Can't Help Falling in Love
‹ Previous1234
  • The worst game you liked.

Can you think of any games that are generally considered stinkers that you devoted considerable a considerable amount of time to?  Or have fond memories of, regardless of their supposed wankness?  This is probably easier the further you go back, as I'd imagine we all ploughed through some guff as kids. 

Either put a case forward for a game that you think got a bum deal, or just explain the circumstances surrounding the days you wasted stacking boxes in Trespasser

Hidden and Dangerous on Dreamcast is probably chip leader for me. Not only were the keyboard controls poorly shoehorned into the limited pad inputs, it may be glitchiest/most bug-ridden game I've ever played. The framerate in a late vehicle level rendered that section totally unplayable due to lazy programming or a 'fuck it, just get it on the shelves' attitude from someone higher up (you could genuinely count the frames; without exaggeration it just wasn't ready for release). Loved it to bits though, and have very fond memories of attempting to beat the level where you start off in a ditch and have to storm a mansion full of Nazis. The DC controls were so cumbersome it was basically just a poor FPS with four lives per level, as the squad stuff was so awkward to do, but I have a special place in my memorybox for it anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Flappy Bird
  • Bullet Witch

Fortunately my (3rd, I think) 360 died on me, and by the time I got it back from MS I couldn't be arsed playing it again.
  • Is Bullet Witch the game that gives you 1 achievement point for completing the hardest difficulty level?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    OTTOMH Singularity wasn't greatly received IIRC but I really enjoyed it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is Bullet Witch the game that gives you 1 achievement point for completing the hardest difficulty level?

Might be,sounds familiar. Never got that far sadly.
  • It could've been quite a good game if they'd just spent a little longer on it. I think I got into it because it vauely reminded me of P.N.03, which I still love to this day. Unlike P.N.03 it just wasn't good enough to persevere with all the way through to the end / hardest settings (Butterfly suit ftw).
  • Hidden & Dangerous was great.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mach Rider.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Privateer 2: The Darkening

Staring Clive Owen.
  • Ooh, I loved that when younger. The mention of PN03 reminds me a lot of people didn't like it, but I did.

Add to the list:
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul - the world felt really cohesive and real to me and Bowie rocks pretty much everything he does.
    Spider-man: The Movie - The stealth bits were sorely missed from the second (better) one, as was the ability to accurately dive from a great height onto someone's head.
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Linear doesn't mean not good. No towns or NPC quests and stuff doesn't mean not good. Ok, it's a shot story, but that fighting system. And customisation on weapons etc. A thoroughly enjoyable game. Just not great. Edge and others can go fuck themselves.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    PN03 was excellent, fools don't know shit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Way, way back this one.

Defender for the Atari 2600. This cost my parents £30 in 1982-3, which , according to inflation calculators in £85-£90 in today's money.

It was pretty shit. The ship disappeared when you fired (the hardware sprites must have been shared between the shot and the player ship) and most of the time the game flickered like hell.

The implementation of the swarmers, one of Defender's most feared enemies, was pitiful - instead of a swarm of tiny homing-in-you bastards you got a single sprite that bluffed four of then in formation and could be taken out in a single shot.

You know what though? It KIND of played OK despite all of this, and I played the hell out of it. I clocked the score (1m) and the wave counter (99) and played it at hardest diff too (slow ship movement). I even found the easter egg with the programmer's initials (BP for Bob Pularo - all enemies turn into those initials on the 25th wave if your ship sits on the 25th scan line on the TV screen) The number of hours I played that , it must have worked out at pennies per hour - so maybe it was money well spent.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Motorstorm.

Unfair AI. A mere six courses. Under-delivering on advertised tech.

But so many funs. Much physics. What vehicles.
  • Quantum of Solace

For a fairly bog standard FPS, I completed the campaign twice and put a lot of hours into the fairly buggy multiplayer.  For some, it really clicked with me.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Final Fantasy XIII Linear doesn't mean not good. No towns or NPC quests and stuff doesn't mean not good. Ok, it's a shot story, but that fighting system. And customisation on weapons etc. A thoroughly enjoyable game. Just not great. Edge and others can go fuck themselves.

That card game.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Was there game a card game in XIII? Or are you thinking of VIII (which arguably also applies for this thread)...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Motorstorm.

