• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I doubt it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I dunno, there's definitely an overlap but it's quite a different beast. Hard to be objective on that though as I still like the first one.
  • Kermode wasn't a fan of the first but really liked the new one, if that helps at all...
  • Hmmm.  If I can convince a friend, I still might watch it on the big screen for the spectacle, the dogfughts/flying was the only thing I remotely enjoyed from the first one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    There's much more flying in this one and done much better too.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Actually, I'll stick my neck out and say you should watch it. It's bloody great cinema spectacle if nothing else. Send me the bill if you don't like it ;)
  • Cheers.  It's now been moved from the best screen to a small screen but still.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    If I recently watched the original and thought it was gash, will I still like it?

My wife went to see Maverick the other week with some friends.  She watched the original Top Gun first as preparation and hated it.  Her review of Maverick was that they'd basically made the same film, but had improved it substantially. (Though she still thought it was fundamentally stupid.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well - the original is a stupid film.    :)
  • Cos wrote:
    I'd love to see a making of/behind the scenes for this …

Not quite what you’re after, but there are interviews about the making here.

And there’s a nice little film from Lockheed about the concept ’plane they made for the movie.
  • Cos can be my wingman anytime, rest of you can crash and burn. TG:M is awesome, saw it at the IMAX where it was double awesome.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Cos can be my wingman anytime

Bullshit. You can be mine.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Cheers, Pop! I'll watch those this afternoon.
  • Cos wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    Cos can be my wingman anytime
    Bullshit. You can be mine.

giphy.webp
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only review of Top Gun I’m interested in is Elm’s.
  • I'm not... I once asked him on Live if he had ever buzzed the tower, he hadn't.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blood Diamond is a good old yarn about a diamond smuggler in war torn Africa. Blood is right.  

Requires suspension of belief in places when it gets a bit Rambo, but Leo does another great job  in the lead. Jennifer Connolly does a good job and wow she looks fine.  :)   Djimon Hounsou (recognised from Gladiator but had to google him) is great in main support - moves from gentle to rage while maintaining authenticity.

Script is a tad simplistic and it probably goes on for too long, but there ye go. Leo makes it watchable.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fucking Roadhouse the neet. Dunno how or why, but it ended up on my Roger Melly all the same. Pure shite, but Swayze had something about him
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'm not one for having heroes. I have people I admire for different reasons but there aren't many of them. When it comes to sport there are a few people who were around when I was of a certain age. The very few who create a sense of awe in the spectator. One of those people is Diego Maradonna, another was Ayrton Senna.  There is no-one close before or since. Some of his races are like film scripts and watching the man drive in the rain showed the gap between him and everyone else on the track. Senna is a documentary of him, showing early footage of him go-karting and also showing the first person view of the last seconds of his life. Footage even now that gives me a sense of dread and sadness. This film highlights how better he was than even I realised. Brilliant piece of work.

Turns out the guy who made this has also made a doc about Diego Maradonna!  Seeking that out.

Also did the Amy Winehouse one - it seems he and I have very similar tastes (he's 50).
  • Plane Edition

69. Kajillionaire
    Worth a go if you can dig the indie weirdness side of it. About a family of con artists who aren't a very good family. Has Richard Jenkins in it so that has to stand for something.
    [7]

70. The Way Back
    As easy as a film like this is to watch it's also fairly offensive in how easy it is for the characters to improve. Mr alcoholic just decides to stop drinking. Quiet kid finds his voice with a little encouragement etc
    [4]

71. Nitram
    Hard to know how to feel about this one. Is it exploitative? Or is it trying to make a point about gun violence that is still pertinent today? It's a Damaged People but it's also well acted.
    [7]

72. The Little Things
    I think this was a good script. Or story at least. Terrible film though. Editing is shit, there's no thrill and there's no good execution of any reveals or big story moments. Must have read well to get that cast though.
    [3]
  • Long flight somewhere Shabs?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 31. The Father - 10/6
    Anthony Hopkins is brilliant as an aging father whose health is declining, relying more and more on care but refusing to accept it. Brilliantly written, directed and acted.
    [9]
  • Cos wrote:
    60. The Father I was not prepared for that. The intimate look at living with dementia was possibly one of the most terrifying films I’ve seen in some time. The way it’s constructed is incredibly clever so plenty to appreciate. Hopkins is superb, heartbreaking to watch at times and that last scene fucking ruined me. A fantastic film I will never watch again. [9]

I lost a very close aunt to dementia not long ago, just before Covid lockdown.  Hit hard.  Hit my mother (it was her sister) very hard.  And I know the family (my cousins) really struggled with my aunt for years, but they never gave up.

My mother doesn't have dementia, or any signs of it (yet), but I watched the film and was thinking of my aunt and my mother too and it's a tough one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The ending of The Father is an absolute hammer blow. I was left physically shaken.
  • Men - Alex Garland's not a subtle man is he?  If it weren't for the budget and A-list cast you'd be forgiven for thinking this was made by some fresh faced film graduate keen to shove all his ideas on screen, rather than a relatively experienced filmmaker and novelist. I guess it's in keeping with his previous work, more focussed on the ideas, and the feeling, than on any conventional story telling as such.

None of which really matters, because the film compensates for its lack of subtlety and narrative shortcomings with some extraordinary performances, and wonderful visual and audio flourishes. In fact, it's the sound that really struck me with this - from the sound design, to the music and motifs. An early scene, in which our protagonist plays with her own echo is extraordinary - it ignores how echoes actually work, and as a result produces something every bit as pleasing as a "true" echo in real life. That sense of heightened reality is a great strength in the movie - my favourite scenes are really before everything blows up - beautiful, lyrical depictions of the natural world that made me yearn for Garland to allow himself to linger in that mindset for a whole movie one day.

When stuff happens of course, it happens with style, a series of gradually escalating scenes in which Jessie Buckley is pitted against...
    Spoiler:
    So, yeah.  I enjoyed it a fair bit, but found myself looking forward to the next stage in Garland's directorial career, at the expense of truly appreciating this one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aliens (special edition)

As fun and rip roaring as ever. I haven't watched this in a long, long time.  I was surprised how short the shots are of aliens getting blitzed but I suspect given the tech of the time it's for the better. The odd creaky effect (the ship flying through the clouds) surprised me but it is 36 years old.  Detracts not a jot.    Not seeing the aliens a great deal keeps the tension up and keeps it in line with the original - and of course we get the Queen payoff which makes it all the better. 

The special edition is longer and has some scenes near the start at the colony and covers the little girl's back story and the discovery of the aliens.  I don't remember seeing those early scenes before though I don't remember much else different - but it's been a long time.

Overall, great stuff.  The story could have ended here too but I still wish Alien didn't have sequels.
  • I think the automatic sentry guns bit was added for the special edition. I don’t think it brought anything important to the film though. And wasn’t there a bit more of the Ripley/Burke interaction from before she agrees to go on the mission? I think the whole conversation where she learns that her daughter is dead was added.
  • I love the sentry guns part, and more wind up where they persuade her to go, but seeing the colony beforehand takes away from the story IMHO. I think it works better left as a “what the hell happened here” mystery only seeing the after effects.
    Also, seeing the Captain from Red Dwarf in there really pops me out of the vibe.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah....he used to be the stock Yank on Brit TV shows.
  • Tenet - Absolute shite. Maybe it's better if you watch it backwards or something. But fuck wasting another 2.5 hours.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!