Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • The Hunt (2020)
    Fun one on UK Netflix right now - if you like B-Movie action/comedy/horror like Feast, I figure you'd like this. You can feel the Blum and Lindelof fingerprints all over it, and Gilpin is fantastic.
  • 15. Clueless
    Perfectly rewatchable slice of the 90s. Plotless, pointless but totally endearing and cute. A Baldwin of a film. 8

16. The Gentlemen
    A rewatch of this fairly decent Guy Ritchie caper. Strong performances from all and Ritchie's trademark banter doesn't grate as much as usual. A half point for The Toddlers tracksuits, drip game is strong. 7.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Pig.

Had no idea what to expect as I based my selection on a brief description.  Actually that's not quite true - I was expecting a John Wick/Taken 'someone's rattled his cage' revengeance/rescue thing.  This is not that, and it's much better for it.  Enjoyable, quirky and original.  A very pleasant surprise. [8]
  • Also seen the following this year:

Suicide Squad 2021 [7]
    Nobody [8]
    Star Wars Episode IV [8]
    Star Wars Episode V [9]
    Star Wars Episode VI [7]
    Star Wars Episode I [6] This wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting/half remembered.  Some shit elements but it's quite enjoyable on the whole.  I suppose I'll have to rewatch the others now as I'm watching with my daughter, who latched on to SW due to a Yoda/seagulls lip-sync Youtube video.  Never finished Episode II 'cos it was rubbish and didn't think much of Episode III, so I guess I'm having Episode I as the best of the prequels by a mile.  Come at me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I thought the prequels were OK. They completed the story arc and stepped up the fan service as they got nearer to Ep.IV.

Of course the dialogue and acting was wooden. Who watches Star Wars for that? The script and direction made even Natalie Portman look wooden (still gorgeous in Ep2 and 3 though).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, they're fucking terrible. They killed the Star Wars fan in me. Can't stand any of the films anymore and that's directly due to the prequels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can see why. Lucas' selection of that wee lad in Episode 1 was the beginning of the end. There's that video of him going all gooey eyed during the auditions. All Star Wars fans were fucked from that point on.

When it comes to hokum (which is Star Wars) my taste is in the gutter. I'm so easy to please with that type of film I'm an apologist for most tripe. But I draw a line at Episodes 8 and 9.  Ep8 was just a pile of contrived shit (though I liked the hyperspace jump scene) and Ep9 wiped out the point of Eps1-6 and the Vader story arc. So fuck that in the bin.
  • At least Episode 8 was a decent standalone movie, though, just a shit Star Wars. 1-3 were just plain bad! 3 was ok, but there’s no forgiving 1 and 2. Ever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 10. Face Off
    Peach, I could eat a peach for hoourrrs
    [9]
  • 22. Encanto
    Lovely Disney animation with some great songs, great music and amusing donkeys. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 23. Event Horizon
    Haven't seen this for 23 years but thought I'd see if it was as scary as I remember it being. It's actually not bad - it's a medium budget sci-fi that actually looks cheaper than the $60m it cost. First 2/3 is pretty great creepy sci-fi but suffers from characters making decisions that make the scientists in Prometheus look like risk averse logic Gods. Last third is absolute pish and the ending is baffling. Would like to have seen the original 2.5hr cut. 6
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What were the dopey decisions? I remember captain fishbone wanting to mope the fuck out as soon as they arrived but something stopped them?
  • 22. Belfast
    It doesn't stray far out of the expected lanes for this kind of movie but it's still a very good one. The main kid is great and you can feel some elements were pulled straight from memory in the way they were shot.
    [8]
  • 14. Don’t Look Up - 11/2
    Not exactly subtle in its commentary, but it still works as a satire. Didn’t get any proper laughs, just a few giggles, and it didn’t have any performances of note. Too long, and was irritating in places. Some lovely imagery in the final scene(s) though.  
    [6]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Family trip to the cinema for Encanto. Pretty decent for a Disney.
  • What were the dopey decisions? I remember captain fishbone wanting to mope the fuck out as soon as they arrived but something stopped them?
    Crew members constantly going off by themselves despite all of the mental shit happening. It was like they were all absolutely determined to get killed. The whole film just felt like there was bits missing that would have helped it make a bit more sense - it feels very rushed.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    18. The Lost Daughter
    So many ‘that guy/gal’ faces in this almost distracted from a wonderful film. It simultaneously manages to carry an air of menace but also an ethereal quality throughout as time periods slip in and out, teasing details and possibilities. Colman is superb (as always seems to be the case) and I’m definitely keen to see what Maggie Gyllenhaal does next. [8]