Unfair AI. A mere six courses. Under-delivering on advertised tech.

But so many funs. Much physics. What vehicles.

Is Motorstorm considered bad? I loved it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Was there game a card game in XIII? Or are you thinking of VIII (which arguably also applies for this thread)...

FFVIII was the worst game you played and liked?? High standards, dude! It's not considered a bad game. 

And no, XIII didn't have a card game. Only VIII and IC as far as I am aware.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Def Jam Vendetta on the ps2 (the second def jam game). Starved of an aki wrestling game and not loving the Smackdown series, DJV was great fun. Blinging up your fighter actual made so much sense in the game and though shallow as hell, it featured some bone crunching moves.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dead Island. I completed it twice. Once solo and one co-op....and really enjoyed it!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Sumotori - funniest game ever.
    I was late to Elastomania as well, so it was pretty shonky by the time I got hooked.
  • Advent Rising. Got slated in reviews, didn't sell well and was generally hated by all...except me.

I adored it. The gameplay was fun and varied, the story was entertaining and could've been something to take on Halo, had the game not been hated by so many. Gutted that it had a really great, cliffhanger ending that will never have the sequel to finish the story.
  • Road Rash 3D. I actually don't understand why nobody liked it. Loved the open world and how unforgiving it could be. It wasn't so uncommon to be in 1st place right up until the end, get smashed by an oncoming car at the crest of a hill, then get run over by 16 people consecutively. Wonderful. Even better when it was the other way around and you'd approach the last bend and overtake a dozen bikes and riders scattered across the road. 

I also liked Driver 3. With this at least i can see why the game was actually shit, but i still had a lot of fun editing replays with comedy glitches, which were common. The infinite mass cheat was brilliant too.
  • That I loved a great many games already mentioned says a lot about my tastes.

X-Blades is my go-to answer for this type of thread.  I haven't played it in a while.

Earth Defence Force is popular, despite not being very great.  I fully understand why.

The games coming most to mind now, though, are the multi-genre Bond games on the PSone, which led to my enjoyment of Blood Stone.  Each section was always weaker than any equivalent game, but as a whole, they were great.  No, honestly, listen, they were awesome.
  • I'm with you on Blood Stone. Thought it was fantastic.
  • Team Buddies
    There was an absolutely solid game concept in it. Like a RTS but simplified right down to make it work on consoles and move at a much faster pace.
    The risk reward system worked well, deciding whether to quickly build an Uzi or try and build up to a tank before you get attacked by the other team.

The game was insanely hard and most reviewers couldn't get over the use of strong language and it scored very low.

I would love someone to take the basic concept and polish the edges a bit.
  • Def Jam Vendetta was aces! I loved that game, my afro sweat band wearing hipster was well tough!

Mine are Virtua Striker on the DC and GC, Eternal Champions on the Megadrive and a game called Wreckless on the OG Xbox.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Eternal Champions on the Megadrive

Critically acclaimed (97 and 98 in two Sega mags iirc), yet you're the only person I've seen talk about it with any real fondness online.  I wasn't a fan myself, although I did fancy the Mega CD version.  If my memory was better I could tell you the anecdote Richard Ledbetter told me about staff being on holiday and someone covering the review for both EMAP magazines, hence the crazy score (or something along those lines) but it was sixteen years ago.  There's also a possibility I'm getting his actual response confused with something I've read since, but I did ask.
  • I heard that too. I actually found the Mean Machines review (Sonic 3 front cover) a couple of weeks ago (I was so obsessed with that review I remember falling asleep with it) and it actually reads more like a preview with a review score tagged on the end. I think Radeon Automatic scored it.

Playing it recently it is definitely flawed, its far too difficult for a start and the animation and amount of dither on some of the levels is shocking. Yet the setting/plot ( its a fighter I know!), the character list (clichéd but varied) and move set (some great moves like Nightmares stomach punch) elevated it above so many games for me.

Two player helped as I had some mates who invested in it so we had some pretty intense battles.

I'd so love a HD reboot but the story is that as this was produced by SEGA US, SEGA JAP didn't want a rival to  its own Virtua  Fighter so any plans for an ET 3 were canned (understandably tbh)
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!