

Heh.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

No, It turns out to be

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    The whole of It was already a ghost train. That second film might have been okay had they not fumbled the ending.

The sequel fucked the flow of the film by having it be the separate ghost train stories one after another. Would have made for good individual episodes of a tv series but not so much vignettes in a movie. A couple of them were great on their own but it felt disjointed as a film. I think they were perhaps a little too faithful to the book with that one and should have focussed on making it a good movie.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I would certainly agree that the narrative flow of the book would suit a TV series rather than film. First film was great fun, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • 18. 12 Years a Slave
    Finally got around to watching this quite frankly astonishing film and it occurred to me that I was struggling to think of many other 'serious' films that have been made about slavery in my lifetime. Amistad is the only one I can come up with (Django Unchained doesn't count, although I might watch that tomorrow to get some fictional revenge closure from the trauma that this film showed). The counterpoints of the stunning beauty of the cinematography against the raw brutality of the life of a slave in the South is really quite something. As are the performances of the entire cast, with everyone - even smaller parts - firing on all cylinders and then some. The three main cast members - Ejiofor, N'Yongo and Fassbender - are incredible. Not a film that I'm likely to watch again, but one that'll stay with me for a while. 10
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Great film that.
  • 19. The Revenant
    Or, the punishment of DiCaprio. Another movie that places the stunning beauty of the environment and cinematography against the brutality of the events happening within in. DiCaprio is superb, as are Tom Hardy and Will Poulter but the sheer audacity of some of the long takes and the intensity they bring to the film are what made it for me. As Westerns go it's right up there with the best. 10
  • That opening ambush scene sure lives long in the memory.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!