19. Pig
    I obviously didn’t read/remember Moot’s comments because I was also expecting a Wick style one man rampage. I’m also glad it didn’t go that route and instead seems to delight in doing the opposite of what is expected at most points. It’s some of the best of Cage, several great scenes but the restaurant in particular was brilliant. [8]
  • Escape Room : Tournament of Champions
    Glossy Saw-lite with forgettable characters and very tame horror. 
    Big old bag of meh. Finished it 20 mins ago and I've already forgotten most of it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 15. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 13/2
    I wasn’t a fan of the brown film stock / tint to the visuals but did mostly enjoy the slower pace and characterisation and twists and turns of this episode. 
    [7]
  • 24. Start Trek Beyond
    Pretty rubbish. Bad guy is a bit Dr Who shite rubber mask and I spent most of the film wondering why anything that was happening, was happening. Jokes fell flat, action was mostly boring and watching Kirk fail upwards yet again (I mean, how many fucking multi-trillion space buck ships are they going to let him destroy?) was mostly tedious. There was some serious cringe and cheese factor 11 pish in it towards the end too. 4
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I don't remember that one at all, which probably says all you need to know. Thought we would've seen another one by now but maybe another reboot in a few years with a new cast.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    20. MacGruber
    A MacGuyver spoof (from 2010) based on an SNL character. It's quite an odd thing, partly because a noticeable number of jokes have aged terribly but it's also very uneven in tone. There were still a few great laugh out loud moments which is all you need when it's a sketch but it's a bit too barren as a film. I did notice it's recently been revived as a TV show so might give that a go and see if it improves the ratio. [4]
  • 17. The Crush
    Obsessed, nutjob teen girl infatuates over Cary Elwes' older, handsome man neighbour in this Alicia Silverstone career launching, lightweight thriller. 6

18. Hot Tub Time Machine
    Four men inadvertently travel back to 1986 via a faulty hot tub and must attempt to re-enact past experiences to return. Silly and shallow but fun, with a likeable cast holding it all together. 6.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got a soft spot for HTTM - it's daft as fuck, but fun all the same.
  • Aye, it didn't demand a lot of my attention, but it held what I could afford.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    I don't remember that one at all, which probably says all you need to know. Thought we would've seen another one by now but maybe another reboot in a few years with a new cast.

The next day...
    New Star Trek film to begin production
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Got a soft spot for HTTM - it's daft as fuck, but fun all the same.

The running joke with Crispin Glover's arm was great.
  • Aye that was good. Surprised to see him turn up in it, random but added a frisson of unpredictability to the film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Sorrow and The Pity is a 4hr 20min documentary about the experiences of people during the occupation of the French city of Clermont Ferrard.

This film features in Woody Allen's Annie Hall and that's what put me onto this. It's a superb, challenging work. Speaking with those who fought in the Resistance and those who did not.

filmed 25 years after the war, there is a lot of shame, conveniently poor memories, and anger - depending on who is being interviewed.  I watched this over two nights as it is split into 2 parts and so provides a natural break.

Among the interviewees is a still suave post Suez Anthony Eden.

Recommended.
  • Sounds like a fun family film!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!