Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Munich: The Edge of War
    Or something like that. Political maneuvers and espionage just before the war. A bit long, but it was alright. Jeremy Irons as Chamberlain works. The guy playing Hitler not so much.
  • The Forgotten War
    Didn't fancy Munich as wanted something a bit more action-based. Three-way tale of how the lives of an English Tommy, a German Stormtrooper and a Dutch Girl briefly interwine at the beginning of the end of WW2 as it plays out in the flooded lowlands. If you enjoyed 1917 you'll like this more.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • 8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 23/1
    Much better! The kids are getting better at acting. Pacing and story better too. Possibly helped by change of director to Alfonso Cuaron. I enjoyed this one.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    18. Inside Man thought I’d give this another watch after being really impressed with it last year. The rewatch doesn’t hold up anywhere near as well once you know the pay off [7].
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 23/1
    Much better! The kids are getting better at acting. Pacing and story better too. Possibly helped by change of director to Alfonso Cuaron. I enjoyed this one.
    [7]

Those kids were probably half decent at the acting thing in the first place. It takes a great director to wring a good performance out of a decent performer. Cuaron made the best Potter and no mistake.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    19. Dallas Buyers Club Matthew and Jared are obviously both amazing and transformed in their roles. It’s a tricky film that deals with personal choice vs government plus corporate regulation that hits to the heart of a lot of debate around drug companies. Are they all evil? Probably. [8]
  • b0r1s wrote:
    19. Dallas Buyers Club Matthew and Jared are obviously both amazing and transformed in their roles. It’s a tricky film that deals with personal choice vs government plus corporate regulation that hits to the heart of a lot of debate around drug companies. Are they all evil? Probably. [8]

2349e2d0-9fec-4422-a7b8-b714ed8e2003_text.gif
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    16. Speed Racer I mean it's a nailed on, god-danged mutha fuckin filmmaking masterpiece is what it is. [10]

I'd probably go [9] but yeah, it's fucking great. Rare to encounter someone else that is so positive about it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    9. Another Round
    What a superb film. Even with all the praise I've heard, it still came as a pleasant surprise just how good it was. Mads is brilliant but the other three teachers were all great. It hit really hard at a few points but balanced so well with the lighter moments. A must watch. [9]

10. Judy & Punch
    An interesting concept but poorly executed. The actual story is paper thin and very little actually happened in 105 minutes. Throw in a couple of terrible accents (completely unnecessary too), poor production values and plot points that don't go anywhere. There were 2 or 3 darkly funny moments early on that were encouraging but never lives up to that promise. Herriman is having fun hamming it up but Wasikowska is doing the bare minimum. Probably would have been a good short but this is a mash up of half baked ideas that never come together. [4]
  • Is Another Round available on any of the streaming services right now?  Sounds like it's one I should check out!
  • Good webiste!  Thanks, just looked up other films on my list and also noticed that Another Round is actually on my list!
  • 12. Nobody
    Or, Better Call An Ambulance. Wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't really much of an idea what the film was outside of the poster image. What it is, is a tight 90 minutes of carnage brilliantly choreographed with a great Central performance. 9
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    12. Nobody
    Or, Better Call An Ambulance. Wasn't sure what to expect as I hadn't really much of an idea what the film was outside of the poster image. What it is, is a tight 90 minutes of carnage brilliantly choreographed with a great Central performance. 9

I watched this last night. I enjoyed it. Doesnt do anything new mind but good fun none the less
    PSN - minkymu
  • Sing 2. I haven't seen Sing 1 (but wife n kids have), but this was a solid, alebit by the numbers, animated music affair. Nice spread of genres in the tunes too. I'm sure there was some Mercury Rev in there. [7]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ghostbusters Afterlife. Kinda pointless but at least they tried to do something akin to a traditional sequel rather than just a reboot. Relatively enjoyable. [6]
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • 13. Encounter
    Riz Ahmed turns in a fantastic performance as a dad who rescues his kids from an insidious, micro-biological alien invasion and takes them on the road to try and escape the infection. Clever, unexpected and tense. 8
  • 12. Alice, Sweet Alice
    Catholicism flavoured, Omenesque, Don't Look Now influenced 1976 slasher. A girl is murdered at her first Communion and it is her sister, sweet yet troubled Alice who becomes the prime suspect. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cos wrote:
    16. Speed Racer I mean it's a nailed on, god-danged mutha fuckin filmmaking masterpiece is what it is. [10]

I'd probably go [9] but yeah, it's fucking great. Rare to encounter someone else that is so positive about it.

I posted that right after watching it so I was still on a high :P
    It's just so insanely impressive how zany and colourful and over the top it all is but it's still very readable throughout. That in itself is an achievement. I wish I saw it at the cinema
  • 13. Stitches
    Ross Noble makes a rare foray into acting as an apeshit undead clown with a grudge, resurrected to wreak revenge on the kids that caused his untimely demise. Silly, splatty, yet watchable comedy horror, an amusing umbrella death the stand out kill. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 14. The Wrestler
    Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are great (particularly Tomei...goddamn) In this story of a washed up wrestler who has fucked up everything that matters in his life. It's an acting masterclass, but the film left me a little underwhelmed - my least favourite of Aronofskys films. 7
  • Gremill wrote:
    14. The Wrestler Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are great (particularly Tomei...goddamn) In this story of a washed up wrestler who has fucked up everything that matters in his life. It's an acting masterclass, but the film left me a little underwhelmed - my least favourite of Aronofskys films. 7

I will cut you.
  • Gremill wrote:
    14. The Wrestler Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei are great (particularly Tomei...goddamn) In this story of a washed up wrestler who has fucked up everything that matters in his life. It's an acting masterclass, but the film left me a little underwhelmed - my least favourite of Aronofskys films. 7

I will cut you.

I can see why you'd love it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    I will cut you.
    I can see why you'd love it. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

I’m with you, Grem.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Wrestler is one of those films in which the lead part and the actor share a not dissimilar story arc. Rourke is mesmerising.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 9. We need to talk about KevinChrist, that was depressing. This is why I end up not liking Tilda Swinton, she always seems to play dislikeable characters and is a very good actor. A real back handed compliment.
    Decent enough movie, took a bit of time to get going really. I seem to remember there being a fuss over this but can't remember what. Glorifying school killers maybe? Whatever dude shit himself at like 7. I'll score based on my enjoyment even though its probably a better movie than this.
    [6]
  • It was nice knowing you Liv but you bad mouthed a Lynne Ramsay film so now the film police are going to come and take you away
  • Shit, I've upset the jocks!
  • 18. Belle
    Anime Beauty and the Beast but not really because that's just one of too many storylines that's never properly fleshed out or executed well. Scattered and messy. Good songs, not enough of them.
    [3]
  • 19. Resolution
    Definitely worth rewatching. Such a well made low budget film. Makes me want to re-watch The Battery as well. Also the Bluray has a full length commentary with the dog from the film, very funny.
    [9]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!