Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought Saint Maud was fantastic, maybe film of the year.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Cam After watching this my wife asked me what she knew Madeline Brewer from, so we looked it up on IMDB (Handmaid's Tale).  As a result I then fell down a rabbit hole of reading user reviews, and being reminded that, once again, I'm largely out of tune with the rest of the world. Based on those reviews it's a film aimed at teenage boys that doesn't have a proper ending, doesn't make any sense and is a waste of 90 minutes. Whereas I really liked it.  This is maybe all the more surprising given that I guess it technically also sits in the "slow burn psychological horror" column.  It's a film about a cam-girl who finds that her identity has been stolen by an apparent online doppelganger. The film does a good job of establishing "Lola's" world, and is that rare instance of a movie in which a sex worker is depicted as, well, a normal human being. (Rather than either a criminal or a victim.) I genuinely don't understand complaints that it makes no sense, and if anything I would have preferred it to make less sense. 
    Spoiler:
    Ultimately it's a film about identity and self determination as much as it's a film about sex workers or creepy doppelgangers. It's cleverer and more thoughtful than it appears at first blush - though I appreciate I may be the only one who thinks so.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I absolutely loved it and remembered arguing to the hilt for it on here when it first dropped, but that's a long time ago now and it's lost a few hundred pages back.

Edit:I've spent half an hour looking for this stuff and can't find it.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Currently watching RoboCop the remake and and I can't put my finger on it but something's not quite right is it? I mean it should work, it's a stellar cast and there are one or two memorable set pieces - but did they really think they could eclipse the original in any way shape or form? I mean really, what was the point of even trying?

I still reflect regularly on the fact they saved his hand, for no discernible reason. It played no role in the film at all.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought Saint Maud
    Spoiler:

Was a good watch, although I found it being made around palliative care the most uncomfortable thing about it
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought the last shot was the icing on the cake. 
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I thought the last shot was the icing on the cake. 
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    True, but the whole film is only from her perspective. Why would it suddenly not be? All saints, if you look at history, are varying degrees of deluded. I guess my point is, I don't think
    Spoiler:
  • I thought St Maud was perfectly cromulant. Not bad but not great either
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tempy wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Cam After watching this my wife asked me what she knew Madeline Brewer from, so we looked it up on IMDB (Handmaid's Tale).  As a result I then fell down a rabbit hole of reading user reviews, and being reminded that, once again, I'm largely out of tune with the rest of the world. Based on those reviews it's a film aimed at teenage boys that doesn't have a proper ending, doesn't make any sense and is a waste of 90 minutes. Whereas I really liked it.  This is maybe all the more surprising given that I guess it technically also sits in the "slow burn psychological horror" column.  It's a film about a cam-girl who finds that her identity has been stolen by an apparent online doppelganger. The film does a good job of establishing "Lola's" world, and is that rare instance of a movie in which a sex worker is depicted as, well, a normal human being. (Rather than either a criminal or a victim.) I genuinely don't understand complaints that it makes no sense, and if anything I would have preferred it to make less sense. 
    Spoiler:
    Ultimately it's a film about identity and self determination as much as it's a film about sex workers or creepy doppelgangers. It's cleverer and more thoughtful than it appears at first blush - though I appreciate I may be the only one who thinks so.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I absolutely loved it and remembered arguing to the hilt for it on here when it first dropped, but that's a long time ago now and it's lost a few hundred pages back.

Edit:I've spent half an hour looking for this stuff and can't find it.

I really enjoyed Cam too. More of this sort of low budget stuff plz.
  • In a completely different category of film to those Tin discusses...
    I watched Hobbs and Shaw the other night. it was probably even sillier and more over the top than i expected. two thumbs up!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I thought the last shot in Saint Maud
    Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well yeah. I think it's unambiguous enough to be interpreted in more than one way.
  • End of Saint Maud
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sisters Bros is great. Was a cinema watch for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Sisters Brothers is one of the best books of the last 20 years.  It’s incredible.  The film knows this and aims to capture it’s tine and mood and does this well.  It makes for a slightly less brilliant film though.
  • In a completely different category of film to those Tin discusses...
    I watched Hobbs and Shaw the other night. it was probably even sillier and more over the top than i expected. two thumbs up!

It’s ridiculous and it’s great. I’m gonna watch it again now that it’s on Netflix.

• Hobbs and Shaw is amazing. It's everything I want from a big action movie.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The Sisters Brothers is one of the best books of the last 20 years.  It’s incredible.  The film knows this and aims to capture it’s tine and mood and does this well.  It makes for a slightly less brilliant film though.

I'll have to pick that up. I enjoyed the film but similar to others, something just didn't sit quite right with it. Almost like the separate strands weren't really designed to be woven together. The Gyllenhaal and Ahmed piece felt out of place at times but probably would've enjoyed a film about their story alone.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not normally a big lad exploding everything it's cobra 2021 let's go guy, but Hobbs and Shaw is a great movie I'd give 5 stars to.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm not normally a big lad exploding everything it's cobra 2021 let's go guy, but Hobbs and Shaw is a great movie I'd give 5 stars to.

7 stars in the Tokyo Dome.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Val Kilmer doc out in August. I didn't know the poor fucker had throat cancer and now has to use a voice box to speak.
  • I didn't realise it was that bad, but I do remember reading years ago about how his voice was being dubbed in a major movie by an impressionist because of his illness.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cosby wrote:
    The Sisters Brothers is one of the best books of the last 20 years.  It’s incredible.  The film knows this and aims to capture it’s tine and mood and does this well.  It makes for a slightly less brilliant film though.

I'll have to pick that up. I enjoyed the film but similar to others, something just didn't sit quite right with it. Almost like the separate strands weren't really designed to be woven together. The Gyllenhaal and Ahmed piece felt out of place at times but probably would've enjoyed a film about their story alone.

I just bought it, had to after a recommendation like that. The film hit the right spot for me, I thought it was the best modern western since....Meek's Cutoff? I'm possibly forgetting something in between.
  • Looking forward to the Val doc. Should be special
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cosby wrote:

I just bought it, had to after a recommendation like that. The film hit the right spot for me, I thought it was the best modern western since....Meek's Cutoff? I'm possibly forgetting something in between.

I think it’s a great film but I was there on opening night because of the book. It was nominated, and should have won, the Booker prize. The author is all over the place with his genres but his latest is also great.

I’d like more time with the brothers though.
  • Would you consider the book a sci fi?

I remember reading the book and I think from the trailer it seemed more goofy than how I read the book. I found it funny the height of decadence was brushing teeth.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hope the Kilmer doc covers Island of Dr Moreau.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Furie (2019) - French horror/thriller about a family fucking off for 2 months, let their babysitter stay at theirs and due to squatting and paperwork they come back to find out that they don't have the right to live there now.

Distinct plays on family/race/BEING AN ALPHA BRO culminating in a suitably mental French ending. Really enjoyed it, even if it's nothing new.
  • Would you consider the book a sci fi?

I remember reading the book and I think from the trailer it seemed more goofy than how I read the book. I found it funny the height of decadence was brushing teeth.

Um, dumb dumb over here read it as a western, so sci-fi is a bit of a stretch for me? I’d like to know your reasoning though. It’s an interesting POV.
  • Isn’t the main driver
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!