Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Never watched an F&F film. The trailers put me off.
    Same here. I was initially put off due to them being about car culture and all that bobbins. I know they're now much more about being big dumb action movies so I feel like at some point I might as well just watch them all.
  • Broke: F&F Film

Woke: FNF Film
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I get that they're idiot cinema for idiots but man they know it so well and if you're an idiot who enjoyed *looks around* fuckin Cobra then they're worth a shot. I like them for how well they actually navigate the sincerity/ hilarity.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And I've got a degree in film so suck it geeks.
  • I just love them as a brilliant form of escapism. They aren't claiming to be anything other than big dumb fun.

Except for the ending to 7 which made me cry in the cinema
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Nobody else is doing car stuff as good as the Furious movies do it. The old school explosive action isnt really done as much elsewhere either.

The franchise is almost an entirely different thing to where it started though. 4 started the shift, 5 got the budget and The Rock.

If you have watched any of the first 3 and didnt like them, I would suggest putting 5 on and see if you feel different. Still dont like them whatevs.
  • Apparently the new Nic Cage is a blast
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Never watched Hobbs and Shaw, I'll give it a crack now
  • I just love them as a brilliant form of escapism. They aren't claiming to be anything other than big dumb fun.

Just think how much big dumb fun they are for us car geeks who were even into the early ones.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Apparently the new Nic Cage is a blast

Pig?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have nothing against F&F - just didn't fancy them. I love a big daft film as much as (and maybe more) than the next guy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve never watched an F&F film. If a streaming service were to get their hands on the whole lot, I’d probably watch them all over the course of a couple of weeks. Similar to the Mission: Impossible films.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Apparently the new Nic Cage is a blast
    Pig?

Yup. Apparently Cage's character is something like a cross between Gordon Ramsey and Tyler Durden, according to this stellar review (warning: may be more fun to go into this film knowing nothing about it):

https://www.avclub.com/pig-is-so-much-richer-and-stranger-than-the-nicolas-cag-1847281425
  • Pig looks like it could either be incredible or terrible. Whatever it is, it won’t be boring.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm always up for a bit of Cage.
  • I’ll bat for Mandy. I think that was great.
  • Mandy was insane. Top tier cage. Up there with Face off, raising Arizona and wild at heart
    PSN - minkymu
  • Was convinced I'd like Mandy, ended up disappointed.  Will give Pig a go, I tend to watch most things with Cage in eventually.  His performances are oddly rewarding regardless how poor the movie is, the only NC film I've genuinely regretted watching is Left Behind, which wasn't even vaguely enjoyable in any way.  Take Next for example - it's a terrible film - but Cage makes it enjoyable for a multitude of reasons, one of them being his little mustard jacket.  I watched Ghost Rider for the first time last month...it is crap, obviously, but I didn't hate it.
  • Don't watch him in The Colour of Out of Space, cos he is shit in that too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
    Some films are easy to recommend, with obvious widespread appeal, whilst others are very much less so, but you find yourself offering them out to the world in the belief that there will be a small group of people who love them, even whilst everyone else rolls their eyes.

This is one of those latter films. It's a ghost story - but in the traditional sense. If you're wanting an edge of your seat thrill ride you'll be wildly disappointed. It's a slow burner, interested much more in atmosphere than scares.  It's a film full of long takes of empty corridors, or unoccupied chairs. It owes more to "Whistle and I'll Come To You" than it does Paranormal Activity.

It's a film that feels like it should be a book, or perhaps a stage play, but equally could only ever really work in the medium it's in. 

The admittedly slight story is of Lily, a palliative care nurse who has come to live with her patient - Iris Blum - a famous author of horror stories that Lily is far too frightened to read. The film tells us right from the off that Lily "turned 28 three days ago.  I will never turn 29".  And so we wait for her death.  Just as Lily waits for Iris's inevitable end. 

There's more, obviously, chiefly the reveal of one of Iris's own stories (which is also, tellingly, missing an ending). But mostly this is a tale of isolation, death, and the march of time.

Ruth Wilson is brilliant, selling this strange character who speaks in softly uttered anachronisms, a mouse who is terrified of the world even before she's offered a reason to be. 

So, yes, I loved it.  A film that slowly unfurls in your mind after the event, offering up new things to mull over, despite so little happening.  I can very much imagine others absolutely hating it, and I would entirely understand why. It's slow, very little happens, and the finale is likely to frustrate a lot of viewers. (I thought it was great.)

In short, a cautious recommendation. Not a movie for popcorn and a few beers, but late at night in a creaky old house it might just hit the spot.
  • It’s a bloody brilliant title, for starters.
  • I like the sound of that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've always preferred this type of thing to "jumpy ones". Jumps are a good laugh but they don't stay with you, apart from a few notables such as the head in Jaws - my brother lifted out of the seat in the cinema at that one.  :)
  • I enjoyed that too, fished it out of a hidden gems horror list at some point iirc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll put that on my to watch list.
  • I can second Tin’s recommendation, although I am wondering if we both found the same list of horror to watch what with this and Cam turning up
  • Tempy wrote:
    I can second Tin’s recommendation, although I am wondering if we both found the same list of horror to watch what with this and Cam turning up

I have a "film club" thing with a few friends where we agree to watch movies and then discuss them.  I'm now trying to remember who suggested which movie...
  • I feel like going on a Neill Blomkamp binge.

He has a new techo horror movie out soon so its a perfect time to watch his back catalogue. I cant find a streaming service that has chappie on it though.

Also if anyone hasn’t seem any of the Oats studio output on youtube, watch the rivergod episode and tell me thats not fantastic. Was started down the line to develop into a movie but got canned.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s on Prime. I started it the other day but couldn’t get into it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Come at me:

Blompkamp hasn't made a single good film.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!